Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 06:59 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, anyone here use smart light bulbs? I was reluctant to buy some, until I saw a great deal on some Feit Electric smart bulbs from Costco that I will decide to give them a try (plus I bought one smart flood light from the same brand on Amazon after buying these bulbs from Costco). I historically bought a bunch of colored light bulbs for different holidays, and I can continue to use my bulbs for parties (and all the pink ones for my nightstand lamp). These could potentially save me from climbing up to change the overhead can light for different holidays. I will put these up after all the winter and spring holidays are over.

I wonder, has anyone here ever used these? I seem to be investing more in smart technology. We have an Amazon Echo, and we want to take full advantage of it. Some other smart devices we have include an Amazon Smart Plug, an iRobot Roomba 960, and a U by Moen Smart Faucet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 08:03 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I have a bunch in my house. As I’m on Zoom all the time and want proper lighting I use 2 bulbs in fixtures on either side of my monitor that I control with Alexa - before my Zoom call starts I say “Alexa, turn on office lights” and I’m set. I can also adjust the level, color temperature, etc.

I also changed my recessed porch lighting where I removed 2 cans and put in ceiling fans with remotes. This means they need to be switched on all the time so for the final light I put in a smart bulb.

I still use more of the Kasa smart switches though because I can use “dumb” nicer looking warm LED Edison bulbs in various table lamps and control them with Alexa as well.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:12 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
NO need; just me and I turn off lights when not in use. And there will never be an Alexa or other type of voice activated control device in my house as long as I live here.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I find the smart lights to be most useful for outdoor lighting and a few inside while away on vacation. Leaving outdoor lights on all day is a giveaway to would-be thieves. I also use smart plugs for managing the pond waterfall pump, and the light on the aquarium. Controlling things from the i-phone provides a lot of flexibility.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:55 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
I have 24 Philips Hue lights, 6 Google Devices, a Nest thermostat, a Roomba, a smart garage door, several smart plugs and getting ready to add a Hello doorbell.

If I was starting today I would not do Phillips Hue lights. They are the most expensive. They are supposedly the best but there are several cheaper alternatives today nearly as good.

No more crawling under the Christmas tree to unplug it "Hey Google, turn off the tree!" or "Hey Google, turn off the outside lights". It's very cool to run a routine when I am on vaca that turns various lights on or off at different times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
NO need; just me and I turn off lights when not in use. And there will never be an Alexa or other type of voice activated control device in my house as long as I live here.
Great. Why are you replying then? OP didn't ask what people's opinions of them are...
Never fails some grandma or grandpa always has to chime in "Get off my lawn!"
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone here use smart light bulbs?-img_20201016_210357.jpg  

Old 12-07-2020, 12:42 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have 24 Philips Hue lights, 6 Google Devices, a Nest thermostat, a Roomba, a smart garage door, several smart plugs and getting ready to add a Hello doorbell.

If I was starting today I would not do Phillips Hue lights. They are the most expensive. They are supposedly the best but there are several cheaper alternatives today nearly as good.

No more crawling under the Christmas tree to unplug it "Hey Google, turn off the tree!" or "Hey Google, turn off the outside lights". It's very cool to run a routine when I am on vaca that turns various lights on or off at different times.

Great. Why are you replying then? OP didn't ask what people's opinions of them are...
Never fails some grandma or grandpa always has to chime in "Get off my lawn!"
BECAUSE THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM AND I WILL REPLY IF I FEEL LIKE IT. And I am neither a grandma or grandpa; my kids were killed many years ago by a drunk driver while I was working for Uncle Sam in a faraway country; thinking I might be making people like you safe; thus, no grandkids.

Now if you are implying I am old and don't have any use for modern things. WRONG AGAIN on one item. I am old, however, I love modern items; just no need to be a lazy bum who sits all day and yells at a device to do what they can do by getting off their arse and do it. (For those with a disability, I can understand these devices and they are a great invention. But to be so lazy as to not want do unplug Christmas lights then just don't use them. Do you use Google to wipe too?)

However, did you read the OP's post? Let me remind you....
"I was wondering, anyone here use smart light bulbs? "

Question asked...I answered with a "NO NEED...." with further explanation why. Problem with that? Remind me why I should care if you have a problem or not.

So take you implications and move on. I sure as heck will not answer you again even if at one time, I felt you appeared to be a decent person. I was wrong again, like I was wrong in thinking my working for Uncle Sam was a great idea to keep people in this country safe.

Everyday I enforce my beliefs that: 1. Most people in this country are NOT worth caring about. 2. More people I talk with, the more I appreciate my Malamutes.

Last edited by f5fstop; 12-07-2020 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Even Philips realizes this - they’ve come out with cheaper non-Hue bulbs.

I think it’s just a reflection of more miniaturization in the market where WiFi could get added to the bulb package. Think about 1st gen LED vs today even in dumb bulbs.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:02 PM

Yea, but Phillips has historically been a bit like Apple: We charge the most because, we are the best. You want the "Cadillac of Smart Bulbs", you need to pay for it.

In the beginning they only had one REAL competitor: LIFX...then GE... now everyone is jumping in. So now they've been forced to come out with bluetooth and other cheaper options. Thank god for competition. Too late for me though.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Yea, but Phillips has historically been a bit like Apple: We charge the most because, we are the best. You want the "Cadillac of Smart Bulbs", you need to pay for it.

In the beginning they only had one REAL competitor: LIFX...then GE... now everyone is jumping in. So now they've been forced to come out with bluetooth and other cheaper options. Thank god for competition. Too late for me though.
If I replaced all my house’s bulbs with smart bulbs I’d be forced to go IPv6. I wish there were cheaper, better, not incredibly bulky smart dimmer switches.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:18 PM

Dude... you have that many bulbs /ips??

Last edited by Peregrine; 12-09-2020 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics