Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 06:51 AM

5,545 posts, read 7,138,530 times

Advertisements

So, I was checking out TVs at Costco recently, and the sales rep was all about the OLED models from LG, Sony, and Samsung. They looked stunning, with vibrant colors and sharp images, but they came with a hefty price tag—$1000 more than other models. I'm wondering, are they really worth the extra bucks?

Those vivid images on display were impressive, but I'm curious if regular TV programs will look just as spectacular on them. Do you think the viewing experience will match up?

Also, do you think the prices of these OLED TVs will drop in the future, like most other models tend to? It would be great to know if it's worth waiting for a better deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 07:18 AM

16,576 posts, read 19,780,405 times
The prices have dropped on OLED. And yes, it's worth it. No TV can match the color reproduction of an OLED at OLED prices. It's not the latest thing anymore. But it's still one of the best.
Lesser TVs like QLED or QNED or...Crystal HD or whatever the TV company calls it this week are excellent. Absolutely. But nothing matches OLED for deep blacks and truly vibrant colors.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
We recently replaced our 2014 non-smart 1080p with a $429 (Costco) LG 65" 4k smart TV. Comparing at the store the OLED was better but then it was a special looped program to highlight the resolution, and not worth the additional $1,000 to us.

Once we had it up and running, we found the difference in picture quality from our old TV to be amazing, yet there are still programs on certain channels that do not take advantage of that technology. I'm sure the same goes for OLED, but if you stream a lot of recent/current movies, you will appreciate the difference.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:19 AM

1,118 posts, read 663,873 times
It will only look as spectacular as the source. For example, while a new animated movie will look spectacular...the evening news, not so much. Whether it is worth it is subjective. My guess is the price will drop.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:43 AM

9,339 posts, read 14,961,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
LG 65" 4k smart TV.
Hey, same one we bought this year! Love it- including the fabulous picture quality- except we don't use most of the features. We only watch fewer than 20 channels and don't use the majority of its complicated "smart features".

But then I suppose that's true of so many new electronics- you don't need or use half of what's offered.
Kind of like being forced to continually upgrade your computer OS with a whole lot of stuff you don't want! I wish they'd do a line of "dumb electronics".

Old 05-01-2024, 07:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Hey, same one we bought this year! Love it- including the fabulous picture quality- except we don't use most of the features. We only watch fewer than 20 channels and don't use the majority of its complicated "smart features".

But then I suppose that's true of so many new electronics- you don't need or use half of what's offered.
Kind of like being forced to continually upgrade your computer OS with a whole lot of stuff you don't want! I wish they'd do a line of "dumb electronics".
We don't use all of that stuff either, but some things are great. I work from home 3 days a week, and found it really easy to have my little laptop screen go onto the 65" screen using wifi for meetings where someone is sharing their screen with a spreadsheet or other small details. The size helps too, now I can read the small print from the kitchen with the TV in the family room.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:56 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,897,730 times
They ARE dropping - three years ago, they were twice the price and half the size.

Best TV (picture) you can buy.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:53 AM

5,545 posts, read 7,138,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We recently replaced our 2014 non-smart 1080p with a $429 (Costco) LG 65" 4k smart TV. Comparing at the store the OLED was better but then it was a special looped program to highlight the resolution, and not worth the additional $1,000 to us.

Once we had it up and running, we found the difference in picture quality from our old TV to be amazing, yet there are still programs on certain channels that do not take advantage of that technology. I'm sure the same goes for OLED, but if you stream a lot of recent/current movies, you will appreciate the difference.
I recently bought the same TV, it was the LG 65UR8000, it was being discontinued and I got the floor model for $329.99, it's a decent TV, I just felt like it wasn't as sharp as my 13 year old Samsung. I have 90 days to return it, so I am considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I wish they'd do a line of "dumb electronics".
I said that to the sales guy, "Why can't they come out with a Jitterbug TV for us Boomers"?

Old 05-01-2024, 12:59 PM

16,576 posts, read 19,780,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
They ARE dropping - three years ago, they were twice the price and half the size.

Best TV (picture) you can buy.

Yep. I bought 55 inch OLED from Vizio. Had a lot of problems and OLED are not great it very bright areas when there's a dark scene onscreen. Truly it's only weakness and it was in our exceptionally bright living room. It was less then ideal.

Put them somewhere else and bought an LG QNED. It's one step below the OLED. Picture is fantastic. But it's still not AS GOOD as the Vizio picture wise. Issue wise, it trounces the Vizio. Zero problems with it.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:25 PM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,699,760 times
I recently bought a Samsung 55" OLED (QN55S95CAFXZA) to replace a 10 year old Samsung LED-LCD which worked flawlessly. I specifically wanted a newer model which was slightly bigger, had bluetooth, and access to Samsung Plus. I paid ~$2000.

The picture on the OLED was not significantly better than my old TV, and it was incredibly buggy. I'd be watching something and suddenly app icons would be superimposed over the picture. The bluetooth only worked when it wanted to. It would spontaneously switch to the screensaver on Samsung Plus. And it would turn itself on in the middle of night...the first time I heard voices coming from my living room at 2 am, I thought it was a home invasion and nearly called the police. Etc, etc. The first tech that came to check it out said the problem was that a lot of smart TV's aren't good with internet connections and misinterpreted random signals from their manufacturer. He said to disconnect it from the internet and it should solve the problem. That solved some of the problems but not all. Bluetooth was still unreliable. And bye-bye to Samsung Plus which was one of the reasons I bought it. Besides these complaints, you can't connect it to any other device except by HDMI...no AV ports. And the remote control has about 6-8 unlabeled buttons, each of which controls umpteen menus and submenus and it is not user-friendly. The traditional remote that Samsung advertises will work with this is not actually sold anywhere.

On the third tech visit, I returned the TV and dragged the old one out of the basement, and I am much happier now. A minuscule improvement in picture quality is not worth all the high-tech headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics