U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 07:34 PM

13,615 posts, read 6,733,978 times

Advertisements

Good time to buy a TV with Super Bowl coming up.

If you only have 2 HDMI devices plugged into it, just about any TV will do. Take a look at a 43” 4K as that’s in the sweet spot for cheap and functional. Or up to 50”.

Anything will be better than your 2008 TV when it comes to black level, contrast, etc. EXCEPT possibly sound quality/volume. The older LCD TVs were physically thicker so often had bigger and louder speakers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 07:48 AM

3,580 posts, read 3,065,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. You need a new TV.

2. Decide what size you want. Personally, I think 50-inch is the smallest size to consider. No one has ever said: I wish I bought a smaller TV. (We just upgraded two 50-inch TVs to one 55-inch and one 77-inch.)
3. Decide on a budget. Don't lowball. After all, you are dividing the cost by 10 years.
4. Consider getting a sound bar. The speakers inside TVs today are not very good. The Yamaha SR-C20A is only $150. The Sonos Arc is amazing, but it also $800.
5. Smart or dumb TV does not matter as in the long run you will separate the TV and the streaming device (Firestick, Roku, Apple TV). TV manufacturers are notorious for not updating the software in their smart TVs.
6. You want 4K support. All new content is 4K.
7. The remaining choice is OLED vs not. (QLED is not OLED, but a marketing gimmick to confuse the unwary.) OLED provides a better picture, but the cost is about 3-4x. I personally think OLED is worth it, but, then I was not constrained by cost.
8. You may need to replace your Firestick with a newer model for 4K support.

The LG TV recommended by gguerra above would be an excellent choice for $320.
The OLED version OLED55BXPUA is $1300 — https://www.target.com/p/lg-55-39-39...a/-/A-52328755

Agree with 1-4 (sound bar of full theater system is needed TV speakers suck).

Even 5 is somewhat correct. However, still out on the Android TVs. I have one that is a few months over 4 years old and the software has been updated quite regularly by Sony; however, my first 1080 Smart TV wasn't. So will Sony keep my android up for years? Time will tell. But like I said before, if they don't, a ROKU will work just fine.

However, I disagree, ALL NEW CONTENT is NOT 4K. Can give an example off the top of my head and that is a NEW series on Amazon Prime; FLACK. However, most of the new series on Amazon is UHD (4K); BUT CERTAINLY NOT ALL.

Cannot speak for Netflix cause I do not subscribe to the UHD content; however, last year when I did, not all new content coming to Netflix was UHD. Neflix UHD content costs more than that standard content.

In addition most cable, Dish and Direct content is NOT 4K. Just standard HD and in some cases only SD.

And if you did have a chance to watch nothing but 4K, make sure you have enough monthly internet service available cause most people most likely do not (however, to be fair, many do). Netflix did a test and the results were:

Per minute full HD 53MB - 4K 114MB
Per Hour full HD 3.2 GB - 4K 6.8GB
Per a season of 10, 45 minute shows full HD 24GB - 4K 51.3GB

So, 4K easily uses double the amount of bandwidth per time. Just saying.

Also, I question if most can tell the different between 4K and 1080 from a distance of normal viewing. I have two 4Ks and one older 1080 and I cannot tell a difference; unless the 4K content is filmed with full HDR; then the viewing in dark areas of the video are a heck of a lot better.

Even if purchasing a 4K disc, most are not actually what is considered 4K but up processed to 4K. But you then need a 4K player, and yes, I will say that those actually filmed in 4K and played on a good 4K player to a 4K movie are good and crisp, but better? Personal opinion. And 4K players are not cheap. The one I have was a few hundred. While BR players are below 100 easily in many cases.

Most 4K TVs will upgrade the a video signal but they cannot produce more pixels than received. They do a good job, but how much is again, a personal opinion.

HOWEVER, all that is said, it is damn hard to find a TV in this day and age that is NOT 4K. Just walking through Best Buy a few months ago, they only had 4K TVs (Idaho Falls store). And it appears Wally World is the same. And I agree, in this day-and-age, only get a 4K who knows what you will want in a year.

Also, an older firestick can work on a 4K TV. you do not need to send a 4K signal to a 4K TV. In one of my rooms I have an older BR player connected to a 4K TV and it works just fine.

Also, another option in the 4K arena is Full-Array LED vs edge LED. Most LED are EDGE in that LEDs are along the edge aimed at the center of the TV screen and use shutters to control the light to the image. This makes it possible to only dim larger sections. Edge lighting LEDs have been on the market for years and still make up the greater majority of TVs sold

Full Array LED TVs, had thousands or hundreds (depends on the TV size) spread throughout the entire back of the TV allowing for pinpoint dimming and produce a deeper darks and richer color images than the edge.

Best to compare them side-by-side in a TV store. Hard to explain. When I first encountered this design last year, I was amazed at how much deeper the blacks were and some colors popped. And I thought my first Sony 4K LED (edge lit) was fantastic, and I would never have noticed a difference.

However I purchase the full-array and that is my main TV. And even though not side-by-side, I can see noticeable differences between the two when watching.

I also believe full-array is becoming more available.

Also questioning the statement on OLED not being OLED. OLED stands for organic light emitting diode and TVs advertised as OLED are OLED, or so I have researched so would like to know why OLED IS NOT OLED in your view.

Could you be mistaking OLED (organic light emitting diode) for QLED (Quantum Light-Emitting Diode basically a LED with some quantum particles or something added...STILL a very good picture) by Samsung. Here are two articles that helps to make the difference understandable:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...tv/ar-BB19jBNO

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ed-vs-oled-tv/

Old 01-25-2021, 09:40 AM

13,016 posts, read 15,122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Also questioning the statement on OLED not being OLED. OLED stands for organic light emitting diode and TVs advertised as OLED are OLED, or so I have researched so would like to know why OLED IS NOT OLED in your vie
He said OLED is not QLED.

I disagree with him the QLED is just marketing to confuse people. Come on, man.
It's does provide a slightly better picture when compared to the standard Sammy TV's.

Spot on with everything else though.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:03 PM

36,952 posts, read 64,295,450 times
Save a buck.
Buy a 50" plasma used. About $100 on Craigslist here.

I have three 50", two bought off Craigslist 3-5 years ago, and they are all perfect.

Bites the dust? There is another one out there for $100.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:20 AM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 18 days ago)

15,605 posts, read 23,468,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
And if you did have a chance to watch nothing but 4K, make sure you have enough monthly internet service available cause most people most likely do not (however, to be fair, many do).
We have no caps on our internet service. This issue never even entered my brain.
I cannot even find out how much Gbits we "consume".

We dropped Comcrap over 2 years ago. Streaming is cheaper and more versatile.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:27 AM

Default We are OLED converts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Save a buck. Buy a 50" plasma used.
Or, do what we did.
Replace the 50-inch plasma with 77-inch OLED TV + Yamaha receiver + 6 KEF speakers + Logitech remote + installation + taxes.
Only cost $7600 more than your old plasma.
Spending the kid's inheritance.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 3,420,449 times
Quote:
Or, do what we did.
Replace the 50-inch plasma with 77-inch OLED TV + Yamaha receiver + 6 KEF speakers + Logitech remote + installation + taxes.
I hear Plasma Tvs work great as heaters though. You may save on your gas or electric bill.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I hear Plasma Tvs work great as heaters though. You may save on your ... electric bill.
Not in the Summer when we run the AC.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:07 AM

36,952 posts, read 64,295,450 times
Quote:
Or, do what we did.
Nice unhelpful flaunt, Dave, on a thread where the OP is significantly price conscious.

I have a hunch that a good used plasma would serve her needs and be much closer to her request than $7700 worth of gear.

I just spent $1400 on a Samsung QN65Q80TAFXZA 65" 4K QLED TV, but I don't think that is much more relevant to the thread than your gear. Sometimes people just come here looking for helpful input.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:02 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,772,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Nice unhelpful flaunt, Dave, on a thread where the OP is significantly price conscious.

I have a hunch that a good used plasma would serve her needs and be much closer to her request than $7700 worth of gear.

I just spent $1400 on a Samsung QN65Q80TAFXZA 65" 4K QLED TV, but I don't think that is much more relevant to the thread than your gear. Sometimes people just come here looking for helpful input.
I think the thought is, don't go with dead technology. Plasma is pretty, but newer LED and OLED TV's are better.

I have a 55" Sony TV, paid about $1500 for it a few years ago. 4K, HDR, the works. Sure, I could have spent 500 bucks and gotten a 4K TV, but they looked like crap compared to mine. $1200-$1500 gets a whole hell of a lot of TV these days. If you don't care about image quality, anything off the shelf will work. You want a good TV, you're going to spend on it. You don't have to spend 3 or 4 grand of course, but a thousand or so goes a long way. I'm seriously considering moving the current Sony down to my office and getting an OLED for the living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics