Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:14 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,735,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Huh, your right... at Wal-Mart and Best Buy, the cheapest ones were like $40+. I have found them online as cheap as $6.00!

Do you think these really cheap ones are just as well? Anything would have to be better than what I am using now.

Thanks again.
The cheap ones will be fine. Don't buy HDMI cables from Walmart, Best Buy, Target, or Circuit City. You will pay too much. The only B&M store I would recommend for HDMI cable is Fry's Electronics and only when they have a sale. As for online retailers, I have bought from monoprice.com many times and highly recommend them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,571,455 times
I ordered my 6ft HDMI cables online. Here's a link.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,164,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I ordered my 6ft HDMI cables online. Here's a link.
Thats cheap! The port from my HD cable box looks bigger though than the ones on this cable. The ends look like the one into the TV set, but not the box. Do I need a different cable?

I was looking at this one just now... my box has the one bigger end like this one....
1.8M 6ft HDMI HD Cable for Sony Playstation 3 PS3 -006 - eBay (item 260291819484 end time Nov-23-08 13:26:47 PST)

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 11-04-2008 at 10:54 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 05:38 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,571,455 times
I'm sorry I don't know for sure. I only know of one "type" of HDMI cable as far as the connectors are concerned. Perhaps someone else here could answer your question.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,657,621 times
Quote:
Thats cheap! The port from my HD cable box looks bigger though than the ones on this cable. The ends look like the one into the TV set, but not the box. Do I need a different cable?
Unlike the other cables, this one slides inside... so no, only one type to deal with

I buy all mine here Welcome to iTrimming -- High Quality Electronic Accessories @ Unbeatable Prices!!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for that link! I ordered those! I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Default Disappointed.....

Well, the cables arrived today and I hooked it up a little while ago. Unfortunately, I am displeased, as I see absolutely no improvement in picture quality, even on the HD stations I am subscribed to.

So - I either have it hooked up wrong, this digital HD box from the cable company is crap, or my $2500 Sharp Aquos is crap.

Now I just noticed that there are several "HDMI" ports in the back of my TV... how am I to know which one to plug this into?

Also, the HD cable box itself does not have a port for this cable, but my Samsung DVD player does (which is where I have this plugged into). Is this right? Im confused.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Also, the HD cable box itself does not have a port for this cable, but my Samsung DVD player does (which is where I have this plugged into). Is this right? Im confused.

I guess not... I just looked and the cable goes from the HD cable box to the TV and not to the DVD player. So obviously this HD cable box that the cable company provided is not going to work.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I guess not... I just looked and the cable goes from the HD cable box to the TV and not to the DVD player. So obviously this HD cable box that the cable company provided is not going to work.

Update - I just checked and I do have three small cables from the HD box to the DVD player. There are so many wires, I have confused myself.

OK, on the back of the set, there are HDMI 5 and HDMI 6 ports. I plugged it into the HDMI 5 and changed the TV input to this port and the TV quality seems the same to me and it changed the "view mode". Now I only have stretch, dot by dot, s. stretch and zoom.

The picture quality is much better than regular TV, but I am just not getting that really crisp picture I have seen on TVs displayed in stores and on my friends/family HDTV when on HD stations. I am saddened.

Could it bew this is just a cheap/poor HD cable box that our cable company provides?
Its a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD box.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 11-18-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,716,316 times
Quote:
Update - I just checked and I do have three small cables from the HD box to the DVD player. There are so many wires, I have confused myself.

OK, on the back of the set, there are HDMI 5 and HDMI 6 ports. I plugged it into the HDMI 5 and changed the TV input to this port and the TV quality seems the same to me and it changed the "view mode". Now I only have stretch, dot by dot, s. stretch and zoom.

The picture quality is much better than regular TV, but I am just not getting that really crisp picture I have seen on TVs displayed in stores and on my friends/family HDTV when on HD stations. I am saddened.

Could it bew this is just a cheap/poor HD cable box that our cable company provides?
Its a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD box.
The televisions at the stores are set on "Torch Mode" which is pretty much cranked up in contrast, brightness, etc.

I only ask if you can disconnect the original cables that you had (prior to getting the new ones) and make sure that the input to your television is really coming from the HDMI signal. Check your manual but it should have inputs showing HDMI 1, 2, 3, etc. So look in the back of the set and look and see which HDMI input is connected. The quality of the HD signal should be as good as the store.

You could calibrate your television or check with people who have your television set:

AVS Forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=733575

If the folks at the link above cannot help you, then no one can.

The Acquos is a nice set and I almost bought a 52" LCD 120 Hz but I was not happy with the 4 msec refresh rate. I got a Plasma, instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics