Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,969,443 times

Advertisements

When my wonderful spouse gave me my Ipod several years ago, we uploaded all my favorite CDs onto the laptop that I was using at that time (using itunes.) I mean hundreds upon hundreds of songs. I was quite happy with my assortment, but then recently I decided I wanted to add more. I no longer use that laptop (for unknown reasons, it won't hook up to the wireless system in our house and it's horribly slow.) I still own the laptop, though.

Recently I went onto itunes using my newer laptop and plugged in my ipod hoping to upload songs from itune and increase my listening library. After choosing all my songs, I got this message that said if I went ahead and uploaded those songs, I would wipe out my entire previous library since I wasn't hooked up to the laptop that has the original library. Instead of me having an account that can move from computer to computer, it seems that my library is housed in that laptop that I can no longer use to upload songs since I can't go online with it.

So, my question is this (other than how stupid could I be for not already knowing the answer to this question): how can I use my new laptop to upload songs to my ipod without expunging my entire existing song library that's already in my ipod? I KNOW here has to be a simple answer and I'm hoping somebody more tech-savvy than me knows it! Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM

6,558 posts, read 11,188,339 times
One of the biggest complaints with ipods.... by default it won't allow you to "share" ipods between multiple computers (kinda leads to potential copyright issues).

However, there are tools out there that will allow you to share content between different computers.

check it here....

Feature: The 20 Best iPod Utilities

Or you can google for your own.....

As always, use these a your own risk.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,216,538 times
If you still have your old computer, you need to transfer all the music files from your old computer to your new computer.

My suggestion: keep all of your music files in an external harddrive. That way you can transfer your music files from computer to computer.

Someone has asked this question before and I don't think anybody came up with an answer for it. I think the really good techie guys know of a way to read the iPod as just an external harddrive so you can extract the files but that is too advanced for me.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,699,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
When my wonderful spouse gave me my Ipod several years ago, we uploaded all my favorite CDs onto the laptop that I was using at that time (using itunes.) I mean hundreds upon hundreds of songs. I was quite happy with my assortment, but then recently I decided I wanted to add more. I no longer use that laptop (for unknown reasons, it won't hook up to the wireless system in our house and it's horribly slow.) I still own the laptop, though.

Recently I went onto itunes using my newer laptop and plugged in my ipod hoping to upload songs from itune and increase my listening library. After choosing all my songs, I got this message that said if I went ahead and uploaded those songs, I would wipe out my entire previous library since I wasn't hooked up to the laptop that has the original library. Instead of me having an account that can move from computer to computer, it seems that my library is housed in that laptop that I can no longer use to upload songs since I can't go online with it.

So, my question is this (other than how stupid could I be for not already knowing the answer to this question): how can I use my new laptop to upload songs to my ipod without expunging my entire existing song library that's already in my ipod? I KNOW here has to be a simple answer and I'm hoping somebody more tech-savvy than me knows it! Thanks so much!!!
First get a external hard drive. Any brand will do. I have 2 Western digital Passports and one Simple tech USB powered HD.:

Amazon.com: Western Digital My Passport Essential 320GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive (Midnight Black): Electronics

Steps:
Go to the My Music directory on the old laptop and then the Itunes directory.
Click on Itunes music. Your folders are there.
Some folders of music will also be in the Compilations directory.
Right click select all or just drag the Itunes directory to the hard drive. You have just 'backed up your music'.
Eject the hard drive from the old laptop, and hook it up to the new laptop.

You can either drag the Itunes directory to your desktop or your music directory. You can even launch Itunes and drag the directory from the hard drive into the music directory of itunes.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,969,443 times
Thanks for all the ideas!! Hubby does have an external hard drive, so this weekend we'll try moving all the music over to my new laptop. Why I didn't think about that, I have no clue. I'm glad there are people here to help!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:56 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,489,320 times
Get Anapod. It costs money, but is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics