U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Market too slow on making tv shows, movies, available on demand, internet, HD, digital based, low broadband penetration, licensing issues, business model for on demand

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM

665 posts, read 2,835,344 times

Advertisements

They idea of putting movies and TV shows on internet has been around for a long time now. However, there just seem to be so slow progress. We should have already had all of this available in on-demand and through internet by now!!!

The idea of what I am talking about is very simple.

-You can watch any TV Shows as soon at it "airs" on-demand on your TV or internet. Of course you can want it whenever you want after it airs also. Should be in full HD!!! (yes you get pay a fee)

-You should be able to watch any and ALL *new* movies (independent, foreign, Anime, or whatever) anytime "On-demand" on your TV or again on the Internet. Of course again in full HD!!! For old movies, the companies though try to put them into digital format ASAP. So that you can also watch on-demand. Should take too long to rip all DVD and videos into digital format. (again this could/will be fee based)

-You should be able to "buy" and download movies/TV shows (with no restrictions!). Basically should be able to convert movies to portable video player format, to MKV/OGM. Of course you should be able to copy and backup your downloaded movies/TV shows. This get rid of hard copy dvd/blu-ray.

-Of course still allow "live TV" feeds for news (again should be in full HD). Now this I think should be free, especially for local channels like ABC/NBC/CBS.

The idea is pretty simple especially for new shows and movie. Just record them in digital HD quality and then turn around and distribute in a full digital format. For old stuff, it just takes some ripping/conversion.

I currently don't have TV right now, the main reason so much of carp that I don't want. Of course shows that I "might" watch comes on times I am not around, so I need "rent" a DVR. Much rather pay for ONLY what I watch and just get it on-demand.

Another thing is getting rid of all physical video/DVD/Blu-ray by buying downloadable (restriction FREE) stuff. It takes too long to find and load one up. Much better to store in Media Server and start paying when you want to.

Netflix has on-demand service of a very few movies. And not all of the are in HD. It is only a small step in right direction. They need to hurry and get EVERYTHING on there in an on-demand format (in HD again!).

I don't think I am asking for too much at all. Being computer techy, it can be done easily from a technical perspective. Especially if you get rid of all stupid content-protection crap. I bet one of reason people piracy stuff is because you can't get it on-demand HD like this. If they had this service I bet piracy would go down since they get all TV shows/Movies in world in HD whenever they want!!!

I bet one of reasons this may be done is because it will give the great companies less money if people can pick and choose like this. In fact, I believe this might be MAIN reason for such slow slow progress. I though this would be done like 5 years go but still nowhere close.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM

588 posts, read 2,662,707 times
I think one of the biggest barriers to streaming all TV shows/movies, etc. is that until recently, there has simply not been enough penetration of broadband connections. Networks & content providers want to reach the widest audience possible, and the TV set has been the best way to do that. Now, among active internet users, 90% now have broadband connections . But only about 55% (http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/305/press_release.asp - broken link) of all U.S. adults have broadband.

Also, until recently, the content providers had not decided on a good business model for streaming shows & movies. They have to make money from this somehow. Networks seem to be zeroing in on embedded ads in the stream, and consequently, we ARE seeing more and more TV shows available online for viewing.

As for movies, I'm not sure. I suspect their are lots of licensing and other legal matters that are bogging down the process.

Regarding, HD, you need VERY high bandwidth for real time streaming. Only the highest tier of broadband systems (i.e. Verizon FIOS at >20Mbit/sec) can handle this. So only a very small segment of internet users would benefit from this now.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:21 AM

712 posts, read 2,016,112 times
Depending on what you know.. most of this is already available.. it's not in real time like you might like but some of the releases are before it comes out too.. but things like this are pushing the RIAA the MPAA and other groups/companies to get things moving in a forward direction..

It isn't to say however that they are still somewhat moving in a backwards direction.. the push's the one's that work seem to get them moving more than anything.. in 2000 or so that push was napster.. today I would call one of the biggest pushers.. Apple's Itunes and Netflix.. and maybe next week it will be something else..

Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 AM

41,823 posts, read 45,117,875 times
The reason is quite simple, the busines practices of the large media corportions in the past is has been to sell you the same content over and over. e.g vinyl record >> 8-track >> cassette >> CD >> downloads.

Where they run into the issue is the advent of the digital age and digital files, once you have a digital file it's permanent unless it gets corrupted, deleted or somehow lost. Unlike a VHS tape tape or any other storage medium that can degrade over time these digital files will play ecatly the same the millionth time you play it as it did the first time you played it, therefore their business model is now broken. Enter DRM.....

These corporations will tell you DRM is to protect the content from piracy but the real reason IMO is to give the file "shelf life" so they can continue with business practice of selling the content over and over. The trouble with DRM is that up until this point it has pretty much been useless as no major protection has stood the test of time against the relentless onslught of people trying to break it. This is up to and including the latest "unbreakable" protection scheme on Blu-Ray which was broke a mere 6 months after it arrived on the market.

Since they cannot protect their content instead of changing their business practice they simply have decided to stick their heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist. The movie industry is right now going down the same road the recording industry took when MP3 hit the internet. the end result is people that can not buy content legitiamly seek it elsewhere and they do not get a penny....

Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
I think one of the biggest barriers to streaming all TV shows/movies, etc. is that until recently, there has simply not been enough penetration of broadband connections. Networks & content providers want to reach the widest audience possible, and the TV set has been the best way to do that. Now, among active internet users, 90% now have broadband connections . But only about 55% (http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/305/press_release.asp - broken link) of all U.S. adults have broadband.

Also, until recently, the content providers had not decided on a good business model for streaming shows & movies. They have to make money from this somehow. Networks seem to be zeroing in on embedded ads in the stream, and consequently, we ARE seeing more and more TV shows available online for viewing.

As for movies, I'm not sure. I suspect their are lots of licensing and other legal matters that are bogging down the process.

Regarding, HD, you need VERY high bandwidth for real time streaming. Only the highest tier of broadband systems (i.e. Verizon FIOS at >20Mbit/sec) can handle this. So only a very small segment of internet users would benefit from this now.
This DOES NOT have to be IPTV or internet based. I am sure they can figure out how to it like pay-per-view with current cable/dish connection. Only difference is everything can be on-demand and in HD. Note big problem with internet streaming quality. Some of if not most is worse then regular TV!

You can watch HD on TV right now (cable or satellite or fiber). So they must have bandwidth if they have HD channels right now!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The reason is quite simple, the busines practices of the large media corportions in the past is has been to sell you the same content over and over. e.g vinyl record >> 8-track >> cassette >> CD >> downloads.

Where they run into the issue is the advent of the digital age and digital files, once you have a digital file it's permanent unless it gets corrupted, deleted or somehow lost. Unlike a VHS tape tape or any other storage medium that can degrade over time these digital files will play ecatly the same the millionth time you play it as it did the first time you played it, therefore their business model is now broken. Enter DRM.....

These corporations will tell you DRM is to protect the content from piracy but the real reason IMO is to give the file "shelf life" so they can continue with business practice of selling the content over and over. The trouble with DRM is that up until this point it has pretty much been useless as no major protection has stood the test of time against the relentless onslught of people trying to break it. This is up to and including the latest "unbreakable" protection scheme on Blu-Ray which was broke a mere 6 months after it arrived on the market.

Since they cannot protect their content instead of changing their business practice they simply have decided to stick their heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist. The movie industry is right now going down the same road the recording industry took when MP3 hit the internet. the end result is people that can not buy content legitiamly seek it elsewhere and they do not get a penny....
This doesn't make them right just because they have legal power (copyright) over it! Like I said it probably drive down piracy if this WAS available right now. This guys dragging their foot is making matters worse. This is DIGITAL AGE they need to embrace since to thinking of keep on making tons of $$$ and duping customers!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

I just had to mention, DVD, Cd, blu-ray or any other optical disc, last LONGER than Hard Drives. Hard drives may fail easily, sometimes just in 1 year but usually 5 years or 10 years. A optical disc will probably last more than a decade! So, I really don't think they are trying to make you buy again when using optical disc.

Note I did ask for non-copy protected downloads so you can back it up. The hard drive will die sometime and downloads should be backed up so you don't lose it!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 AM

588 posts, read 2,662,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
This DOES NOT have to be IPTV or internet based. I am sure they can figure out how to it like pay-per-view with current cable/dish connection. Only difference is everything can be on-demand and in HD. Note big problem with internet streaming quality. Some of if not most is worse then regular TV!

You can watch HD on TV right now (cable or satellite or fiber). So they must have bandwidth if they have HD channels right now!
You are correct. My statements were regarding lack of on-demand access via the internet. The infrastructure / technology is in place for on-demand viewing of TV shows and movies in HD over cable/satellite, and many are available already. Why are all movies & TV shows not available? Two simple reasons, either:
Lack of sufficient demand or licensing issues.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,375,391 times
Are there protection issues re bootleggers?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 PM

41,823 posts, read 45,117,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Are there protection issues re bootleggers?
??? You can make a copy of anything if you search enough no matter how its protected. What's even worse is the programs to break the protection are often distributed free of charge. File sharing for movies is quite common and the lack of many titles actually drives it extensively. For example unbeknowst to many people DVD's are region coded. If you move to Europe they will no longer play becsue the DVD player is the wrong region. They stagger releases but the end result is people sharing them over the net. Why wait for months when you can just go download it for free?

Piracy as a criminal enterprise is quite extensive itself, most of it is carried out in asian countries with lax enforcement like China... These types of DVD's can be identical and just as good as the real ones. They are pressed not burned and come with regular shrink wrapped jewel cases with professioanlly printed jacket covers. I heard of one case where the pirate fixed an issue with a release so in that instance the pirated copy was better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics