Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 11:27 AM

61 posts, read 66,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I have a flash drive plugged into the USB port on my router. I then use VLC downloaded to my Fire Stick to access and play my videos. Very easy, and works great.
Wow! Didn't know it can be done until now. I might try to do that to see how well it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 08:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I have a flash drive plugged into the USB port on my router. I then use VLC downloaded to my Fire Stick to access and play my videos. Very easy, and works great.

OMG, you just saved me $200 on getting a newer dedicated media player. I just got a new Chromecast with Google Tv device and it's only been installed a couple days, so I haven't done much with it. I've been trying to find a way to play 4k HDR movie files, and so far I've just been using my laptop's Windows 10 DLNA server, and Roku Media Player to play them. Works perfectly, but I don't want to do it that way.

Anyway, I saw your post, downloaded VLC from Google Play to the Chromecast, and sure enough, it can see everything on my network, including the Readyshare drive plugged into my router. So, I put a movie on there, and VLC plays it through the Chromecast perfectly, full 4k HDR!

Yee Haw!

Last edited by MikeBear; 12-17-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-18-2020, 05:28 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
OMG, you just saved me $200 on getting a newer dedicated media player. I just got a new Chromecast with Google Tv device and it's only been installed a couple days, so I haven't done much with it. I've been trying to find a way to play 4k HDR movie files, and so far I've just been using my laptop's Windows 10 DLNA server, and Roku Media Player to play them. Works perfectly, but I don't want to do it that way.

Anyway, I saw your post, downloaded VLC from Google Play to the Chromecast, and sure enough, it can see everything on my network, including the Readyshare drive plugged into my router. So, I put a movie on there, and VLC plays it through the Chromecast perfectly, full 4k HDR!

Yee Haw!
WooHoo! Yeah, I was about ready to buy a media player too, even though I really didn't want one, until I discovered this.

Glad to help out!

Old 04-09-2021, 03:23 AM

104 posts, read 63,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I had a Western Digital. That brought back some memories.

I prefer Android over any closed system like Roku.

For offline content and if you can afford it, an Nvidia Shield.

Non-Pro version is is smaller but only has Micro USB. You can get an adapter cable to convert to full size USB. It should support USB hubs? It also has ethernet.
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Stream...dp/B07YP94PBJ/

Pro model is bigger and offers 2 full size USB ports. It's about $50 more.
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield.../dp/B07YP9FBMM

There are also generic Android boxes. They probably average about $60. I see you posted one. I would spend a bit more, it will be faster and have more ports, not to mention RAM and internal storage.

You can also save your files on a PC or NAS and access over home network. I use Kodi installed on my Fire Stick but any Android device will do. I play from my home server.
I have been using Nvidia Shield for almost a year now. Now I choose a large volume HDD for storing 4k films. In this review, I was interested in Seagate and WD. Which firm is the best?

Old 04-09-2021, 07:01 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klarkostin View Post
I have been using Nvidia Shield for almost a year now. Now I choose a large volume HDD for storing 4k films. In this review, I was interested in Seagate and WD. Which firm is the best?
My preference is WD.

Many years ago it was Seagate.

In my experience, WD has been more reliable.

I've seen some good deals on the larger drives, above 8tb.

What size were you looking for?

Old 04-12-2021, 07:16 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Chevy v Ford
Honda v Toyota
Western Digital v Seagate

If you like one, the other is fine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics