U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 06:46 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,284,234 times

Advertisements

I just bought my 2nd at Target. I have a 32" and this new one is a 40".

I like them. Good picture. But, as someone mentioned up thread..the remote doesn't have any #s, so you have to scroll all over the place with my antenna in use.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 07:09 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,932,486 times
It's one of the best budget tvs that you can get. Picture quality is good for the price and the Roku built-in is very convenient. As others have commented, the remote can be annoying.

For anyone looking for a tv less than $500-600, this is the one I'd recommend. The speakers are standard, not horrible, but getting a good sound bar w/sub would make a world of difference.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:22 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,973,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I just bought my 2nd at Target. I have a 32" and this new one is a 40".

I like them. Good picture. But, as someone mentioned up thread..the remote doesn't have any #s, so you have to scroll all over the place with my antenna in use.

When you are on a LIVE local tv antenna channel, press the LEFT arrow on your remote and see what happens...

Old 12-21-2020, 08:46 PM

490 posts, read 354,591 times
For the money they are good. My wife hates the one TCL that we do have though. I'd probably spend a little more to get something better but we needed a cheap tv at the time. It was college move in and options were limited. Picture is decent enough. She hates the apps.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:18 AM

1,969 posts, read 1,284,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
When you are on a LIVE local tv antenna channel, press the LEFT arrow on your remote and see what happens...
Yes!! I found the guide by accidently hitting that arrow.

I read awhile back that the TCLs were old LGs From 2018, if I remember correctly.

And, I love the built in Roku feature.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:54 PM

9,278 posts, read 5,063,688 times
We had a TCL 55 inch 4K Roku TV....it had a beautiful picture but it died after 3 years. Well, it was inexpensive.
I replaced it with a 50 4K Samsung smart TV with a Roku hook up.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 2,525,337 times
I have a TCL 65" 8-series. I'm glad I got it on special for half off MSRP because it might be the most overrated TV on the market. I sent the first two back because the "dirty screen" issue was so intolerable it was distracting. I finally gave up after the third one also had dirty screen but at least it was slightly not as bad as the previous two. But it's still very visible when items move across a largely white screen. The Roku OS is buggy and crashes at least once every two weeks necessitating I squeeze behind the TV cabinet to un-plug it from the wall to reset it. Also, the Roku remote has no numbers on it so when I'm watching TV I have to scroll through channels manually to get to the channel I want.

There is significant vertical banding that is particularly evident when watching sports played on grass and the field scrolls horizontally across the screen such as in football or soccer or when the camera is following a baserunner or outfielder in baseball. I suspect this is caused by the same defect that causes the "dirty screen" effect. There is also a noticeable darkened horizontal band roughly across the middle of the screen.

Speaking of watching sports, I have two options: turn off motion smoothing and watch the players move in 30hz stop-motion, or turn motion smoothing on and watch the TV struggle to render a fast-moving football pass or a cricket ball rolling across the pitch, sometimes to the point where the ball momentarily disappears.

And finally, the much-touted mini-LED local backlighting is not ready for prime time. When activated, there is very clear ghosting when there is a high contrast between a fast-moving object and the background across which it's moving as the localized backlighting struggles to keep up with the screen image.

I'm trying to get rid of this thing to use the proceeds to buy a smaller but higher-quality TV -- the only reason I got a TV this big is it's the smallest TV TCL makes with the mini-LED local backlighting, which turns out to suck anyway -- but the most I have been offered for it is $500 for like-new condition which is half what I paid for it a few months ago and 1/4th of MSRP. At some point I may just cave and take it before its value as a used item sinks even lower.

Last edited by Bitey; 12-22-2020 at 09:22 PM..

Old 12-24-2020, 08:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 4,985,491 times
This thread makes me wonder why there isn't a sub group for TVs under Science and Technology. I guess Consumer Electronics would be a good place?

Old 12-26-2020, 02:55 PM

19,997 posts, read 9,629,223 times
I did a dumb thing. I was very happy with the TCL 32" for my bedroom. I made the mistake of purchasing the android version lacking roku for the 55" in my living room. For others it may not matter, but lacking cable I had gotten used to 'The Roku Channel' with 200 live channels, sort of like having basic cable.

This 55" is a 4 series, so it's not good at all for 4K, which I didn't and still don't care about, but I will want to upgrade in the future.

I haven't mounted it yet. I might put it in the bedroom! It was $199 on sale. I missed Cyber Monday to swap it for a TCL Roku, perhaps a 5 or 6 series. I bet there were some great deals on those.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 2,525,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I did a dumb thing. I was very happy with the TCL 32" for my bedroom. I made the mistake of purchasing the android version lacking roku for the 55" in my living room. For others it may not matter, but lacking cable I had gotten used to 'The Roku Channel' with 200 live channels, sort of like having basic cable.
You can get a standalone Roku box to hook up to your TV like a cable box. I don't know which one you'd need to get to get your live channels back, but you can get them back. Check out https://www.roku.com/products/players
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics