U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 3,271 times

Advertisements

Sanyo - Roku 65", 4K HDR flat screen Smart TV.

There is a problem with only one particular channel (47.5). The picture will cut-out (goes Black), for about 1/2 to 1 full second, then comes back on. During that time, if I hit the "OK" button during that time, the normal Black information Band will display showing that there are three bars for reception (which is good reception), and the station number, etc. displays that indicates that the problem is NOT due to the station's broadcasting having a problem...it has to be my TV. Besides, this has gone on for weeks now. Logically, if it were a problem with the station, it would have been fixed by now.

In the early days of TV, such a problem would be dealt with by taking the tuner apart and cleaning the points (yes, I am that old). However, rotary tuners with points are thing of the distant past. It acts very much like a cold solder joint. In short, I do not know how individual channels are selected on the current solid state TVs.

So, what is wrong, how can it be fixed.

I emailed Sanyo and they responded with an idiotic, "rescan channel", with the lack of articles in the message indicating a likely Chinese source whose skill-set is answering the phone not technical expertise.

Please only bonafide TV repairmen answer...I do not need guesses...I can make my own guesses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 06:55 PM

13,682 posts, read 6,825,323 times
I’ll provide this link and then bow out as I’m not a bonafide TV repairman. In reality the problem you’re having wouldn’t be fixed by a repairman anymore - the boards are disposable and just swapped out.

Good luck.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...-my-CM7000PAL-

Old 09-21-2020, 01:46 PM

4,955 posts, read 3,450,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Sanyo - Roku 65", 4K HDR flat screen Smart TV.

There is a problem with only one particular channel (47.5). The picture will cut-out (goes Black), for about 1/2 to 1 full second, then comes back on. During that time, if I hit the "OK" button during that time, the normal Black information Band will display showing that there are three bars for reception (which is good reception), and the station number, etc. displays that indicates that the problem is NOT due to the station's broadcasting having a problem...it has to be my TV. Besides, this has gone on for weeks now. Logically, if it were a problem with the station, it would have been fixed by now.

In the early days of TV, such a problem would be dealt with by taking the tuner apart and cleaning the points (yes, I am that old). However, rotary tuners with points are thing of the distant past. It acts very much like a cold solder joint. In short, I do not know how individual channels are selected on the current solid state TVs.

So, what is wrong, how can it be fixed.

I emailed Sanyo and they responded with an idiotic, "rescan channel", with the lack of articles in the message indicating a likely Chinese source whose skill-set is answering the phone not technical expertise.

Please only bonafide TV repairmen answer...I do not need guesses...I can make my own guesses.
There are way too many variables for anyone to give you the correct answer even by a TV repairman.

Without going by a process of elimination, something that a "TV repairman" would do anyway. All they do is troubleshoot, something you need to do yourself. Very few are repairing TV's anymore so that doesn't really apply, and I also doubt they are making house calls these days. Take it or call a TV repairman to see what he tells you to and see what I mean. Even if they did find the problem to be the TV itself, it's not something they can fix, they replace and it may cost you more than another TV. That is the way modern electronics work. It's integrated circuits, not vacuum tubes. It's digital not analog.

I would suspect the station itself is having intermittent issues. It's not signal strength according to the three bars you mention. It could be the TV itself but you could eliminate that possibility by trying another TV at the same location. It could be the antenna or TV tuner but why only that station? If it does the same thing, there is your answer. It is the station. You have to eliminate things till you find the answer.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 PM

19,755 posts, read 59,743,398 times
Heh. I used to replace flyback circuits in monitors, and have replaced more than my share of caps and played fiddle with slot pots, but don't count myself as a TV tech. ALL of that is long gone. So... not guessing...

1. Call the tv station during business hours and ask to speak with the chief engineer when he has time. Describe your problem, on the off chance that other viewers have the same issues. Chances are slim to none, but that is part of the logic tree of elimination.

2. After #1, call Sanyo for tech support. KEEP THEM ON THE PHONE. Do the rescan, follow their script, when it doesn't work, ask to be transferred up one level of support. Rinse, lather, repeat. IF your set is still under warranty, demand a replacement. If not, prepare to suck wind.

Where we used to be able to swap parts out at a component level, now there might be a half-dozen boards in a set, each with ten times the number of components that were in an old tv. "Fixing" requires a shotgun and birdshot. I'm sure you ran across "potted" circuits. Consider the entire set a potted circuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics