U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 06:59 PM

185 posts, read 366,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No Netgear will just randomly drop connections.
Yes, a Netgear device could have intermittent connection issues. I have two different Nighthawk models. One is a defective Nighhawk modem router that will almost daily and intermittently drop WIFI. The defective one is a newer more expensive model. Just so happens there's many negative reviews with the same issue, on that model. I have another Nighthawk modem router that does not drop WIFI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 11:00 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Further View Post
Yes, a Netgear device could have intermittent connection issues. I have two different Nighthawk models. One is a defective Nighhawk modem router that will almost daily and intermittently drop WIFI.
I mean?!?!
That's OBVIOUSLY not normal behavior.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:23 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,772,476 times
Quote:
Yes, a Netgear device could have intermittent connection issues. I have two different Nighthawk models. One is a defective Nighhawk modem router that will almost daily and intermittently drop WIFI. The defective one is a newer more expensive model. Just so happens there's many negative reviews with the same issue, on that model. I have another Nighthawk modem router that does not drop WIFI.
I mean to play devils advocate here...I have a Netgear Orbi mesh system, works like a charm. The old one went for years before getting weird with the connection to the satellite, I decided to upgrade to an AX system. I have multiple Netgear switches running around the house...all have been going flawlessly for years, I just put a new one on my desk to replace the busted Trendnet one. I have Netgear switches in the A/V cabinets at work that connect the cameras, mics, etc - all working like a charm for years.

One bad experience does not equal bad product. I'll stick with Netgear for the time being.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:05 PM

Yeah I get it. I totally understand things can fail, or troubleshooting is needed to correct an issue or unique problem. I've wasted hours, days of my time troubleshooting. I had a Comcast technician inspect and test my cables, utility, etc. to eliminate their side or my house cables from causing the issue. This was after 2 times in which Netgear insisted its not a defective device.

My complaint is about Netgear's poor customer support and business practice. They are shady as hell.

My Experience:
I buy an expensive, premium modem/router. It has a 1 year warranty.
6 months of no problems, then it starts acting up with random intermittent wifi loss.
Call Netgear 1st time: Not a device issue, denied warranty replacement
Me: More troubleshooting
Call Netgear 2nd time: Not a device issue, denied warranty replacement
Call Netgear 3rd time: I give them a detailed report of all troubleshooting, ISP technician report of no issues on their end, report of other modem works, clearly OBVIOUSLY the unit is defective. Negear says sorry not a hardware issue with device, sorry warranty request declined.

Every time I call, Negear wants my CC info to pay for phone support. They even told me that once I pay for phone support contract, my device "could be" replaced under warranty.

Calling Negear is crazy, it feels like your talking to a phone scammer or con artist. I don't have unrealistic or high expectations. But I do expect a company of this stature to stand behind the product, and honor the warranty statement.

It's also concerning when you research for additional troubleshooting steps, read reviews, and see others having the exact same experience and response.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:26 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Again I am not defending them. THat sucks, no doubt. But all these companies have trash customer support. The only... Asian based company I've had even remotely good support from was Asus and that was a LONG time ago.

Trying to get you to pay for the extra support, though. Ewww. Next level sketchiness.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 65 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
The Netgear router that I currently have (I bought it in 2012) is going out and I need a new one. I was thinking I would get a $30-$40 one from Walmart, but I'm not sure what would be best.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I think the best option is to understand your need at home so you get the best router that will last and work well for you. I found this site useful as they have interactive automated guide to narrow them best for your need so you dont have to waste your money.

[url]https://slankit.com/smartguide/wi-fi-networking-buying-guide[/url]

Good luck

Old 02-05-2021, 10:35 PM

17,470 posts, read 31,191,171 times
Quote:
Again I am not defending them. THat sucks, no doubt. But all these companies have trash customer support. The only... Asian based company I've had even remotely good support from was Asus and that was a LONG time ago.

Trying to get you to pay for the extra support, though. Ewww. Next level sketchiness.
I read several good reviews about Asus routers. I am using a NetGear Nighthawk that I purchased at CostCo, then it started crapping out recently and could not get it to upgrade the firmware. Finally it's fine now, but when I was having problems with it I was going to buy an Asus route from Amazon. I have never had any problems with LinkSys routers, however.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:42 PM

17,470 posts, read 31,191,171 times
Quote:
Yeah I get it. I totally understand things can fail, or troubleshooting is needed to correct an issue or unique problem. I've wasted hours, days of my time troubleshooting. I had a Comcast technician inspect and test my cables, utility, etc. to eliminate their side or my house cables from causing the issue. This was after 2 times in which Netgear insisted its not a defective device.

My complaint is about Netgear's poor customer support and business practice. They are shady as hell.

My Experience:
I buy an expensive, premium modem/router. It has a 1 year warranty.
6 months of no problems, then it starts acting up with random intermittent wifi loss.
Call Netgear 1st time: Not a device issue, denied warranty replacement
Call Netgear 2nd time: Not a device issue, denied warranty replacement
Call Netgear 3rd time: I give them a detailed report of all troubleshooting, ISP technician report of no issues on their end, report of other modem works, clearly OBVIOUSLY the unit is defective. Negear says sorry not a hardware issue with device, sorry warranty request declined.

Every time I call, Negear wants my CC info to pay for phone support. They even told me that once I pay for phone support contract, my device "could be" replaced under warranty.

Calling Negear is crazy, it feels like your talking to a phone scammer or con artist. I don't have unrealistic or high expectations. But I do expect a company of this stature to stand behind the product, and honor the warranty statement.

It's also concerning when you research for additional troubleshooting steps, read reviews, and see others having the exact same experience and response.
More than likely you have to upgrade the touter's firmware. If you read the comments about NetGear routers at the NetGear forum, not too many customers get an answer to the problems with your router, but sometimes they do. Just skip customer support, access your router settings, and upgrade the firmware. You can download the latest firmware to you computer, and then upgrade it manually. But always make a copy of the network settings.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

95 posts, read 56,369 times
Quote:
No Netgear will just randomly drop connections.
Which Netgear? They are not all the same. What dropped the connection, the router, or your device? Did you do any speedtests? How long did you have it?
NETGEAR AC750. I thought it might have been my device since my old (netgear) router did the same thing, but my connection has been working now, so I will assume it was the routers. I had it for about 2 weeks.
I now have an ASUS AC1200 and it has been working without issue, so far and it's at about 114 Mbps. The one I returned was at, like, 60 Mbps and the old one didn't get above 30. (This was the download speed at https://www.speedtest.net/)

Last edited by Hawaii900; Yesterday at 11:02 AM..

Old Today, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
More than likely you have to upgrade the touter's firmware. If you read the comments about NetGear routers at the NetGear forum, not too many customers get an answer to the problems with your router, but sometimes they do. Just skip customer support, access your router settings, and upgrade the firmware. You can download the latest firmware to you computer, and then upgrade it manually. But always make a copy of the network settings.
That was one of the first things I did. For this Netgear model, you cannot DL the firmware update. It is pushed through the ISP only. My firmware is on the current version. Verified with ISP and Netgear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics