Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times

Advertisements

Those huge high-voltage power lines the OP talked about... I think those are called distribution lines.

Each insulator like the one previously posted here...

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/engineering_studies/telecommunications/3375/pole.JPG (broken link)

... represents 10,000 volts, so we see approximately 40,000 volts here. The other bare wire would be the return wire?

In my neighborhood, we've got a distribution line going through our neiborhood maybe two blocks away from my home and they are way up high. We have 1 acre plots and about half way back into my property is a xfmr box and underground cable brings power to our home. The phone is underground too. We weren't wired for cable and have DirecTV instead... which is fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Each insulator like the one previously posted here...... represents 10,000 volts, so we see approximately 40,000 volts here. The other bare wire would be the return wire?
It could be lower than 10kV. Typically you'll have four cables across the pole; 3 phase conductors and a grounding conductor. Since this is alternating current, each ungrounded conductor is the return conductor for another; the current is alternating its direction 60x per second with each line's phase angle 120 deg apart from the next. The fourth cable is not what you would consider a neutral conductor like you have in secondary premises wiring. You pick that up in the transformer @ each service.

If it were 10kV per line, it wouldn't be a 40kV distribution line, it would be 10kV.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
No, I said 10 kV per insulator... as there are 4 stacked up. This is just what my father-in-law told me as he was once a linemen.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No, I said 10 kV per insulator... as there are 4 stacked up. This is just what my father-in-law told me as he was once a linemen.

i'm sorry, that is incorrect.

maybe you misunderstood what he was trying to explain. that insulator is not long enough for 40kV.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,569 times
Tel: line normally used cat 5 cable ( data cable).
Power line normally used mm-square of cross sectional area, grade of each cross sectional wire area.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:42 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Give it a poke and see what happens.

Just kidding. The electrical will be way up on top with the phone/cable lower. If your neighborhood has above ground utilities, you can follow the cables with your eyes and see which one terminates where (electrical riser/meter, cable box, phone box).

Old 08-27-2011, 03:33 PM

782 posts, read 1,108,932 times
When I was a child we had a high voltage power line on the other side of our back fence..my brothers would build forts in the legs and play all day...it never seemed to bother them. I, on the other hand, couldn't get within 50 feet of the thing with out getting dizzy, an upset stomach and headache.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
When I was a child we had a high voltage power line on the other side of our back fence..my brothers would build forts in the legs and play all day...it never seemed to bother them. I, on the other hand, couldn't get within 50 feet of the thing with out getting dizzy, an upset stomach and headache.
You'd be surprised how much (and how far) stray voltage reaches from those lines. I've taken a digital meter and put one prong to earth ground and held the other one at chest level and read over 50 volts while standing underneath the lines.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 AM

18 posts, read 58,137 times
WHAT!?

are you talking inside wire? I.W.? which can be level 3 /cat 3 wire also. The topic was not about inside wire...

Why do those who fail to read the original post offer inane comments that have nothing to do with the topic?

see original post question >> "
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits
That was very helpful--thanks so much.

So my other question is: one reads so much about how living near power lines is very dangerous for health reasons--would this also apply to these smaller residential poles, or would it only apply to high voltage power lines (the really big ones--the ones that you can hear buzzing when you walk under them).

[LEFT]
Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/scien...#ixzz1WUQpUVQV
[/LEFT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnk2003 View Post
Tel: line normally used cat 5 cable ( data cable).
Power line normally used mm-square of cross sectional area, grade of each cross sectional wire area.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 AM

18 posts, read 58,137 times
People should actually read a post before making comments

Originally Posted by kibblesandbits
That was very helpful--thanks so much.

So my other question is: one reads so much about how living near power lines is very dangerous for health reasons--would this also apply to these smaller residential poles, or would it only apply to high voltage power lines (the really big ones--the ones that you can hear buzzing when you walk under them).

[LEFT]
see he makes mention and questions whether there is a similarity between the residential poles and the " really big ones that you can hear buzzing..."

our educational system is in failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
My understanding of that post was to say living near the lower voltage residential won't cause adverse health problems.

"
[/LEFT]

The primaries you see in a residential area are typically going to be 7.2kv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics