U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,080 posts, read 34,826,933 times

Advertisements

I would have guessed Blu-Ray adoption would be higher. I have stayed on the sidelines of the BluRay revolution because I have no interest in paying twice as much for movie discs or 4 times as much for the player to play them.

Why Doesn't Anyone Want a Blu-ray Player? - PC World

Quote:
Blu-ray (http://www.pcworld.com/search?qt=blu-ray - broken link) may have won the war against HD-DVD (http://www.pcworld.com/search?qt=HD-DVD - broken link), but American consumers aren't exactly warming to the high-definition disc format.

<snip>

Only 7 percent of survey respondents who don't own a Blu-ray player say they're likely to buy a Blu-ray unit within the next year, down from 9 percent in May 2008.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM

11,333 posts, read 23,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I would have guessed Blu-Ray adoption would be higher. I have stayed on the sidelines of the BluRay revolution because I have no interest in paying twice as much for movie discs or 4 times as much for the player to play them.

We don't bother with Blu-Ray players or DVDs because our relatively new 37" flatscreen simply doesn't have the resolution to make such DVDs worthwhile, and frankly we can't afford a larger TV.

Besides, it's not like standard DVDs produce a bad picture with HDMI or component cables at 1080i.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:16 AM

3,775 posts, read 6,328,298 times
I don't even like movies, let alone really expensive ones. I have a Netflix subscription but mostly I just rent TV Shows on DVD.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:28 AM

15,397 posts, read 20,471,133 times
Our television and DVD player are both capable of upconverting to near HD quality; so why spend a small fortune to replace regular DVDs and buy a more expensive Blue-Ray player also. The somewhat better picture quality cannot justify the total cost of the player and new DVDs.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,682,059 times
Quote:

The big reason is cost and plus you can find much more movies on DVD rather than Blu-Ray.
I hope they end up scrapping the whole Blu-Ray or keep making DVDs.

I still have my same tv my mom bought me when I was 8....and it has a VCR on it. I won't buy another one until it just stops coming on.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 AM

11,333 posts, read 23,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I still have my same tv my mom bought me when I was 8....and it has a VCR on it. I won't buy another one until it just stops coming on.
We didn't get a flat screen until my dual-tuner 27" TV died last year.

I loved that TV ... I'd had it for years ... but we'd had it repaired several times, and we finally decided that this was a chance to upgrade.

I love my Vizio VX37L!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:53 AM

277 posts, read 583,730 times
Quote:

I am seeing better prices on Blu-ray discs lately, I bought a few for $9.99 at Best Buy last time I was there. The leftover HD-DVDs are going at bargin prices online, I bought a bunch at prices as low as $3.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM

8,321 posts, read 14,077,383 times
Well, I can say for sure that I love my Blu-Ray player. Then again, it's not just a Blu-Ray player. The joys of the PS3. I will say, that I would not pay such high prices for *just* a blu-ray player. ((Meaning, I only have blu-ray capabilities because it's a part of the PS3))

That being said.... Some movies are absolutely amazing in Blu-Ray versus their upconverted DVD versions. If the movie was made for high-definition, then there is considerable difference between the DVD and Blu-Ray versions. I was absolutely thrilled when Netflix started carrying Blu-Ray. Gonna watch My Bloody Valentine (on Blu-Ray) tonight.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM

969 posts, read 2,625,901 times
As someone who was roped into the Beta - VHS wars (chose wrong) - the albums to 8 track to cassette to DVD progression - and so on...I have come to the conclusion that there is a room full of technicians in an Asian boardroom who laugh and laugh every time a NEW technology is introduced - rendering the previous incantation passe and now replaceable.

As the old rock and roll song said - we won't get fooled again.

I'll wait for the next great "improvement" (or the one after that)

Old 06-19-2009, 11:21 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,970,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Our television and DVD player are both capable of upconverting to near HD quality.
They look good but they are no where "near HD". 1080P has a pixel count of 2,073,600. DVD is only 345,600. Having said that you need a player, display and most importantly source for it to play that high.

Upscaling DVD players do a good job but they don't add detail, what they do is not muck up what is present. They search for contrasting lines to keep them sharp during the upscale process. Similar to what Genuine Fractals does for images. Pretty good example here:

Super-sizing Made Simple (But Not Simple-Minded) by Mark Lapin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics