Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 09:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times

Advertisements

Is it true that with Trac-phone one does not need a provider? One just buys the phone and "airtime" and is set to go.
Sounds too good to be true.
But someone told me that, and so I thought I'd check.
Thanks..

ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 10:31 AM

1,095 posts, read 641,748 times
In a nutshell...you always need a provider. Tracfone is a type of provider that pays the main providers to use their towers, etc. You can search MVNO for more info. There are many MVNO providers that do the same thing...Tracfone is the largest. They are a subsidiary of Verizon, but they also use AT&T and T-Mobile towers as well.

Buying a phone that comes with airtime falls under the category of prepaid plans. You pay in advance for the airtime you expect you will need.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-04-2024 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-04-2024, 04:37 PM

So I understand..
when I buy the phone (trac phone), I am also buying the provider..?

I don't need a separate step of obtaining a provider?

thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
In a nutshell...you always need a provider. Tracfone is a type of provider that pays the main providers to use their towers, etc. You can search MVNO for more info. There are many MVNO providers that do the same thing...Tracfone is the largest. They are a subsidiary of Verizon, but they also use AT&T and T-Mobile towers as well.

Buying a phone that comes with airtime falls under the category of prepaid plans. You pay in advance for the airtime you expect you will need.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
So I understand..
when I buy the phone (trac phone), I am also buying the provider..?

I don't need a separate step of obtaining a provider?
If you go to the Tracfone website, https://www.tracfone.com/phone, you choose a phone and then it will tell you to choose a Tracfone plan. Tracfone isn't necessarily unique in that regard. You can go to many providers and do the same thing.

When someone says "My phone is a Tracfone", it is just a play on words. In reality, it is simply a phone (Iphone, Samsung, Motorola, or whatever) that Tracfone (the provider) has configured to work with their service. If someone's provider is AT&T, nobody says "I have an AT&T", because it doesn't sound right.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-04-2024 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-04-2024, 05:53 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Is it true that with Trac-phone one does not need a provider? One just buys the phone and "airtime" and is set to go.
Sounds too good to be true.
But someone told me that, and so I thought I'd check.
Thanks..

ellen
It's true. You just buy airtime. No worries about the provider. Tracfone takes care of that for you by utilizing several different network providers.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's true. You just buy airtime. No worries about the provider. Tracfone takes care of that for you by utilizing several different network providers.
Sort of. Technically, the terms provider and carrier are not interchangeable (I incorrectly did not make that distinction in post #2). Tracfone is an actual provider that uses AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon carriers. If coverage (or lack thereof) is an issue with a certain carrier, it can be an important distinction to be aware of. There are many MVNO's that do this, but most do not partner with all 3 major carriers like Tracfone does.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-04-2024 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-05-2024, 05:09 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
The way I understand it is this:

The "Big 3" Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile own the physical cell towers around the country.

All the other "cell" companies you see (Tracfone, Google Fi, Cricket, etc) buy airtime from the Big 3 at discounted prices and resell it to consumers. These companies are MVNOs.

So you can buy a phone and plan direct from one of the Big 3, or you can buy a phone and plan from an MVNO. In general, the MVNOs will be less expensive and may be more flexible or have more choices in plans.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:34 AM

since i'm here does anyone know of Cricket, i'm told they have offices with real people

Old 03-09-2024, 10:33 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Yes, Cricket has stores w/ real people in them, and you can buy your phone and phone plan right there. I always had good luck w/ their phones and service.

Tracfone has been bought by Verizon, and November of this year is when the deal is finalized. My Tracfone has service until Jan 31 of 2025, but I suspect it will go dead in November. No one is saying exactly what happens, but my guess is that customers will have to go to a Verizon monthly plan at that point or switch carriers.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:31 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Yes, Cricket has stores w/ real people in them, and you can buy your phone and phone plan right there. I always had good luck w/ their phones and service.

Tracfone has been bought by Verizon, and November of this year is when the deal is finalized. My Tracfone has service until Jan 31 of 2025, but I suspect it will go dead in November. No one is saying exactly what happens, but my guess is that customers will have to go to a Verizon monthly plan at that point or switch carriers.

I also have Tracfone service. My understanding is that PAYGO Customers have prepaid for their service and Tracfone/Verizon is bound by law to provide it. They can't just shut it off or force ppl to buy a plan. They could, however, stop selling the PAYGO options, so that as ppl's buckets run out they would have no choices other than to buy a plan or switch to another MVNO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics