Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Now I will have to go home & check our Planet Earth version! What is the difference?
The commentator. The Discovery version is with Sigourney Weaver and the BBC version is David Attenborough. Although Davis does have a slight accent that may take a minute to get used to, he is much more engaging during his commentary. Sigourney is pretty monotone and speaks with little emotion. But of course, that is just my personal opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
The commentator. The Discovery version is with Sigourney Weaver and the BBC version is David Attenborough. Although Davis does have a slight accent that may take a minute to get used to, he is much more engaging during his commentary. Sigourney is pretty monotone and speaks with little emotion. But of course, that is just my personal opinion!

Agreed completely!!!

We have the full Blue Planet and Planet Earth Series on Blu Ray and watch it over and over again. (btw, I don't know if it's still on sale, but amazon.com had both series in blu ray for under $100)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 PM

You can actually pick up the BBC version in blu-ray from Amazon UK site for under $40 shipped!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,837 times
I'm not a 'latest and greatest' type of person, and i bought an HDTV only because my 32" tube TV quit working. I could buy a new one for what it cost to get it fixed, and I got an extremely good deal on my HDTV through bestbuy.com.

There are plenty of HD channels available; I stayed on regular cable for a couple of months, but then switched to dish network because their all HD package was $5/mo more than cable.

I currently have 46 HD channels in my $30/mo package, and for a little extra I've got 14 HBO/Starz movie channels, plus my local digital channels that broadcast in HD for primetime, sports, some of them do news in HD etc. . ., I've got 18 digital locals.

That's a lot of good programming.

If it weren't for my old TV dying, I'd still be watching it with regular cable, but I figured I might as well use it to the full extent since the cost wasn't much more.

Oh and DVD's look awesome through my upconverting player.

HDTV is not a rip-off.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,139,909 times
Quote:
Went home & checked & we have the BBC version. My husband, who is usually on top of these things wasn't aware there were 2 versions, so we lucked out.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,466 times
Now, there are few channels, but, when the Government says that everyone HAS to start broadcasting in HDTV, then you will get ALL channels in this, so, THATS why you should buy it...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Now, there are few channels, but, when the Government says that everyone HAS to start broadcasting in HDTV, then you will get ALL channels in this, so, THATS why you should buy it...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
The government isn't requiring broadcasters to broadcast in HDTV. They are going to require broadcasts to be digital, not analog. Most older TVs only pick up analog signals, and will have to get a digital converter box to pick up a digital signal.

HDTVs are capable of picking up digital signals, but not all digital signals are HD, which stands for "High Definition." Many stations broadcast in High Def, but not all, and the proposed switch to all-digital broadcasts isn't going to require any stations to broadcast in High Def.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
The government isn't requiring broadcasters to broadcast in HDTV.
Very right. It's amazing how, with all the publicity, people are stil confused on that issue, isn't it?

PEOPLE - DIGITAL TV IS NOT THE SAME AS HDTV!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Very right. It's amazing how, with all the publicity, people are stil confused on that issue, isn't it?

PEOPLE - DIGITAL TV IS NOT THE SAME AS HDTV!
I think the confusion comes from people who buy a "HD" TV so they assume they are viewing high def content, which we know is not the case. In order to view high-def, owning a HDTV is just one step of the equation.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
I think the confusion comes from people who buy a "HD" TV so they assume they are viewing high def content, which we know is not the case. In order to view high-def, owning a HDTV is just one step of the equation.

Yup. I'm still amazed at the number of people that hook up there hidef sets with composite or coaxial cable and think they are getting a hidef signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics