Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 07:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Don't be offended I don't agree, like it's not normal. LOL

TP_LINK is and always has been the "value brand". Nothing wrong with the "value" brand but I prefer to support the more well known and IMO better ... major brands I guess we can call it? Same reason I don't buy or recommend Acer.

I don't care about reviews or that "they are both made in China". Acer has good reviews too. Netgear is absolutely a more reputable company. And when it comes to the important gear, I prefer the better brands.

You can tell a lot IMO about a company by the "About Us Page" of their website.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/about-us/corporate-profile/

https://www.netgear.com/about/

I'll support the brand that has a significantly better online presence.
And it's not that I've never bought TP... I have. Had a wifi USB adapter from them. It was trash. So it's not just branding or support that I like.
I use TP-Link switches all the time without fail. Most of this low end 5- and 8-port hardware is extremely commoditized anyway.

However, a router is a bit different than a switch given the potential to either slow down your traffic or let someone through that you shouldn’t. I’d probably pay a few dollars more for a better brand. But I’m an outlier anyway, running Untangle as my router on an i5-4590 system with around 80 IP devices in my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 08:47 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'll take 30k reviews over ONE person on an internet forum. Sorry, but that's just me. Fact is they both work just as well.
I would hope I have earned a little respect on this forum by now. I would hope my word would hold a little more weight around these parts.

Quote:
I use TP-Link switches all the time without fail. Most of this low end 5- and 8-port hardware is extremely commoditized anyway.

However, a router is a bit different than a switch given the potential to either slow down your traffic or let someone through that you shouldn’t. I’d probably pay a few dollars more for a better brand. But I’m an outlier anyway, running Untangle as my router on an i5-4590 system with around 80 IP devices in my house.
Agree on this. I would be much less choosy on a wired device. Wifi is so important these days and I've had a lot of issues both personally and professionally by going with "value brands". Firmly believe it's worth an extra $20 to get a, even marginally better, 'name brand'.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
I would hope I have earned a little respect on this forum by now. I would hope my word would hold a little more weight around these parts.
The guy asking for a router doesn't frequent this forum so I assume has no idea who you are. Your word in this case is as good as anybody else's word.

These are general suggestions. I post my opinions and of course you are free to post your own. I don't believe it has to turn into an argument or that you have to take it personal.

You not liking TP-Link as a brand is based on your experience. I would compare that to the one person giving a 1 star review when the majority are giving 5 star reviews. Maybe he got a defective product or had other connectivity issues and blamed it on the router. He had a bad experience but it's one person, doesn't mean everybody else did. Consensus matters.

But if the OP is still around, buy the best you can afford. Since I had the Netgear, I've had zero problems and have had it 3 years.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:30 AM

Not really arguing bro. Y'know I love ya'. More like discussing.

Oh and yes, I absolutely put stock into a companies webpage. You've been around since 1996 TP LINK and that's your about page? You couldn't find any time to add a little more detail to your webpage? I certainly don't demand an entire ABOUT US section like Netgear has, but maybe I would like to know a little more about you. If that is as much effort as you can put into ABOUT US, how much effort do you put into anything else???

It's the little things.

Last edited by Peregrine; 12-05-2020 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 06:25 PM

182 posts, read 204,459 times
I'm finding that some routers (like Netgear) uses a smartphone + app for setup. Is that the only way, or is it possible to access the settings from a web browser?

Old 12-14-2020, 05:45 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
I have a netgear (AC1700?) and can access the settings from my browser.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:31 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
I'm finding that some routers (like Netgear) uses a smartphone + app for setup. Is that the only way, or is it possible to access the settings from a web browser?
Should be able to do both from Netgear. I can control the major stuff with the Orbi app. Web interface lets you get into the nuts and bolts.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:49 AM

Yes, they still make an interface for the browser. They all do.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Yes, they still make an interface for the browser. They all do.
Of course they do.

I would prefer that to any app. Some people don't have PCs I guess.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:43 AM

I prefer it, as well, but the app is great for initial setup. Couple of clicks and it's working. Then I login to the browser and tweak. It's great for remote control, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics