Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2021, 04:28 AM

388 posts, read 327,362 times

Advertisements

following a power interruption. I did some digging on Google and found this stupid thing called CEC (Anynet+ CEC on mine) can be tuned off in settings to stop this hopefully for good.

Using the breaker panel to do a test, I found out this actually works.
TV stays off following power interruption as it should with this CEC set OFF.

I don't want the TV turning on by itself especially while away from home. It might be turned up too loud and bother my neighbors.

They have not designed this CEC "smart" enough to detect a power outage so as not to turn the TV on when power comes back again.

Ideally if CEC was designed better, if the TV was on at the time of the power outage it should come back on again when power returns.
If the TV was off at the time, it should stay off when power returns.

The TV CEC should have a memory to save the power status of the set (ON or OFF) during interruptions in electricity. Other connected HDMI devices as Blu-Ray disk players, cable/sat receivers, stereo receivers and PC's should have the same power-outage-detection logic. Things that were in place regarding device operation before the power went out should be the same once power returns again.

They have yet to design this CEC notion to be "power-interruption-proof".

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/stop-tv...turning-on-off

My TV should not have turned ON after the power was restored anyway. The only two HDMI devices hooked up to the TV are my laptop and Blu-ray.

Anynet+ CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is supposed to detect a signal in order to power the TV on and switch the input to it anyway. Once the power returns, the Blu-ray stays off and the PC stays off too so there was no signal anyway. The laptop is configured to only run on wall power when the lid is shut to conserve the battery. It has to be manually rebooted when power comes back on.

I don't know why then the TV was turning on following a power restore since there was no input signal even from anything. The CEC evidently is not working the way it should.

Samsung SmartTV is not that smart.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 04:33 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Is that a common problem or just you?

Old 04-07-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is that a common problem or just you?
It's a problem for everybody who owns one of these stupid TV's where power outages occur unless they know how to disable the silly CEC thing which don't work worth a hoot anyhow. I live in Oklahoma and power outages are common during adverse weather.

No, it's not just me. Millions of Americans own these "dumb" sets.

I'm a baby-boomer from an era where TV sets and many other things were a lot simpler. Do you remember vertical hold, tubes and the dial tuned by hand to change the channel?

Old 04-07-2021, 05:32 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post

I'm a baby-boomer from an era where TV sets and many other things were a lot simpler. Do you remember vertical hold, tubes and the dial tuned by hand to change the channel?
Yep, and only three stations: NBC, ABC, and CBS.

The remote control and ability to record programs are dandy inventions, though.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Unplug it between uses

Old 04-07-2021, 12:13 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
The TV is supposed to remain on stand-by after you turn it off. Look through the TV's settings to see if there is an option for it to stay on stand-by mode after a power loss or blackout.

Something else: after a power loss, look at every one of the components that are connected to the TV (cable box, DVD player, Apple TV, Roku, and so on), and make sure that none are turn on. Any of these components that turns on by itself when the power returns, will turn the TV on if the TV is set to stand-by mode. So there is a chance that the problem is not with the TV.

You can always duplicate the problem. Have somebody trip the circuit breaker while you watch the TV and all the components connected to it. Wait about 10-15 minutes before having the person switching the circuit breaker back on (make sure that you are looking at the components, not the TV). If you see any the components "power on" LED coming on, you have found the problem.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The TV is supposed to remain on stand-by after you turn it off. Look through the TV's settings to see if there is an option for it to stay on stand-by mode after a power loss or blackout.

Something else: after a power loss, look at every one of the components that are connected to the TV (cable box, DVD player, Apple TV, Roku, and so on), and make sure that none are turn on. Any of these components that turns on by itself when the power returns, will turn the TV on if the TV is set to stand-by mode. So there is a chance that the problem is not with the TV.

You can always duplicate the problem. Have somebody trip the circuit breaker while you watch the TV and all the components connected to it. Wait about 10-15 minutes before having the person switching the circuit breaker back on (make sure that you are looking at the components, not the TV). If you see any the components "power on" LED coming on, you have found the problem.

No, the easiest thing I found to do was turn off the Anynet+ jazz. That fixed it for me. It sure beats unplugging the set each and every time it's used. I don't need that stupid CEC thing anyway.

I don't even subscribe to sat or cable anymore. The "TV" is now just a big 40" monitor for a laptop and a Blu-ray.

I now decided to configure my laptop to run on battery when the lid is closed and the power goes out. I don't like to keep removing the glass shelf on my TV rack to open lid to turn the laptop on again following the power outage. The laptop is sandwiched between two shelves. This HP Pavilion of mine puts the damn on/off switch right underneath the lid instead of in the front on the outside. Power outages are fortunately never long enough where I live to run a laptop's battery down anyway. I rarely need a laptop for mobile use so it is mainly my set-top PC. It's thin and fits on the entertainment rack nicely.

Last edited by JohnPBailey; 04-07-2021 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 03:52 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
No, the easiest thing I found to do was turn off the Anynet+ jazz. That fixed it for me. It sure beats unplugging the set each and every time it's used. I don't need that stupid CEC thing anyway.

I don't even subscribe to sat or cable anymore. The "TV" is now just a big 40" monitor for a laptop and a Blu-ray.

I now decided to configure my laptop to run on battery when the lid is closed and the power goes out. I don't like to keep removing the glass shelf on my TV rack to open lid to turn the laptop on again following the power outage. The laptop is sandwiched between two shelves. This HP Pavilion of mine puts the damn on/off switch right underneath the lid instead of in the front on the outside. Power outages are fortunately never long enough where I live to run a laptop's battery down anyway. I rarely need a laptop for mobile use so it is mainly my set-top PC. It's thin and fits on the entertainment rack nicely.
I see...

At least you found what's causing the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics