U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 09:11 AM

9 posts, read 1,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I think you missed my point. There are no regular broadcasts on channel 73 which is the reason the dish receivers use that one. The "broadcast" I was speaking of would be coming from the dish receiver itself. It has to be on and active on that channel for your TV to pick it up when you scan. Similarly, even if it wasn't on when doing the scan, you can turn your dish receiver on for the 2nd TV, it should start to broadcast on that channel and then you should be able to punch in 73 on the remote. Some modern TVs do not let you tune in to a channel unless there is a signal, some do. Also, just be aware, you will not get HD using a coaxial cable. I don't know if that'a important. In order to get HD you would need to get what you were asking for to begin with. This is it and it's a bit pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/single-75ohm-.../dp/B00HWIWEMU

There may be cheaper options but for this price, I would just have them do another cable run and receiver for the 2nd TV if I really wanted HD. Problem solved but a little more per month for the extra receiver.

Bottom line, you should not need another tuner to do this.

What service, is it Dish Network and what kind of (model) receiver is it?
Its Dish Network. The model is ViP222k.

In Post #1 I explained that I'm not trying to upgrade to HD thru the coax. I just want the dish and the antenna to be able to work at the same time. In order to do that I need to be able to connect one or the other to am HDMI port, which is all I have available.

The TV does not enable tuning to 73. I don't need another cable run - the coax is already there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 10:52 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
Its Dish Network. The model is ViP222k.

In Post #1 I explained that I'm not trying to upgrade to HD thru the coax. I just want the dish and the antenna to be able to work at the same time. In order to do that I need to be able to connect one or the other to am HDMI port, which is all I have available.

The TV does not enable tuning to 73. I don't need another cable run - the coax is already there.
You stated you are not trying to upgrade to HD but by doing what you first asked for (in the thread title), you would get HD anyway assuming you get a converter like the one I linked to. You would get it by using HDMI. You did not do that however it seems. You went the tuner route which is not necessary, I can assure you.

You would (should) be able to view your antenna channels and just tune to 73 when you want to watch dish on TV #2 but you would need a diplexer. I failed to mention this on last post. What that does it combine the signal from your antenna and your coax cable from your dish receiver. This should have been provided by and installed by the dish network technician.

I went back and read the thread. Post #2 by GuyinSd posted a picture of one but that one is a switch. You need a diplexer which combines signals.

Your TV has to pick up a signal on 73 if in fact there is a signal there. If you dish receiver is not turned on for TV#2 (on channel 73 via coax), it will never find a signal there, hence it will not add it to the channels. Most TV's have both analog and digital tuners. When you do a scan, it will scan both analog and digital. It makes multiple passes. It should? pick up your dish receiver on analog and the rest of the channels from the antenna would be on digital. The 222k is an older receiver.

I don't want to complicate things but here's another way of doing it. The above solution should work but anyway, you plug your antenna into the back of the Dish receiver, run a coax to TV #2. There should be an input on the dish receiver labeled "Remote Antenna". This may be more difficult depending on what type of antenna you have. If it's an outdoor antenna and you have a run from that already there, it's easy. In effect, the receiver is combining the signals for you and you don't need what I mentioned above.

Edit to add: I looked again at what you ordered. That will work but will not combine your Antenna and Dish signal but since it's HDMI output, it will allow you to view both. You're good it seems.

Last edited by gguerra; 01-05-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-05-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Very few remotes have numbers nowadays. I think that's what's going on here.
Really?

If it's for a TV, it should have numbers. I've yet to see one for TV that does not have them.

Show me one that doesn't.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:47 PM

Neither the diplexer nor the switch will work in my case.

If I scan for channels with the antenna connected I get all the channels I want, but 73 is not included, so the dish won't work. If I scan without the antenna attached I don't get any channels, but for some reason 73 and 95 are there, so the Dish WILL work.

My old TV worked just fine because it allowed me to manually enter 73 to the list of found channels. I HAD a switch there so the TV would accept both inputs.

To reiterate, I need a thingamajigge that will accept a coax input and have a HDMI output.

Y'all might ask why I need both. Well, I don't really NEED both, I just want them. Over the air I get 44 channels and some of them I like to watch. Those few are not on the dish. And there are a bunch on the dish that are not on the local group.

I'm not so sure this was a smart TV after all. Lots of stupid things about it.

If it were fishing or camping season it wouldn't matter because we'd be outside all day long. But now its cold out, and between covid and other personal health issues TV is simply a short term respite.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:41 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Really?

If it's for a TV, it should have numbers. I've yet to see one for TV that does not have them.

Show me one that doesn't.
My TV remote:

Here's a remote froma Vizio recently:

Old 01-05-2021, 04:00 PM

^^ That sucks.

It really sucks if you have to watch OTA with a lot of channels, not so bad if it's all streaming.

1st one is a Roku TV. I can tell from the purple buttons. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I guess the saving grace may be an app? Still a PITA though.

I just got two LG TV's recently and they both have a numeric pad.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:28 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Second is a Vizio that I believe does NOT have a tuner. They released a series of these last year. I thought that was becoming more common but it looks like it's actually not. So, yea, still kind of rare to NOT have numbers.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:31 AM

4,104 posts, read 713,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Second is a Vizio that I believe does NOT have a tuner. They released a series of these last year. I thought that was becoming more common but it looks like it's actually not. So, yea, still kind of rare to NOT have numbers.
Those Vizio models are called "Displays", not tvs. If you "accidentally" buy one, you will need to buy a tv tuner box to connect a antenna for Over The Air (OTA) channels.

In my case I have a Vizio tv with a faulty/worn out tuner connection. When I scan for channels with the antenna directly connected, they don't all show up. So I need to go through a tuner box.

Antenna (coax)------>[Tuner box coax input]---[Tuner box HDMI output]------>[Vizio HDMI]

I turn on the tuner box, and Vizio. After I set the Vizio to the correct HDMI, I use the tuner box remote
to scan for channels. In my area I get around 40 OTA stations.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Those Vizio models are called "Displays", not tvs. If you "accidentally" buy one, you will need to buy a tv tuner box to connect a antenna for Over The Air (OTA) channels.

In my case I have a Vizio tv with a faulty/worn out tuner connection. When I scan for channels with the antenna directly connected, they don't all show up. So I need to go through a tuner box.

Antenna (coax)------>[Tuner box coax input]---[Tuner box HDMI output]------>[Vizio HDMI]

I turn on the tuner box, and Vizio. After I set the Vizio to the correct HDMI, I use the tuner box remote
to scan for channels. In my area I get around 40 OTA stations.
Once you scan are you then good to go, or do you have to re-scan every time you turn the TV on?

Old 01-06-2021, 11:35 AM

4,104 posts, read 713,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
Once you scan are you then good to go, or do you have to re-scan every time you turn the TV on?
No, once and done.

You should first do a full scan with your antenna placed in the best location.

Review the channels you are receiving. If they all come in, you're good to go. But if you have a few missing channels you may to manually scan for them. Which can be as simple as scanning for the channel,
and turning you antenna to catch the signal better.

Check to see what channels you can get here:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
https://www.antennaweb.org/
https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...pper&Itemid=29
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics