U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:29 AM

13,638 posts, read 6,775,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
No. I try to get my husband interested in Amazon music but he prefers Pandora.
Sorry - what I meant was is it a single-purpose device (always connected to the stereo) or do you use it for reading, browsing, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 10:39 AM

5,715 posts, read 7,111,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Sorry - what I meant was is it a single-purpose device (always connected to the stereo) or do you use it for reading, browsing, etc.
It is and will be a dedicated device used for one purpose only - to run the home stereo system.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:51 PM

13,638 posts, read 6,775,150 times
Quote:
It is and will be a dedicated device used for one purpose only - to run the home stereo system.
Ok. So a new phone or tablet will help, but note that newer iPhones no longer have a headphone jack. The lowest iPad still does.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:12 PM

17,473 posts, read 31,219,316 times
Quote:
I have a house with built in speakers in several rooms. Pretty simple. I've been using old cell phones for audio, mostly just Pandora and NPR. My husband is addicted to Pandora. He won't let me get rid of it even though it's not the best music out there. I also use it in my Buick.

The problem with the phones is sometimes they get slow for no reason and have to be restarted. With the current phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) we have the strange problem of the volume going down and we have to turn it back up.

I'm considering something like a tablet or iPad to run this. I thought about Amazon Echo with display but there is no headphone jack to connect it to the home audio system. I'd rather pay for a good device, even a few hundred dollars, instead of a device I have to frequently restart.

(Also, I'm about to upgrade our home internet router & WIFI and I'm not sure the old cell phones I have will support newer WIFI encryption standards.) I'll know this weekend.
As I understand it: you have speakers throughout your house, and these speakers are connected to a home stereo system (receiver). As such, you connect a cellphone to the receiver, and play your music?

Several receivers these days, Yamaha for example, are connected to your house's network via Wi-Fi, and include Airplay, Bluetooth, and their own brand app that is similar to Airplay. If the receiver has Airplay, you can play your music via Wi-fi. The same for Yamaha's MusicCast.

I don't know if you can use Airplay with other than Apple devices, and I don't know enough about Yamaha's MusicCast, although the latter is quite a powerful app:

AirPlay
https://makezine.com/2016/11/18/teac...ets-in-flight/

In addition to that, several receivers can play different music to two different rooms in the house (one room would be zone 1, and the second room zone 2). But to play different music to the second zone, you would need a second set of speakers that are wireless (not wired to the receiver).

MusicCast:
https://www.avforums.com/articles/wh...sic-cast.11824

Old 11-13-2020, 05:03 PM

17,473 posts, read 31,219,316 times
I will add the following in reference to zones 1 and 2 in the Yamaha receiver I have: in the back of the receiver there are speaker connections for a second zone, in addition to zone one. It means that a second set of speakers can be wired, or wireless as well.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:20 PM

5,715 posts, read 7,111,766 times
Nice ideas thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics