Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 08:05 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
These Android-powered television set-top boxes are typically cheap and are highly customizable, packing several streaming services into a single device, rather than buying separate hardware. Their listings on Amazon boast four-out-of-five star ratings and collectively racked up thousands of praiseworthy reviews.

But security researchers say the models are sold preloaded with malware capable of launching coordinated cyberattacks.
https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/18/po.../?guccounter=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 11:51 AM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
your tv from (any make) has microphones in it, plus analytic software, and establishes on its own outbound connections.

hit the road, go RV'ing

Old 05-22-2023, 07:35 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
your tv from (any make) has microphones in it

Not true at all. Most of them don't. None of mine do. Samsung tried it and gave up on it already. This is a feature that is already dying on the vine, if not dead already.
If you think they're sneaking in a microphone to record you, I promise you, they aren't.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:04 AM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not true at all. Most of them don't. None of mine do. Samsung tried it and gave up on it already. This is a feature that is already dying on the vine, if not dead already.
If you think they're sneaking in a microphone to record you, I promise you, they aren't.
um you might wanna crack a few open, and while you are at it, include the remote. In everything made in the last 10 years people bring in for repair, its 100% tho to be honest I do see a slight drop off as the newest ones with some sort of 'xxxx-cast' in it (not just vizio) when you include the TV ap on your phone, it uses the phone mic(s) to get what it wants. PLUS, TVs which have the ability to be computer monitors also act as speakers and mics for the 'pc' so you can zoom/teams/skype etc.

I did find out the hard way that if you clip off the mic, the TV throws a hardware error - oooops. cant win, cant lose, cant leave the game.

aside from your phone which is likely on and active next to you 24 hours a day, the tv is number 2 and they want that data. and when you start the tv up for the first time, you click agree on the EULA which gives your consent for such monitoring.

As I remind each customer...you didnt build it, you didnt write the software, ergo you have no idea of the depths of its plumbing.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:32 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Anything with a voice assistant built in has mics - which is pretty much any Google TV. Samsungs are still coming with them too. All kinds of guides on how to turn them off.

You'd be surprised at what these mics are being used for. Most are benign - Alexa, etc. But they are indeed listening.

That said, if someone wants to listen in on what's going on in my living room, more power to them. It's not like we're sitting in there discussing state secrets or voicing out our account numbers. No, they'd probably hear things no one in their right mind would ever care about, or things that might make their grandma blush. Should have plugged their ears

Old 05-23-2023, 07:41 AM

I'm talking about actual TV sets, not Rokus or Android TV boxes.

Although I did just go to Samsung and see they still do have TV's with "GOOGLE BIXBY AND ALEXA BUILT IN". I get it as a big Google user and smart home fan but I don't need to speak to my TV. I've tried and it never gets it right. I only use it nowadays...to turn the TV off. lol

Agree Rebl.... you want to listen to me get frustrated helping my son with his homewok in my living room? Hey go for it.

Old 05-23-2023, 12:47 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
I'm talking about actual TV sets, not Rokus or Android TV boxes.

Although I did just go to Samsung and see they still do have TV's with "GOOGLE BIXBY AND ALEXA BUILT IN". I get it as a big Google user and smart home fan but I don't need to speak to my TV. I've tried and it never gets it right. I only use it nowadays...to turn the TV off. lol

Agree Rebl.... you want to listen to me get frustrated helping my son with his homewok in my living room? Hey go for it.
Yep, Sony is still doing it too. Almost every Smart TV now has it baked in since they're either Google, WebOS or Tizen.

Remotes are coming with mics now too - and not just the standalone boxes. You can speak to your remote and off it goes!

Old 05-24-2023, 08:16 AM

Yea, my Roku remote has a mic. Which I also never use.

When they can get to the point, if ever, to be able to pull this off, I might:
"TV, play episode 6 of Tulsa King on Paramount Plus"... I might start using it.

Retract my "TV's don't have Mics" I was thinking more like that failed attempt Samsung tried before the dawn of "The Assistants".

https://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/tec...acy/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics