Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 AM

607 posts, read 2,364,196 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good quality and value for the new "Great Room"? Why LCD or Plasma? I bought a 32" samsung LCD last year and seem pleased with the set. Medium to large amount of light will be in this room. We use the set only for TV and videos. Closest store would be Sears, Walmart, Costco. What brands would you consider and what would you definitely stay away from? If anyone knows if a specific model will be on "Black Friday" lists let me know.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,418,408 times
It's been awhile since I've done my research (we bought about a year ago) so things might have changed a bit.....I thought for very bright rooms, LCD was preferable to plasma due to the refelectivity of the screen etc.? Within LCDs you want to look at the type of screen also. Samsung screens tend to be very shiney (except for one kind of "off" model the "630" which is actually what we have and love it - but it's still in a room that the blinds are always closed anyway). We have a friend with a very bright family/great room who swears by his Sony......

Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 PM

39,036 posts, read 51,123,717 times
The size you are thinking of may be a little small for a "greatroom". 50" would be a minimum for most I have seen. As for plasma vs lcd, the main thing I would consider is how people would be seated relative to the tv. LCD's just don't offer the viewing angles of plasma. Plasma is like the old CRT in that it looks fine from just about any angle where with even today's LCD's you get a color shift and shadowing if you get much off center. Plasma has a "film" quality picture that is superior to LCD and prices on plasma are now lower than LCDs. Plasma uses a fair amount more energy than an LCD does. LCDs look very "bright" - good for a well lit room while plasmas have ultra good contrast.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,418,408 times
I am viewing my LCD TV from an angle right now with no problem. That problem is not really an issue anymore. Kind of like burnout on older plasma TVs.....Also - the "brightness" can be adjusted..

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,361,143 times
I would consider 50"+ for a large family room. A 42" tv looks tiny next to a 54" even though it's only 1 foot more. The real issue is what do you want to spend. You can search on various Black Friday websites and find the pricing details. The main difference on plasma and LCD is that plasma generates a picture similar to CRT displays, but uses plasma gas (instead of the heavy electron gun) which allows the TV to be thinner. LCD does not work this way, and generally only the higher end models have a comparable picture (since black levels on plasma are more similar to CRT). It also means plasma runs a little hotter and most models have cooling fans. However, you will get better deals on plasma than upper end LCD's.

Sears will probably be the best bet, since Best Buy will be mobbed, and Costco doesn't really give deals for Black Friday (at least nothing that great).

Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,836,440 times
Good Evening,

I'm as confused as the day is long about LCD TV's although I feel very good about purchasing a Samsung , more than likely a 46"

Can anyone tell me the difference in a 60Hz and a 120Hz?

Thank you

Old 11-27-2009, 11:30 AM

24,402 posts, read 25,917,849 times
Hz is a measurement of frequency (used to be cycles per second.)

This might help you.

Do I Need 120 Hertz HDMI Cables? - Audioholics Home Theater Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics