Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 02:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Dude... you have that many bulbs /ips??
I have many recessed lights in my big home, yes. When I was replacing them (because oddly the previous owner used incandescents EVERYWHERE) I needed to probably get close to 100 bulbs throughout the house, outside the house, etc. Then add in table lamps, under counter lamps, etc. etc. Obviously not everything would get a smart bulb but they add up!

I have around 80 active IP addresses now according to my router. These IoT devices breed like rabbits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 04:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
I have Philips Hue bulbs and have several smart plugs that have converted regular lights to smart lights. They also work with the Hue app. I like the setup. I use one to help me wake up- it can come on slowly, and set others to come on when I get home and it is dark, one to come on in the office shortly before I start work.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:26 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
As an upside, I will soon have the convenience of not having to change bulbs for every major holiday (I try to minimize the amount of times I have to change the overhead can light), plus I can set them just for one day for minor holidays. I can even set them to all pink for my birthday next year.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:18 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I have many recessed lights in my big home, yes. When I was replacing them (because oddly the previous owner used incandescents EVERYWHERE) I needed to probably get close to 100 bulbs throughout the house, outside the house, etc. Then add in table lamps, under counter lamps, etc. etc. Obviously not everything would get a smart bulb but they add up!

I have around 80 active IP addresses now according to my router. These IoT devices breed like rabbits...
WOW!

At my previous house (Moved Aug 2019) I had 2 lights in the living room. 4 lights in the cans in the bedroom. That was it.
New house has 7 BULBS IN JUST THE LIVING ROOM FIXTURE ALONE (I only put 6 in)! Then there are 3 in the high ceiling you can see in the photo over the fireplace. Then there's the 'lone wolf' light you can see on the left. = 11 lights in just that room... (There are also 5 more recessed lights along the right edge you can't see here NOT getting replaced lol total 16 LIGHTS?!?! Insane) Yea, I bought some 1st gen ones of Ebay and then asked for lights for every major gift holiday.... lol... and still am...

Old 12-10-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As an upside, I will soon have the convenience of not having to change bulbs for every major holiday (I try to minimize the amount of times I have to change the overhead can light), plus I can set them just for one day for minor holidays. I can even set them to all pink for my birthday next year.
Do you have the hub and all that? Not sure if it works without the hub but sometimes we like to do the ol' color loop "Hey Google...Color Loop the lights". And they slowly cycle through all colors.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:45 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I don't have/want Alexa, or other type of voice activated control device in my house, but I do have a whole house smart light bulbs system. (indoor and outdoor)
I saw Feit bulbs at Costco, but after a brief research decided against - the brand has horrible reviews.
Like in most cases, you get what you pay for.
If budget is an issue, I rather would go with Wyze system than Feit. You can also check IKEA'S Trådfri smart system (that is compatible with the Philips Hue and replace some less important light bulbs with theirs for a fraction of the price ).
https://www.the-ambient.com/reviews/...ng-review-1399
If cost is not a problem and you want smart lighting to use more as décor than as proper lighting, then LIFX is the better pick.

I use Phillips ecosystem with Hue hub and I am happy with it.
Hue's bulbs can be paired with a wide selection of other Hue lighting devices, all of which communicate wirelessly with one another to prevent range issues. Wide variety of shapes and sizes can cover a whole house needs. Filament bulbs look awesome!
To complete your system, add the strips, Hue lamps, motion sensors and switches.
I recommend a white and color ambiance.
Useful and fun stuff worth every penny.

Last edited by elnina; 12-17-2020 at 08:35 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 08:49 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Well, so far "I think" that I am smarter than a lightbulb, but then...I could be wrong.

~just kidding, folks! I am just bringing some humor to this thread.

That said, I don't use smart lightbulbs of any kind. Just LED with motion sensors outdoors. Now, my son bought a few solar-charged & powered lights that have motion sensors. These are quite handy at the campsite during moose season Alaska (in September). The fully charge during the day, and illuminate the campsite at night.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:39 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, so far "I think" that I am smarter than a lightbulb, but then...I could be wrong.

~just kidding, folks! I am just bringing some humor to this thread.
With smart lighting, traditional light bulbs are replaced with smart light bulbs, which screw into the existing sockets in your home. An internet-connected hub connects all of the bulbs, providing control over the lighting in your home from a centralized location.
Smart lighting is a part of home automation. It has many functions, but to me most important is the ability to remotely adjust the lighting in my home from anywhere. I travel and spend 6-8 months of a year overseas, and use the automation for security reasons.

Other people enjoy the dimming and color changes features, schedule of use, motion activated power savings, control over the lighting in their home (indoor and outdoor) from a centralized location, the light color can emits soothing light that doesn't interrupt their natural circadian rhythm, get weather warnings through a change of light colors, use lights as a timer, automatically turn the lights off when they leave the house, some with speakers can play music, connect to other smart devices like Ring, and get notified by blinking light when the doorbell rings (great for those with impaired hearing) and social media maniacs can even get social media notifications via their lights

Old 12-18-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
and social media maniacs can even get social media notifications via their lights
And sports fanatics can blink the lights a certain color every time their team scores. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:33 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
With smart lighting, traditional light bulbs are replaced with smart light bulbs, which screw into the existing sockets in your home.
The downside is when someone turns off the switch. All the smartness goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics