Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,187 times

Advertisements

I have a Sony Wega KV-32HS510 TV. We've never had any problem with it. Last night when I got home, it would not turn on and the standby light was blinking repeatedly in a 4-blink pattern.

I went online and looked up what the problem was and found that the 4 blinks means the following: Vertical deflection stopped. Possible causes: +- 15V is not supplied. (D board), IC8003 is faulty. (A board) Symptoms of the problem: TV has entered standby state after horizontal raster, Vertical deflection pulse is stopped, Power line is shorted or power supply is stopped.

Okey dokey. Obviously not something that I can fix (or even know the meaning of), so we gave up and went to bed. This morning, I was able to turn the TV on like nothing had happened.

I decided to test it, so I turned it off for about a half an hour. When I went to turn it back on, I now get 7 blinks to the pattern. According to research, this means: Horizontal deflection stopped. Possible cause: Q8035, 8038 is shorted. (D board)

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows:
1. What does this mean?? Please, simple layman's terms.
2. Is this something worth fixing? Or should we cut our losses and buy a new one? The TV's about 6 years old, and weighs about 170 lbs... I think we got the heaviest possible tube TV.
3. If we do decide to get rid of it, do you think it would be worth anything to anyone else - like someone who tinkers w/electronics?

Any help at all would be wonderful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
In my limited experience, fixes to replace boards on my Sony TVs usually run $100-200 for the parts and labor. Is it worth that much to you to get a few more years out of this TV?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
In my limited experience, fixes to replace boards on my Sony TVs usually run $100-200 for the parts and labor. Is it worth that much to you to get a few more years out of this TV?
That's the million $ question. When I was researching this online last night, I ended up on a really techy message board. Apparently, the board that I need would run $250 w/o labor. These people were all fixing the stuff themselves - which I am not going to attempt. There were a few that were having the same issue as I am, and they replaced the board only to have more problems. I've always been partial to Sony TV's... I have a 20" in the bedroom that's got to be pushing 15+ years old. Maybe they don't make them like they used to...

Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
That's the million $ question. When I was researching this online last night, I ended up on a really techy message board. Apparently, the board that I need would run $250 w/o labor. These people were all fixing the stuff themselves - which I am not going to attempt. There were a few that were having the same issue as I am, and they replaced the board only to have more problems. I've always been partial to Sony TV's... I have a 20" in the bedroom that's got to be pushing 15+ years old. Maybe they don't make them like they used to...
About 3 years ago, I had the PIP board bypassed, rather than replaced on a 1995-vintage Sony TV. The TV's still humming along fine, but without that board, the PIP feature no longer works. No great loss there, and I haven't regretted paying for the fix.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 139,284 times
how about the board has anyone figured out how to reset the system i have had this prob can anyone help
dave

Last edited by Dswinman1; 10-25-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: update

Old 10-25-2008, 07:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
We had a similar problem with out Mitsubishi and it was a programming circuit problem. Luckily we had purchased the warranty, which we usually do not, and it was covered. It took about 5 minutes to fix.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 122,981 times
Sony wega tv standby light blinks 7 times

Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I have a Sony Wega KV-32HS510 TV. We've never had any problem with it. Last night when I got home, it would not turn on and the standby light was blinking repeatedly in a 4-blink pattern.
(snip)
So, I'm wondering if anyone knows:
1. What does this mean?? Please, simple layman's terms.
2. Is this something worth fixing? Or should we cut our losses and buy a new one? The TV's about 6 years old, and weighs about 170 lbs... I think we got the heaviest possible tube TV.
3. If we do decide to get rid of it, do you think it would be worth anything to anyone else - like someone who tinkers w/electronics?

Any help at all would be wonderful!!!
I just gave away a 32" Sony Wega TV due to it being all dark for the picture until I turned it on/off once. Set was fine but since the set is now 5+ years old it's time to move on to a HDTV flat screen. I'm sure that once failures start on the older Analog CRT sets (Wega et.al.) it's not a good idea to even try to repair them.

What is largely unknown to the general public is that Cable/Sat carriers are only required , by law, to down convert the digital TV signal to Analog until Jan. 2012 at which time then can stop if they want to to allow time for most of the public to switch to HDTV's (they didn't count on the recession) .

So my suggestion is to buy a HDTV now instead of putting another dime into that trusty Sony analog set. I will also suggest that you buy a simple HDTV this time since the HDTV market is still way, way to much in flux today.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 122,088 times
I have a sony Trinitron I had problems with it before it got even worse,I had to turn it on twice in order to keep it on and then the screen was keep getting dark many times before it gets stable I asked for help from online chat Sony they told me to reset the TV .Now it takes me 45 to an hour to sit down and keep push the power botten to have the tv on.Does it worth to have it repaired.The TV is about 7 years old.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnn View Post
I have a sony Trinitron I had problems with it before it got even worse,I had to turn it on twice in order to keep it on and then the screen was keep getting dark many times before it gets stable I asked for help from online chat Sony they told me to reset the TV .Now it takes me 45 to an hour to sit down and keep push the power botten to have the tv on.Does it worth to have it repaired.The TV is about 7 years old.

NO! Move on to a flat screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics