Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times

Advertisements

I have read about something that lowers the sound on a TV to one level to stop those obnoxious commercials that scream at me. Does anyone have something like this? Do they work well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
My TV has this built into it, but it doesn't work for me because all my sound is run through my receiver and not through the TV. I don't know if there are stand alone units for this, but you may check the manuals for your source unit (cable or satellite box) and you receiver if you have one. They may have the technology but just not turned on.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
It has been ages since we have seen commercials.

What are the popular ones?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Dolby - Experience - Hold On To Your Popcorn

Take out a second mortgage

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
My TV has this built into it, but it doesn't work for me because all my sound is run through my receiver and not through the TV. I don't know if there are stand alone units for this, but you may check the manuals for your source unit (cable or satellite box) and you receiver if you have one. They may have the technology but just not turned on.
Yeah, what scarmig said. Most newer TV's (maybe four years old or so?) have a type of sound-input equalizer filter built in to them. If oyu go to the menu and then find the "audio settings" you should find this option. But yeah, I agree with you: they turn up those commercials to the 11 button!! LOL.
Why, I have no idea. I mean, what? Turning them up is some sorta advertising trick to supposedly make us want to buy their product more than if the commercial was at regular level? LOL. Wrong!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
But yeah, I agree with you: they turn up those commercials to the 11 button!! LOL. Why, I have no idea.
The volume is turned up to keep you within listening distance, because the majority of people do walk away from their set during the commercial break.

I do not like it either, but it is a business decision.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
The volume is turned up to keep you within listening distance, because the majority of people do walk away from their set during the commercial break.

I do not like it either, but it is a business decision.
The most used button on our remote is Mute. You would think advertisers would figure out that we aren't listening to their commercials not because we don't care, but that they are so loud they're annoying. But then most businesses are led around by the nose by PR and commercial account reps.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I'm assuming this is a blanket type "filter" and applies to everything?

The reason they get so loud is because they have the amplification jacked up, it's the same reason why some CD's/MP3's will have different volume levels without actually changing the volume. The "filter" on the TV will just set a peak for the amplification, one issue is if you're watching a movie or show that might use sound for dramatic effect it will also effect that.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
More accurately, commercials tweak the compression ratio of the sound. Stuff that is normally fairly quiet, like talking, is blasted out at the same level as a racing car engine. If the commercial HAD a racing car engine in it, the engine would sound quieter than normal in comparison. Just turning the volume up would lead to clipping and distortion.

Advice? Skip the sound reduction device and get a Personal DVR like a tivo. Once you understand how to use it, you'll never go back. It saves massive amounts of time, and allows you to fast foreward through commercials and show segments that are painful to watch.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:05 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I have read about something that lowers the sound on a TV to one level to stop those obnoxious commercials that scream at me. Does anyone have something like this? Do they work well?
CALM Act plans to put loud TV commercials to sleep
Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-CA) wants the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to act—against loud commercials. Her "Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act' has just cleared a subcommittee and now moves to the full House Energy and Commerce committee for a vote.

CALM Act plans to put loud TV commercials to sleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics