U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 10:10 AM

9,684 posts, read 4,689,502 times

Advertisements

Well, that V shaped response is a current fad where everything bass and treble is over boosted. For music it makes it sound like you've got one ear stuck inside the kick drum and the other 1" away from the hi-hat.

Movies in theatres are practically unwatchable for me due to overboosted bass that makes a quiet scene from a movie of a Jane Austen novel sound like a dramatic fight and explosions scene from a superhero movie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 09:03 AM

9,684 posts, read 4,689,502 times
I found my old AKG headphones last night, they're K270 model.

Great headphones.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:14 PM

29,180 posts, read 22,003,928 times
If you are talking in terms of wiring in to a receiver or similar, Sennheiser has been at the top of my list for nearly twenty years. I've been an avid headphone guy for many years. Aside from a couple of Grado sets with a good headphone amp, Sennheiser was my choice with the HD212 Pro when I was a kid in high school, and they remain my premiere choice today.

Old 11-09-2020, 04:40 AM

921 posts, read 1,750,606 times
Im curious about this too but interested in headphones that can connect to ideally a TV, not only to a mobile device (if not the TV itself, then maybe a Blu-ray player or some other amp, but the TV itself would be great!).

Old 11-09-2020, 07:12 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,983 posts, read 1,274,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Im curious about this too but interested in headphones that can
connect to ideally a TV, not only to a mobile device (if not the TV itself,
then maybe a Blu-ray player or some other amp, but the TV itself would
be great!).
Headphone jacks on TVs, while I find quite useful for detailed listening, are becoming a rare commodity these days. My 2005 Toshiba flat face CRT has one, but neither my 24" LCD or LED have one. Relaxing with headphones and a TV is just something few folks under forty partake in lately.

But some of the makes and models myself and others have mentioned here: Sony, AKG, Beyer, are far closer to 'studio reference' than Beats, etc. The only limit is in how much you are willing to $pend. Some Sennheisers are economically obtained, such as the HD-280 pro, while one of their most acclaimed models, the HD-800, could go for at least $500.

Warning: Some late model TVs have what looks like a mini(1/8") headphone jack on the back, including my Samsung smart LED. If you look carefully at its labeling, you will notice it says "Audio Out", or(rarely) "To Hi-Fi". This is a line-level audio output as much as RCA outputs are, and you could damage your hearing and/or headphones by plugging such into it! Just so you know the difference.

A proper headphone jack will either have "Phones", "Earphone", or a headphone icon near it. With headphones such as the aforementioned high-end Sennheisers, you might need to set the volume much higher for a comfortable listening level. That's ok, as long as you remember to lower the TV volume before connecting or disconnecting headphones, or before wearing them.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:20 AM

12,954 posts, read 15,062,327 times
Roku has one of the models that has a headphone jack IN THE REMOTE. So I wouldn't say only people over 40 appreciate it.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny4 View Post
What do you guys recommend? Price is not an issue, but I would like to be able to receive a refund if I don’t find them satisfactory.
bose q.c.-700.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:09 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,983 posts, read 1,274,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
bose q.c.-700.
I'm sure those sound fine, but I personally avoid recommending any headphones with noise cancelling or other enhancements.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 1,589,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Roku has one of the models that has a headphone jack IN THE REMOTE. So I wouldn't say only people over 40 appreciate it.
I have that Roku. It's such a poor design. They should have used a LIon battery. The batteries die so quickly if you use the remote for headphones. It works great, but not for long.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 3,378,742 times
Almost nobody is going to have headphones hooked up to a TV and have a cable run across the room. This is 2020, not 1985.

The answer is to use the audio out on your tv and feed it into a bluetooth transmitter. You can get any set of bluetooth ear/head phones and you are in business. You could use this setup for any device that has an audio-out of some kind.

As for media players like the Roku and Amazon Firestick, many of those already have bluetooth built-in.

You could also use a BT receiver and stick to your wired headphones if you prefer.

This device is both a transmitter and receiver, leaving your options wide open. This is an economical version, there are way more available.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TVPVC7N/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics