U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,578,435 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I recently bought a new HDTV (Phillips) and got everything hooked up and ran into a little problem.

I'm using rabbit ears to get free, over-the-air HDTV/DTV. My last tv needed one of those digital converter boxes and I still have the box but now I'm hooking the rabbit ears directly into the tv because it has a digital tuner built right inside. I did the auto program on the TV and had it scan the channels but it only picked up two (yes all of two) HD/DTV channels and two analogue channels (it picked up CBS in HD and Peachtree TV in DTV). My digital converter box detected about 25 DTV channels and the antenna hasn't been moved sence then. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the TV needs a stronger signal than the converter box did to detect it when it scans? When I get back home later I'm going to try and move the antenna close to the window and do a re-scan.

I can always go back and hook up the converter box and just watch tv through that but it won't be in HD which is kind of the whole point of getting the TV.

P.S. I live in Atlanta (in the city) so I know there are more channels in HD than just one or two if that helps at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 08:40 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,846,639 times
Might be the antenna. I know there is a lot of controversy over what does and doesn't work.

We bought two of these and get every channel available.

RCA - Indoor Off-Air HDTV Antenna - ANT111

Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,939 posts, read 33,777,315 times
Make sure that your set-top antenna can pick up both VHF and UHF signals. In most markets, one or more stations previously on VHF channels 2-13 moved to a UHF channel (numbered 13 and higher), even though the station still identifies itself as channel 2, or whatever, it may now actually be on UHF channel 50 or another number above 13. Here's a place with some details about Atlanta.

Also, you may need an amplified antenna to pick up the new UHF signal. UHF signals don't travel as far as VHF.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:21 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,578,435 times
Thanks guys! I tinkered around and did some research and evidently HD picks up better through rabbit ears when the two antennas are not extended out (which they were when I did a channel scan) rather then fully extended which is good because you can hide rabbit ears a lot easier when the antennas are pushed down. I moved the ears closer to the outer wall window, pushed the antennas in and did a re-scan and viola! 26 channels all HD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics