U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times

Advertisements

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...mazon-sidewalk

More intrusion from Bezos and company.

Some may like it, some may hate it; I guess it means nothing to me since none of those Bezos devices are allowed in this house!

But I found it interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 12:44 PM

33,517 posts, read 14,080,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...mazon-sidewalk

More intrusion from Bezos and company.

Some may like it, some may hate it; I guess it means nothing to me since none of those Bezos devices are allowed in this house!

But I found it interesting.
So how is it an intrusion?

Old 12-07-2020, 01:31 PM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So how is it an intrusion?
Didn't read or understand the article; toward the end?

"There are, of course, security and privacy concerns, too. If your dog has a Sidewalk-connected tag on its collar, it means that you may be sending Amazon the location, duration, and frequency of your every dog walks. Amazon does have a white paper that explains some of its Sidewalk-related security policies.

Of course, there's also the question of it being a shared network. Although Amazon says it will encrypt all traffic sent through a Sidewalk network, users won't know who is on a specific network or how much traffic their neighbor might be sending over it."
Maybe not an intrusion to you, but it would be for me. However, read the following....

"Once Amazon actually enables Sidewalk, users will see an information splash screen that explains what it is and what it does. There, they'll have the option to disable it — it'll be turned on by default." Should not be ON by default! Needs to be OFF by default and let people turn it ON if they want. Too many people will not turn it off, then moan and groan when they find out it is ON. Just wait.

But as some have learned, those voice activated toys from Amazon (and other places) are a lot more intrusive then they think...that is until they find out more about it.

But many are happy with it, and great for them. I just find any of this stuff intrusive. You don't fine; that's your right.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:32 AM

126 posts, read 44,182 times
Being able to include a person's dog walking schedule, for example, into a profile database may seem like a very benign and insignificant thing all on its own. Those who do not see where this is headed are failing to see the larger picture.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:15 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,119,575 times
And when that person's dog runs away and you can track him and find him from your phone in 2 minutes.... People who fall to really see the bigger picture and think Amazon wants to track your every move should recognize... Maybe it's REALLY not all that nefarious afterall?

Imagine how boring it would be if someone tracked your movements all day. Would this really help anyone.... what? In what way? Maybe sell you some walking shoes because you walk a lot. Or a big comfy recliner because you don't.

What some see as the inevitable tracking of everyone in America should realize... it's Amazon. It's only to sell you something. lol

Old 12-08-2020, 12:40 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,031,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Imagine how boring it would be if someone tracked your movements all day...
LOL! God, ain't that the truth. Just about everything in this world includes a mix of good and bad. If you can't handle the bad, you gotta give up the good.

Tried to rep you but C-D says it's too soon.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:33 PM

13,607 posts, read 6,726,379 times
I don’t see myself using this, even though I probably have 10 Alexa devices in my house, an Eero mesh network (Amazon), a Ring alarm system (Amazon) and Ring cameras (Amazon).

Plus those who want to avoid Amazon will increasingly find it difficult. AWS is everywhere, and I just watched their machine learning keynote for their multi-week conference.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:54 AM

33,517 posts, read 14,080,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Didn't read or understand the article; toward the end?

"There are, of course, security and privacy concerns, too. If your dog has a Sidewalk-connected tag on its collar, it means that you may be sending Amazon the location, duration, and frequency of your every dog walks. Amazon does have a white paper that explains some of its Sidewalk-related security policies.

Of course, there's also the question of it being a shared network. Although Amazon says it will encrypt all traffic sent through a Sidewalk network, users won't know who is on a specific network or how much traffic their neighbor might be sending over it."
Maybe not an intrusion to you, but it would be for me. However, read the following....

"Once Amazon actually enables Sidewalk, users will see an information splash screen that explains what it is and what it does. There, they'll have the option to disable it — it'll be turned on by default." Should not be ON by default! Needs to be OFF by default and let people turn it ON if they want. Too many people will not turn it off, then moan and groan when they find out it is ON. Just wait.

But as some have learned, those voice activated toys from Amazon (and other places) are a lot more intrusive then they think...that is until they find out more about it.

But many are happy with it, and great for them. I just find any of this stuff intrusive. You don't fine; that's your right.
My point is, if this is public knowledge, and it bothers you, then don't buy it.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:29 PM

9,897 posts, read 4,821,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And when that person's dog runs away and you can track him and find him from your phone in 2 minutes.... People who fall to really see the bigger picture and think Amazon wants to track your every move should recognize... Maybe it's REALLY not all that nefarious afterall?

l
So what if you walk your dog everyday at 6 pm, leave the house, turn right, walk down to the park where you arrive at 6:10, etc.:

And you also contribute to a political cause...

And so someone who violently opposes that cause can easily find out the best place to assassinate you?

How about if you are well known for posting on gun owners' forums - thieves can learn exactly when you're not at home and go after your valuable collection?

And so on.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:41 PM

45,035 posts, read 64,408,876 times
With Amazon you at least have some control over it (not that much if your neighbors are using those gadgets, and your outdoors life is simply incorporated in it). But there is no privacy anymore. City, public places and private establishments have their own CCTV in place. You are already observed on the streets, public transportation, sport and entertainment events, while shopping, banking, eating, drinking, meetings, what you order online etc.
It's XXI century life. It's part of our lives.

There are many websites where you can observe life of others online. U.S. is still No. 1 for unsecured security cameras.
Here is an example:
http://insecam.org/en/bycountry/US/

If you have a smart phone, your apps know where you were last night, and they’re not keeping it secret either.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 12-11-2020 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics