Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 54,487 times

Advertisements

AHHA!

I finally found a decent answer to why my MagicJack won't work with my alarm system: http://ooma.nextalarm.com/pages/frontpage (broken link)

I think I also found a possible solution to the MagicJack / Alarm problem (or at least one I'm willing to try out). NextAlarm.com offers a broadband adapter (both wired and wireless router compatible) for around $99 and with a $8 monthly charge, they will relay your alarm signals to your current alarm company. Or, you can also choose to have them do the monitoring. http://ooma.nextalarm.com/products/b...-alarm-adapter

Before you invest, check to make sure your alarm system is compatible: https://nextalarm.com/help/Wiki.jsp?...NCompatibility

I'm not happy that I have to shell out another $99 and pay another monthly fee, but it would still beat what I was paying to my former phone company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Why would you think that? Cable TV is not carried along the electrical lines, unless a pole goes down there's no reason you won't still have a cable signal in a power outage.
Agree, I have a server and all my network equipment on one of my UPS systems. The server shuts down after the power has been off for 3 minutes (a clue it will be out for a while ) but the cable modem and router continue to be powered by the UPS for about 6 - 7 hours, during which time we have internet access through the laptops and netbooks.

But not always the case, as large area power outages have apparently effected some of the cable companies equipment.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,730 times
Default Switch alarm company

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkjim View Post
Like jue, I found out that ADT and MagicJack don't work. ADT says that MagicJack needs to update its software, MagicJack says it's ADT's problem. Plus, ADT (as far as the rep told me) only connects via a POTS (plain old telephone service) line or via a very expensive cellular service. They don't offer any type of internet monitoring.

Either way, I'm not happy as the ONLY reason I even have a phone line is for the alarm system, and I was tired of shelling out $50 a month to Time Warner Cable for phone service.

I looked up on netTALK's forum (they're a competitor to MagicJack) and they don't recommend using theirs with an alarm system.

Maybe I need to look for a new alarm company...
I switched from ADT over a decade ago. Their customer service was almost as bad as Magic Jack's. The only reason I had a landline was for a home alarm and my wife works from home and needs to make a lot of phone calls sometimes. Now with MJ I really don't need a landline because my alarm company (ADS) offers a wireless monitoring system for $10/month so if my alarm goes off then the alarm company is contacted via a cellular network. So instead of paying $40/month for a phone system I'm now paying less than $12 for MJ and a wireless monitoring service saving me over $300 each year.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
Will MagicJack work with ADT burglar alarm?

Already have Charter cable telephone and no problem with the ADT.

So can I just get a MagicJack and connect to the nearest phone jack with and have everything work as is?

Thanks in advance.
It will work, till the box stops, or the computer it's connected to stops, or you have a power flicker, or an internet problem, or your cable modem needs to be reset, etc etc etc.

As a personal observation, I wouldn't do it, if the idea for the ADT is to protect you or your family.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM

153 posts, read 317,822 times
I use Broadvoice. It works just fine for my ADT system. Magicjack is a very low-quality VOIP, and it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work. I read their reviews and it seems that other people are having the same issue.

Amazon.com: 1gringofromLA's review of magicJack: PC to Phone Jack

Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,680 times
Just ran into this issue today, adt can give you an alarm system with magic jack but it's a cellular one, it costs $49 a month. Your alarm will work through the cellular system instead of through your phone lines. We are in the middle of trying to disconnect from com cast as much as possible, so we went with magic jack for phone and our present alarm company nor adt would work through the magic jack. So we opted for the adt cellular.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
My alarm system is completely wireless including the connection to the monitoring service. My monthly fee includes this. As long as the alarm system has power (from battery or utility) it will communicate to the central station. Most modern systems are moving in this direction. I have Frontpoint security but Simplisafe is another one that works the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics