U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:12 PM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Those Vizio models are called "Displays", not tvs. If you "accidentally" buy one, you will need to buy a tv tuner box to connect a antenna for Over The Air (OTA) channels.
Even people who own them, surely still call it a TV. DGAF what Vizio calls it. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 10:42 AM

9 posts, read 1,598 times
Not a happy camper. I bought the tuner recommended in post #4 and the performance is lousy.

If I plug my antenna into the coax port on the TV, and then do a channel scan with the TV, I get 44 stations and all look wonderful and work fine.

If I plug the antenna into the Amazon Tuner and do a scan, I only get half as many stations and only a handful come in clearly. Most are pixilated and the "No Signal" window comes up every few seconds.

Its the same antenna in the same place.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
Not a happy camper. I bought the tuner recommended in post #4 and the performance is lousy.

If I plug my antenna into the coax port on the TV, and then do a channel scan with the TV, I get 44 stations and all look wonderful and work fine.

If I plug the antenna into the Amazon Tuner and do a scan, I only get half as many stations and only a handful come in clearly. Most are pixilated and the "No Signal" window comes up every few seconds.

I kind of gave up on you. It seemed you got what you wanted. I went back and read what you posted.

Quote:
If I scan for channels with the antenna connected I get all the channels I want, but 73 is not included, so the dish won't work. If I scan without the antenna attached I don't get any channels, but for some reason 73 and 95 are there, so the Dish WILL work.
The issue it seems is the scanning. You need to scan both digital and analog.

Your regular channels that you get over antenna will come in when you scan DTV.

Channel 73 coming out of the dish receiver will be transmitted on Analog 73.

You need to scan for both. All of my TVs will do it in succession. They scan DTV first, then the rest.

Once it finishes scanning the different sections, you should get your OTA channels AND channel 73. That is the point I was trying to make before. The TV already has a tuner, no need to get another one.

This screen is from an LG TV. It shows what I am talking about.

What is the brand/model of the TV so we can look up the manual?

Old 01-18-2021, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 1,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I kind of gave up on you. It seemed you got what you wanted.

Once it finishes scanning the different sections, you should get your OTA channels AND channel 73. That is the point I was trying to make before. The TV already has a tuner, no need to get another one.

I didn't get what I wanted. I wanted 2 usable inputs - one from an antenna and the other a coax dish cable. I got the dish but the antenna side doesn't work.

Yes, its true that the TV scans both analog and digital. The point that I was trying to make was that there ain't no channel 73. When the TV scans it only picks up channels that are broadcasting. The TV Tech Service says that I can't manually enter 73.

The TV is a vizio D32F-G4.

I suppose I could get a new Dish box with 2 HDMI outputs, and then rip open the walls on 2 floors of the house and replace the coax with an HDMI cable, but that ain't happening either!

Old 01-18-2021, 03:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 3,420,449 times
Quote:
I didn't get what I wanted. I wanted 2 usable inputs - one from an antenna and the other a coax dish cable. I got the dish but the antenna side doesn't work.

Yes, its true that the TV scans both analog and digital. The point that I was trying to make was that there ain't no channel 73. When the TV scans it only picks up channels that are broadcasting. The TV Tech Service says that I can't manually enter 73.

The TV is a vizio D32F-G4.

I suppose I could get a new Dish box with 2 HDMI outputs, and then rip open the walls on 2 floors of the house and replace the coax with an HDMI cable, but that ain't happening either!
You would not run two HDMI cables from the one receiver. You would run another coax from your satellite dish to another dish receiver then use HDMI to your vizio. That is another way to add a second HD TV. The dish technicians do that for you and you should not have to rip open anything. They run it inside the walls or outside the house.

Another option would be to add a module to your receiver so that you can hook up an antenna to it. So, OTA antenna to receiver, coax to TV 2. It would not be HDMI but you gain nothing from HDMI when you are converting from coax.

This is the module. You could get it from dish but they charge monthly.
https://www.solidsignal.com/dish-mt2...odule-es162303

It's actually quite common to have OTA antennas with dish receivers as there are usually channels they don't carry or sometimes they drop channels. In fact, sometimes they will install an outdoor antenna for you, possibly for free. I know because my mother had this setup.

You can always call them for advice as I have suggested. I am sure you are not the only customer with this situation.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:40 AM

705 posts, read 513,110 times
Quote:

Maybe try plugging the antenna into the TV's coax, and the cablebox coax into the amazon tuner?

Old 01-27-2021, 12:18 AM

230 posts, read 30,723 times
Use two splitters. You can purchase it for cheap at a electronic store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics