Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I hope they eliminate TV or just leave news, Discovery and History channels.
But I need: whatever station is showing football (GO STEELERS) - Chiller and Sci Fi ! (oh, and weather channel occasionally)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 07:52 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I am assuming a digital signal is more efficient to transmit and would cut costs as well as to enable more bandwidths? I'm just rambling since I don't know better.
The main reason for the transition to all digital is to free up some radio spectrum that the FCC can auction off to various companies that want to expand their wireless services. The spectrum is freed up because digital TV stations can use adjacent channel assignments in the same market, whereas analog stations needed a channel or two of RF "buffer" to avoid interference. Thus, the overall need for channels is reduced.

Given that several SD digital TV programs can be transmitted in the same 6MHz channel block used to transmit a single analog program, the switch to digital is indeed more efficient.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
The main reason for the transition to all digital is to free up some radio spectrum that the FCC can auction off to various companies that want to expand their wireless services. The spectrum is freed up because digital TV stations can use adjacent channel assignments in the same market, whereas analog stations needed a channel or two of RF "buffer" to avoid interference. Thus, the overall need for channels is reduced.

Given that several SD digital TV programs can be transmitted in the same 6MHz channel block used to transmit a single analog program, the switch to digital is indeed more efficient.
And, lets not forget that digital radio is supposed to be by 2020, which in fact gives us a lot of time to get ready. In fact, today one can have a buy digital-ready and XM radios if one wants to. While one would have to pay for XM service, that's not the case for the free digital over-the-air radio signals.

One thing for certain is that the free digital TV signal I am now receiving is a clear as glass on my LCD screen. We don't watch TV very much, so we don't have cable. But we do watch a few shows avery now and then, like "24" on Fox tonight

Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
TV is a privilege, not a right. There should be no delay in the switch; they've already spent enough money and advertising time telling everyone that the switch is feb 17, 2009.

If you don't have a coupon and can't afford a box, then you'll just have to work harder to make more money or take something out of your budget elsewhere to purchase a box.

I'm not going to feel sorry for anyone that doesn't have the means to watch TV. Go to the library.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
And, lets not forget that digital radio is supposed to be by 2020, which in fact gives us a lot of time to get ready.
While I'm sure some in the radio industry have discussed cutting over to digital at some point, there is no conversion date set for digital radio, and I'd be surprised if there was one this century.

The benefits of digital radio are very slight compared to the benefits of digital TV, and perhaps more importantly, a shift to digital radio wouldn't result in any leftover spectrum to sell.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I am assuming a digital signal is more efficient to transmit and would cut costs as well as to enable more bandwidths? I'm just rambling since I don't know better.
While juggler pointed out the real reasons for wanting to convert to digital, added efficiency is indeed a side benefit.

With the switch to digital, TV stations will need less power to cover the area they covered with their analog signals. It will save them money on their power bill.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No they need to go ahead with Erhart they have been planning for years now. Government isn't going to get it anymore right a second time. Waiting on congress is like waiting on the turtle.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think it should be delayed for up to a year. Many people are not ready, there are not enough coupons for converters and the economy is on the toilet so the last thing people need to be doing is buying DTV sets made in China. What do you think?

The transition team for President-elect Barack Obama wants Congress to push back a planned changeover to digital television. The delay, Obama's team argues, would give consumers more time to get ready for the switch, now scheduled for Feb. 17.

The Real Cost of Delaying Digital TV - BusinessWeek
It has been on schedule and the show must go on. By running dual broadcasts, we will be paying more, indirectly, since advertising costs will be increased - and the savings will be passed onto the consumers.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:22 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
While I'm sure some in the radio industry have discussed cutting over to digital at some point, there is no conversion date set for digital radio, and I'd be surprised if there was one this century.

The benefits of digital radio are very slight compared to the benefits of digital TV, and perhaps more importantly, a shift to digital radio wouldn't result in any leftover spectrum to sell.
I read somewhere at a government web site that digital radio is scheduled for the year 2020, but that thy are not making it mandatory. Also, there are a lot of digital radios on the market already, some for automobiles, and others for the home. In fact, just about any new automobile receiver being sold today has a digital radio plug. Some come digital ready, while with most it's an optional electronic box one connects to the radio. Alpine digital radio (optional) costs from $100.00 to $200.00, but most cost $100.
http://www.rtoonline.com/Content/Art...ules032307.asp
Quote:
In October 2002, the FCC selected IBOC as the technology enabling AM and FM radio broadcast stations to begin digital operations. IBOC is a method of transmitting near-CD quality audio signals to radio receivers along with new data services such as station, song and artist identification, stock and news information, as well as local traffic and weather bulletins. With IBOC, a radio station is also capable of splitting its digital channel so that it may broadcast multiple streams of digital audio programming. Importantly, IBOC allows broadcasters to use their current radio spectrum to transmit AM and FM analog signals simultaneously with new digital signals.

Since the Commission first authorized Digital Audio Broadcasting (“DAB”) on an interim basis, over 1200 stations have notified the Commission that they have commenced or intend to commence hybrid digital broadcasting. Radio stations broadcasting in a digital format using in-band on-channel (“IBOC”) technology are able to offer listeners enhanced sound quality, improved reception, as well as new multicasting and datacasting services.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM

Problem is, no one's buying those digital radios. HD radio is dead in the water. People (myself included) would rather listen to iPods or satellite. Like I said, I'd be surprised if there's a cutoff date for analog radio anytime this century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics