U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 11:10 PM

110 posts, read 115,882 times

Advertisements

I’m looking at getting an e-reader. Which one do you guys suggest? My only thing is that it has a color screen if scrolling through the titles and not black and white
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 06:09 AM

13,607 posts, read 6,726,379 times
I’m not aware of a true eInk color screen in either model yet, so you’re looking at a tablet.

If you’re getting a tablet and don’t care about size then just get a base iPad and use the Kindle app.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:51 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times
E-ink does make a color E-ink module; however, I have not found any actual E-reader that uses it, at this time. I believe the module is being used for high-tech advertising displays.

A true E-reader is front lighted from LEDs that shine on the front of the screen to allow for an easier (on the eyes) reading like a book. A Tablet uses a backlight and for many is hard to read over long periods of time.

Kindle offers (or at least offered) what they call a Color E-reader; however, it is just an inexpensive backlit tablet.

If you ever decide on black/white model; I highly suggest Kobo readers. I had Nook for many years, but decided to jump to Kobo this year (Kobo Libra H20 model) and love it. (And yes, I ca read my Nook books I purchased over the years on my Kobo; takes some software to perform the operation, but it can be done.)

Old 10-05-2020, 07:58 AM

110 posts, read 115,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
E-ink does make a color E-ink module; however, I have not found any actual E-reader that uses it, at this time. I believe the module is being used for high-tech advertising displays.

A true E-reader is front lighted from LEDs that shine on the front of the screen to allow for an easier (on the eyes) reading like a book. A Tablet uses a backlight and for many is hard to read over long periods of time.

Kindle offers (or at least offered) what they call a Color E-reader; however, it is just an inexpensive backlit tablet.

If you ever decide on black/white model; I highly suggest Kobo readers. I had Nook for many years, but decided to jump to Kobo this year (Kobo Libra H20 model) and love it. (And yes, I ca read my Nook books I purchased over the years on my Kobo; takes some software to perform the operation, but it can be done.)
I have Amazon Prime. Are you able to download the free e-books from amazon without a kindle? I was reading reviews on Kobo and it sounds great. Are you able to download amazon prime free e-books with Kobo?

Old 10-05-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
I have Amazon Prime. Are you able to download the free e-books from amazon without a kindle? I was reading reviews on Kobo and it sounds great. Are you able to download amazon prime free e-books with Kobo?
You can download and read any free (or paid) eBooks on any device that is either a Kindle or has a Kindle App. For example, I do this on a Samsung tablet as well as my iPhone and iPad, and a Kindle Oasis. From Amazon's perspective all are equal.

As to Kobo, I don't think so. Amazon's Kindle DRM (digital rights management) would likely prevent it being read outside of the Kindle ecosystem.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:22 PM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times
Calibre used to strip off the Amazon DRM; however, have not done this in a few months and companies can change their DRM to prevent this from happening. But these software companies will eventually work around it and get it working again.
A year ago, it would do the same with the Barnes and Noble's Drm; however, they changed in and and now it takes a different software to strip the DRM (and unlock Calibre which is free, this sofware is not free).

Once a DRM is stripped, Calibre can be used to load on to Kobo.

As for the reader. The size (for me is perfect...7" screen) similar to Amazon's Oasis but about 80 bucks less expensive. I did look at the new Nook 7.8" reader; nice but just too darn large and wanted to get more general with epubs.

I did convert almost 150 Nook books to straight Epubs and loaded them onto my computer, just in case I ever want to read them again. Now I do have the option to purchase Google or Kobo books (however, google books need to be processed through Calibre. While Kobo is just like B&N and Amazon, it retains your book on their site so you can load and read, archive it and bring it back to the reader at any time.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 3,418,578 times
I would get the Amazon HD 8. Battery life is pretty good, it's quick and it has a nice screen AND the price is right. I have seen lately (and bought) the HD 10" 2019 model for $109.

You can easily make it an Android Tablet if you don't like the Amazon stuff or selectively remove what you don't like.

You mentioned color, these are non E-ink however. I have used the Kindle paper white and it is great for reading print books but color usually requires back lighting. Color E-ink is still expensive and not offered by Amazon as far as I know.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I would get the Amazon HD 8. Battery life is pretty good, it's quick and it has a nice screen AND the price is right. I have seen lately (and bought) the HD 10" 2019 model for $109.

You can easily make it an Android Tablet if you don't like the Amazon stuff or selectively remove what you don't like.

You mentioned color, these are non E-ink however. I have used the Kindle paper white and it is great for reading print books but color usually requires back lighting. Color E-ink is still expensive and not offered by Amazon as far as I know.
I'd wait another week to buy any Amazon device - Prime Day is almost here and there are bound to be some deals.

https://www.techradar.com/amazon-pri...prime-day-2020

Old 10-06-2020, 04:15 PM

5,312 posts, read 3,064,569 times
Never tried a Nook, but I have a Kindle Paper White and love it. It's B&W, but there are very few things that need color (rarely a picture or drawing), so it doesn't matter. You can also read it in bright sunshine. And it's cheap. Whatever you get, don't scrimp on a case - get a quality one. I bought the $40 Amazon "made for Paper White" leather cover and it still looks just like it did the day I bought it two years ago.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:06 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,091,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post

One thing to be aware of. If you get any android or IOS based reader or smart device you can download a reader app for Nook or Kindle. HOWEVER as far as I know there is no EPUB (Nook) reader app for a Kindle. Amazon tightly controls their universe. I read Kindle ebooks, Epub (Nook and opensource) and PDF files on my IPhone, IPad, and 7" Nook Android tablet. I have an older Nook Simpletouch that does not have a Kindle App but is my reader of choice when outside because the Paperwhite display (no backlit) is better in direct sunlight. It is the closest to reading a printed page that I have seen.

I prefer Epub books over Kindle but if the Kindle edition is significantly cheaper I will buy it. That is mainly a decision based on preferring to keep a competitive market even if Amazon is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics