Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:20 AM

621 posts, read 3,204,806 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a 37" Samsung LCD flatscreen for $900 at Costco. I love it and it looks great. I never watch sports so I can't say what they look like, but the other HD channels when hooked up correctly look great. The color is so bright and the picture is very sharp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 PM

73 posts, read 365,431 times
We purchased the Sharp 42" LCD HDTV Aquos about 6 months ago. My husband is much more into electronics than I and takes his TV very seriously.

He loves it!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 PM

3,037 posts, read 7,927,432 times
Consumer Reports says HDMI cables not needed.I purchased a Samsung LN-T3242H inch from Amazon delivered and set up for $729 very friendly on screen menu.Remote is a little long.My HD could not be better,connected to RJ 56 cable 30 feet from Dish receiver thru splitters to other rooms and TV's.Super excellent picture.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM

17,980 posts, read 27,436,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
$1400-$1800 will buy you basically whatever you want for 42" or under. Personally I like Samsung LCD tv's but I'd get a plasma with you're budget and size specs. Plasma's are still the best at showing rich color and have the best viewing range but at 42" I wouldn't worry about 1080P as you can't see much detail until you get a 50". Panasonic has great plasma tv's and are always the most highly rated in Consumer Reports. I don't personally like off-brands like Olevia, Vizio, Insignia, etc if you can help buying one; they offer cheap prices but usually at the expense of quality of the tv or picture quality.
I'd agree with this. I love our Samsung LCD. It became a lot nicer with Directv DVR and lots of HD channels.

I hear that Plasmas hum at about 5500 ft and above. Can anybody verify this, aka has anybody experienced this? Might have to be somebody from Colorado, NM, Flagstaff AZ, Wyoming, etc. before you'd even have to worry about that. We do.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,578 times
lcd plasma has glass front & can shatter

Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 PM

105 posts, read 351,514 times
DEFINATELY BUY A SAMSUNG LCD!!! Some experts will say a plasma is better but trust me, you wont get a crystal clear picture if you're sitting in the wrong section of the room. With an LCD, you can see it clearly from all angles. Plasmas can darken as you move around the room. We've been researching this for the past 2 months....... SAMSUNG IS THE BEST SELLER IN EVERY STORE WE'VE BEEN IN! Hope this helps!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,867,944 times
Plasma doesn't suffer from viewing angle problems; DLP does, though. LCDs can be brighter and sharper than plasmas, but some don't have very good black levels. Plasmas DO suffer from burn-in though.

LCDs also look worse (IMO) with non-HD signals. Non-HD looks bad on all of them (Plasma, DLP, and LCD) but LCD has the pixellated look, while plasma is more of a grainy natural distortion.

LCDs are also much lighter, as they don't have the 2 heavy glass plates that plasma does.

So, it kind of becomes a preference/application thing. I'm nearly ready to buy a 50" plasma based on my needs and preferences. In my research, Pioneer are the top rated models, followed by Panasonic. I'll probably end up getting the Panasonic.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,851,398 times
A year ago last Christmas we went looking for a new flat screen. We went in to Best Buy thinking we wanted a plasma but changed our minds when we saw them on the wall in directed light. The plasma has real issues with glare so we opted instead for the LCD, a Sony Bravia, and have loved it. This past Christmas we got a second set for my husband's study, a Sharp Aquos, and it has a great LCD picture as well. In a home theater environment with no glare issues, the plasma would be fine but in a room with windows and incoming light, the LCD is much better.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
Read this thread also. Anything I would tell you I added to it.

LCD versus Plasma HDTV (computers, desktop, laptop, monitor) - Science and Technology - City-Data Forum (http://tinyurl.com/3k89fh - broken link)

Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,212 times
Well, I found out that my new Sony 32" 1080p HDTV have just arrive yesterday at my parent's home and I have a PS3 waiting to be played! I wonder though is my HDTV plasma or not? P.S. Do I need HDMI cables even though I'm planning on getting HD access from Directv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics