Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 PM

314 posts, read 1,178,000 times

Advertisements

Bought a 50 inch TV a short time back and paid a small fortune for it. Problems began cropping up from the start and we found out the TV can't be repaired. Seems there's a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer for the junk they knowingly put on the market. HITACHI...please remember that name.

Anyway, we want to purchase a new TV but *will not* pay the small fortune as before. Mid price, as we feel all electronics are now "disposable" but we'd like to find the best retail store to deal with as far as service and repairs after the purchase. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 AM

3 posts, read 9,661 times
Try browsing in the internet for reference. Try Sony or Philips. They guarantee you at least two years of repair in case something happens to your television. That is also free of charge as long as you do not intend to destroy your television.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,754,619 times
I know that the service of companies will very across the country but I’ve had good luck with Best Buy for products, service, and information about electronics like tv and pcs.

We bought a large screen Samsung several years ago and have had very good luck with it. That being said, remember, “that not all manufactures models are the same” they produce a great tv in one size and the next unit isn’t working very well.

You might want to check with the consumers guide for information on each model and manufacture of equipment.

Costco is another place that seems to have quality products with good servicing of the equipment after the sale.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,345,164 times
Do you shop at Costco (or perhaps other warehouse clubs)? Costco gives a 2 year warranty on almost all TV's. Industry standard TV warranty is 1 year, which is short considering how expensive the TV's are these days. Interestingly computer LCD monitor warranties are commonly 3 years. Costco also includes telephone tech support during that time.

They used to take returns even on years old TV's, but people abused it and they have to limit that now.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM

314 posts, read 1,178,000 times
No Costco in my area but I do belong to a Sam's Club. To my way of thinking, even a 2 year warranty isn't much at all considering the prices we pay for the TV's. I paid for an *extended warranty* with the HITACHI I bought. A total waste of very hard earned money...the extended warranty and the TV.

Thank you for all the replies. You've given me some helpful things to consider.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,345,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post
No Costco in my area but I do belong to a Sam's Club. To my way of thinking, even a 2 year warranty isn't much at all considering the prices we pay for the TV's. I paid for an *extended warranty* with the HITACHI I bought. A total waste of very hard earned money...the extended warranty and the TV.

Thank you for all the replies. You've given me some helpful things to consider.
I don't believe there is really any effort made to make them repairable, since the technology changes so quick. When I sent in my computer monitor for warranty, after 2 years, they just sent me another one, which was a different model.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
There are many places that offer reasonable extended warranties that will replace the TV if its not fixed in three trips.But I have a friend that just returned a tv he bought at christmas for his daughter;they took it back at wal-mart no questions asked. Surprised me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics