Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times

Advertisements

Microsoft and Netflix partnered up and released an official Media Center plugin for Netflix not that long ago. Works great, and much more reliable than the old 3rd party alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,412 times
We have one and really like it. The choice of movies is limited though.
You can't download the new releases and most of the selections is of really old stuff.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Wonder why they care...

Anyway, I have my "TV-connected device" running Hulu every day.. it's my PC with an S-Video out on the video card.
Hulu's content partners don't want the service to compete with DVD sales. I doubt that you're buying many DVDs of shows that appear on Hulu.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Microsoft and Netflix partnered up and released an official Media Center plugin for Netflix not that long ago. Works great, and much more reliable than the old 3rd party alternatives.
Netflix through Media Center, or on any PC platform, doesn't allow HD streaming. Only the 3rd party hardware devices do like Roku, xbox 360, certain blu-ray players. . .

We use the media center plugin because we can't get a fast enough connection for HD anyway, and I have the hulu desktop integration app in media center letting me control it w/ my remote.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:52 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Hulu's content partners don't want the service to compete with DVD sales. I doubt that you're buying many DVDs of shows that appear on Hulu.
No and I didn't when I watched them on cable either.

I generally watch Hulu for the new episodes, which are old by the time they come out on DVD anyway.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,578 times
I don't know how people don't have netflix. Renting from Blockbuster is too much and buying a used dvd is too much as well. Plus, I always hated how some folks would buy a movie to watch it for the first time, only to never watch it again because of how bad the movie was.

I was guilty of the above on a few occasions but have since enjoyed movies through netflix and redbox. If the movie is great and worth repeat viewing, I purchase it for my collection.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I got my Netflix player last week. It's a great little box that's super-easy to connect and use. Picture quality is quite good, too. Overall, the only drawback is the limited number of titles available from the Netflix library. If you have widely-varied taste in movies and an interest in films that are more than 5 years old, you should find plenty to like in the instant-viewing options. If you only care about films and shows from the past decade, then you might not find much to watch on this player.
If ya got more time to fill ()how about Amazon movies ? As I understand the movies that Amazon offer will play on Roku too.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
If ya got more time to fill ()how about Amazon movies ? As I understand the movies that Amazon offer will play on Roku too.
I've watched a few Amazon movies on the Roku box, too. IMO, since most recent releases on Amazon are $3.99 (or more for HD), they're a little pricey, but the quality and convenience are top notch.

It's good for impulse buying, mainly those occasions when we want to see something ASAP and don't want to have to wait for it to trickle in from the Netflix queue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics