Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:10 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for 2 - one for a gift and one for me. My old Sharper Image CD player died.

I don't care about fancy bells and whistles -- just decent sound, AM/FM radio (what's the deal with some products that have ONLY FM radio??) and CD player. No need for cassette player.

There's an Insignia cheapie from Best Buy (under $40 I think), and a few Sony Boombox versions on Amazon.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 06:44 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I have an ancient Sony boombox with an RCA "line in" connection that I use with a Roland keyboard since one of the channels on its original amp crapped out. Sound is decent for something in that price range. The bass is there (using bass boost), but with less power. Those boomboxes simply can't put enough power into inexpensive speakers without clipping and distortion, but the Sony engineers did the best they could. A lot of radio uses compression and other degradations, so I don't worry about super hi-fi. Radio is going digital, and a boombox is unlikely to have the circuits to decode that, but should still be useful for a few years.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:17 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I was like "No one sells cassette players any more....then I looked... wow. I'm wrong!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I don't care about fancy bells and whistles -- just decent sound, AM/FM radio (what's the deal with some products that have ONLY FM radio??) and CD player. No need for cassette player.
It's cheaper to not include the AM antenna.

Quote:
There's an Insignia cheapie from Best Buy (under $40 I think), and a few Sony Boombox versions on Amazon.
You get what you pay for.

Quote:
Thoughts? Thanks!
Pay a little more for the Sony.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
There are several Sonys on Amazon, these two look good.

CFD-S70 B, $56, CD, AM/FM etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Stereo-C...dp/B01DUF3UVC/

MAIN-87930, $84, Cd, AM/FM, this one comes with bluetooth and a USB port for flash drives, playback and record.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Portable...dp/B00V3U5D6W/

I would get the more expensive one.

Just keep in mind, these types of devices do not provide earth shattering or heavy bass. They sound good enough though. I have no idea how the Sharper Image unit sounded. It's all subjective anyway.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:39 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Agree with GG... don't buy the 'cheapie'. Not if you care at all about quality. You live once. Get good stuff. Or gooder at least.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:59 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
When the weight of the unit is ONE pound, and the output is only 2 watts RMS, I don't think I would elevate that unit to "quality." It might be time to hit a thrift store or pawn shop for an older generation of ghetto blaster.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
When the weight of the unit is ONE pound, and the output is only 2 watts RMS, I don't think I would elevate that unit to "quality." It might be time to hit a thrift store or pawn shop for an older generation of ghetto blaster.
These days, they make ghetto blasters that will knock your socks off.

The issue is the CD Player.

If you could get one of those small portable discman type players and hook it up to BT "Boom" Box, then you could play CDs and get great sound.

Not up to me obviously. I play music from my phone to a variety of devices. I haven't touched a CD in years, literally.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:37 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
If it helps any, be aware most stand alone dvd players can play cds. The problem you have is getting the Ghetto Blaster that one way or other handles cds. If you find such, guessing either radio or player isnt going to be great quality. You might want to look for a good radio (especially if long range AM is important to you) and separately a good portable cd/dvd player. Or move along with the times and rip your cds to mp3 files. Lot easier to find something that can play mp3.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:24 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
My advice is don't go cheap, as I think you will regret it later.

I have a Bose Wave, about 10 years old, with a single CD player and AM/FM. The sound is still excellent and remarkable for the size. They are not cheap, but I see that they're on sale at $275, which is less than I paid a decade ago.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:27 AM

Well then OP, I think the question is do you want/need portable or not?

If not, there are many good options to play CD's

If yes, the choices are limited and the sound will not be that great if you want everything in one unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics