U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 10:03 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,407,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I got an Element at Target and no complaints. Super cheap.

This is after returning whatever I bought first at Best Buy. Drove it 35 miles home to find out it didn't work. Not that I hate Best Buy or anything, but I had two bad experiences very close together and am no longer their customer.
TCL is a Chinese brand, chief competitor to Vizio in the cheap TV market. Five years ago I would have favored a Vizio, American owned brand at that time, but now Chinese owned. I give you +1 for choosing Element. The Element brand is manufactured in the up and coming high tech center of the US.... Winnsboro, South Carolina. There you have it folks, the only brand of TV made in the United States. I will be looking at this brand when I'm ready to buy a new TV.

Quote from Wiki on the Element brand.....

"In 2012, Element opened its 315,000-square-foot plant in Winnsboro, South Carolina. The company debuted its first Ultra HD and smart TVs in 2015, and it currently offers 25 different models in three series, with screen sizes ranging from 19 to 70 inches and average selling prices from $100 to $1,000."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 04:39 PM

6,321 posts, read 2,525,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I have a TCL 65" 8-series. I'm glad I got it on special for half off MSRP because it might be the most overrated TV on the market...
Just replaced it with a Sony X95H. Much better TV for nearly the same price size-for-size.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 12 days ago)

35,991 posts, read 36,244,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
I have 2 that I got at Costco. The ones I have are good and I haven't had any problems with them. Had them for 3 years.
I have a TCL-Roku that was purchased for me as a gift from Costco approx. 4 years. It is mainly a good TV. The one thing that I haven't figured out is how to stop random updates restarting the TV while watching live broadcasts.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:55 AM

3,027 posts, read 4,462,330 times
Not a TCL but I got a Vizio 32" Smart TV a couple years ago at Sam's Club. For he most part, I have been please. It was not expensive as I really didn't want to spend what I had before on Samsungs and Toshibas. My main gripe about it is that when you turn it on, it won't change channels right away, about a 10 second delay. Also, the sound is not as good as on the Toshiba . Have a small Element in the kitchen and have been pleased with it. Only use antennas here.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:46 AM

19,997 posts, read 9,629,223 times
My TCL 32" was perfect out of the box. My TCL 55" has color issues I don't know to fix. 'Calibrate' is the term, I think. I just don't know why one needs that and the other didn't.

I can't tell a difference between 1080p and 4K, which is fine, 1080p is all I need, but for those looking for 4K, a 4 series is not going to give you that.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:49 PM

12,928 posts, read 6,444,509 times
I've decided now's the time to get a soundbar for my 3 series 28" TCL. The TV itself works fine for me other than that. All I want out of the thing is clarity, not auditorium-filling bass. Cranking up the volume just to hear dialog gets old. Then the next ad breaks your eardrums. I won't be able to test any in person as there are no brick and mortar electronics stores here and have no idea how to start comparing what's on line. Any suggestions how to narrow down the field a bit? Thanks very much!

Old 01-16-2021, 07:49 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,973,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've decided now's the time to get a soundbar for my 3 series 28" TCL. The TV itself works fine for me other than that. All I want out of the thing is clarity, not auditorium-filling bass. Cranking up the volume just to hear dialog gets old. Then the next ad breaks your eardrums. I won't be able to test any in person as there are no brick and mortar electronics stores here and have no idea how to start comparing what's on line. Any suggestions how to narrow down the field a bit? Thanks very much!

28" TCL? They actually make one that small? Any of the cheap Vizio soundbars will work fine, IF that tv set has an optical output.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:25 PM

12,928 posts, read 6,444,509 times
28" TCL? They actually make one that small?

Oops, mine's a 32". Small house, limited wall space and don't want a flat screen dominating everything.

Any of the cheap Vizio soundbars will work fine, IF that tv set has an optical output.

Yes, it has an optical output.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-18-2021, 06:16 AM

36,937 posts, read 64,282,078 times
We just ordered a new TV.
It isn't a TCL, but I really liked studying ratings on this site while making the decision.

https://www.rtings.com/tv

Old 01-18-2021, 09:10 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,119,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
The Element brand is manufactured in the up and coming high tech center of the US.... Winnsboro, South Carolina. There you have it folks, the only brand of TV made in the United States. I will be looking at this brand when I'm ready to buy a new TV.
The Element TV's, much like Vizio was at one point, are not technically manufactured in SC. They are assembled there using Chinese or Korean parts.

AFTER A FEW YEARS,
we decided we wanted to do more; in 2014, we opened our factory in Winnsboro, South Carolina, making Element the only major television company assembling TVs in the United States.

https://elementelectronics.com/our-company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics