Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 07:18 PM

242 posts, read 317,882 times

Advertisements

I know they already have a Limited Manufacturer Warranty, but would it be pointless to add a 3 year Walmart Protection Plan to a Surge Protector? Also, any benefits to the Connected Equipment Warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Is it pointless to add a Walmart Protection Plan to a Surge Protector?-8-10.jpg   Is it pointless to add a Walmart Protection Plan to a Surge Protector?-8.jpg   Is it pointless to add a Walmart Protection Plan to a Surge Protector?-10.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Let's say this one fails in the next 3 years. Can you afford to buy a new one? If the answer is no, it might be worthwhile.

I have working surge protectors that I bought 30 years ago. It's not a component that fails very often, unless there's a lightning strike. Those are rare. Personally, I think it's worth the risk to go without the protection plan, even if you can afford it.

It's worth mentioning protection plans are a huge profit center for retailers. Probably because almost no one ever makes a claim on them.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:40 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
What do those cost $20-25 each? I think it would be absolutely foolish to buy any extra protection plan for something like that. But, then again, I always say no to these plans because they are generally not worth it.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:37 AM

226 posts, read 158,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
What do those cost $20-25 each? I think it would be absolutely foolish to buy any extra protection plan for something like that. But, then again, I always say no to these plans because they are generally not worth it.

X2

I bought a fishing reel recently - the register clerk asked if I wanted insurance for it..

I just grinned him off - no thanks...

Old 01-30-2021, 11:43 AM

1,462 posts, read 973,938 times
If you do go for it, at least it is only $4 for the 3 year extended warranty. But as others said, it is not worth it most of the time. Your photos don't state what is the limited warranty or the Connected Equipment Warranty. Although I would expect the warranty would cover electrical damage to your connected equipment should the surge protector fail.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:19 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I normally get one if the item is over $40. It has worked well for me, late last year, my dustbuster broke down, took it back to Best Buy & they gave me a full refund, no questions asked, the money I got back, was enough to buy a new cordless hand vac & a new warranty. A Chromebook also stopped working & I got a full refund of the price paid on that too. With the flimsy way, things are made, nowadays, I almost expect them to break down after a year.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
The warranty covers equipment, not the surge protector.

A quick internet search says homeowners insurance covers lightning damage to electronics, but check your policy to be sure.

A thought: unless your work requires expensive electronics, avoid buying expensive gear in the first place. As others mention, most of the stuff isn't made to last more than a few years anyway.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Whenever you buy a protection plan, you have to realize it's offered because it's profitable to the retailer.

That is, the statistical likelihood that they will have to pay is less than the likelihood that they won't have to pay.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:18 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
How do you define 'Failed' Did it give up its life to protect your electronics? Hey it did exactly what it was designed to do in the worst case.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:29 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The warranty covers equipment, not the surge protector.

A quick internet search says homeowners insurance covers lightning damage to electronics, but check your policy to be sure.

A thought: unless your work requires expensive electronics, avoid buying expensive gear in the first place. As others mention, most of the stuff isn't made to last more than a few years anyway.

Your Insurance probably has a deductable but even if it is covered the nuisance of having to go thru the process is worth it for me to buy a good surge suppresor (several actually for equipment in different rooms)

I actually judge suppressors by the amount they say they will pay if they don't protect the equipment connected to them. I have had to replace 3 suppressors over the last 20+ years (2 at one time, it was a BAD storm). I don't want to jinx it but I have never had a device damaged when connected thru a suppressor. so I considered them money well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics