Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 12:01 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,519,851 times

Advertisements

When I watch my cable TV with HD, and there is an explosion or a lot of bright lights, I can see the image breaking into large pixels. I saw some articles saying it's because the signal isn't strong enough. It's the typical HD cable box and I was watching TNT HD.

I think it is more visible with explosions because large areas are the same color so you'll notice the blocking more. It doesn't happen when watching other things like Jeopardy or the news.

Would you expect this to happen when you watch cable TV? I think it doesn't happen when watching a Bluray or DVD. I haven't tried it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
We had that problem with several local stations (Comcast box) about a year ago. I replaced the 8 year old cheap HDMI cable between the box and the TV with a higher quality one, and that solved it until a few weeks ago, when the problem returned. This time I noticed that the coax coming in from outside had a splitter on it before going into the cable box, but the other "out" connector had nothing on it. I took the splitter off and connected directly from the wall to the box, and problem solved.

Not to say that this is your problem, but things to check.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Sounds to me like compression on the video stream.

Things that are moving fast with a lot of action and color take up more bandwidth, so they are more visibly compressed to fit the available "pipe" for the channel.

It should not be a HDMI or other issue, as this seems like a source problem rather than at the TV. However, I'm aware of one type of compression artifact that is due to transmission errors (looks like ghost images) which could be due to something in-between.

https://www.howtogeek.com/428815/why...cture-quality/

"The problem is the extra bandwidth is only used to host more channels. While OTA TV places just one channel on each 6 MHz band, cable companies use aggressive compression algorithms (like MPEG-4) to shove around 20 channels on each 6 MHz band. As you’d expect, this aggressive compression leads to a dramatic loss in quality. It’s kind of like shoving 20 movies on a single DVD."

The fact that it doesn't seem to happen during slow moving/little changing shows tells me it's likely the provider.

You might find this interesting as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact

Old 11-09-2020, 03:57 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Sounds to me like compression on the video stream.

Things that are moving fast with a lot of action and color take up more bandwidth, so they are more visibly compressed to fit the available "pipe" for the channel.

It should not be a HDMI or other issue, as this seems like a source problem rather than at the TV. However, I'm aware of one type of compression artifact that is due to transmission errors (looks like ghost images) which could be due to something in-between.

https://www.howtogeek.com/428815/why...cture-quality/

"The problem is the extra bandwidth is only used to host more channels. While OTA TV places just one channel on each 6 MHz band, cable companies use aggressive compression algorithms (like MPEG-4) to shove around 20 channels on each 6 MHz band. As you’d expect, this aggressive compression leads to a dramatic loss in quality. It’s kind of like shoving 20 movies on a single DVD."

The fact that it doesn't seem to happen during slow moving/little changing shows tells me it's likely the provider.

You might find this interesting as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact
^^^ Bingo!

Digital HD can require a lot of data being pushed during certain scenes. The problem with providers trying to minimize bandwidth usage to add the "Portuguese puppy shopping channel" or some other questionable revenue stream is not new. Back at least twenty years ago I had a discussion with a CSR at the old DirectTV, because Turner Classic Movies, which are for the most part black and white and take up little bandwidth, were blocking and becoming unwatchable. DTV had reduced the allotted bandwidth over the satellite feed, in favor of better resolution for football games and the like. There was a minor improvement after that, but TCM lovers were still getting shortchanged.

Old 11-12-2020, 09:32 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
This might be an advantage of watching IPTV via Hulu Live TV - every feed is individual so it doesn't have to size the video to fit the feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics