Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 PM

28 posts, read 56,322 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone...We will also be retiring in about 3 yrs..We have been looking at the Coves also and saw a nice lot on Sawmill..We live in the Chicago area and my question to all of you is...would it be wise to buy sight unseen..My realtor I think would be willing to take a 360 degree video to send me..Just really hard to make the drive with my dogs..also I have read water is being brought in..Do you pay for this?? will it be installed when we are ready to make the move in 3 yrs?? I was hesitant about this place as I thought young people would be buying here but I see all the retirees....one last thing...whats this I read about a sand quarry and blasting and members weren't notified..??? is it near...is it noisy?? also what are the dues for 2013??
Thankyou Pat/Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 04:09 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJeff View Post
Hi Everyone...We will also be retiring in about 3 yrs..We have been looking at the Coves also and saw a nice lot on Sawmill..We live in the Chicago area and my question to all of you is...would it be wise to buy sight unseen..My realtor I think would be willing to take a 360 degree video to send me..Just really hard to make the drive with my dogs..also I have read water is being brought in..Do you pay for this?? will it be installed when we are ready to make the move in 3 yrs?? I was hesitant about this place as I thought young people would be buying here but I see all the retirees....one last thing...whats this I read about a sand quarry and blasting and members weren't notified..??? is it near...is it noisy?? also what are the dues for 2013??
Thankyou Pat/Jeff
My wife and I own a 4 acre lot on Sawmill Road. We bought it in 2007 and plan to build our retirement home on our lot in 2015 or 2016. I would not purchase a lot site unseen because many of the lots have steep slopes. If you are planning to build on a lot, you will need at least some of the lot to be level. It is difficult to determine whether a lot will be suitable from a video. Water and gas lines have already been installed in Cumberland Cove. If you buy a lot, you will have to pay a fee to have the water company tap into their lines and you will also have to hire a contractor to run a line from the street to your house. I have not heard anything about a sand quarry or blasting. The annual Property Owners Association dues are $100 per year. We met some of the Cumberland Cove homeowners in 2008 when we attended one of their breakfast events during a visit. The majority of the people we met were retired or nearing retirement. I don't think there is a need to be concerned about young people in Cumberland Cove. We like Cumberland Cove because of its green rolling hills, parks for the exclusive use of residents, large lots that provide privacy, and friendly people. In addition, we like the fact that Cumberland Cove has some light building restrictions that tend to protect the value of your property by prohibiting certain types of structures or businesses. You can learn a lot about Cumberland Cove by going to their website at the link below.

Cumberland Cove Property Owners Association Web Site

Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
lae60, and jguillot, come on to Cookeville for your retirement, we did. October of this year, we will have made the 1 year mark living here, and loving it. We bought a house already built, so can't offer help in respect of having one built, but as far as liking it here, it's a great place to retire. We live on the other side of Cookeville from where you were looking at places to live. We live in a subdivision outside of Baxter. We like everything about where we live, and the people here. One thing I would suggest to you, though, if you haven't already thought about it is to arrange all your your medical needs here, ahead of time. I was able to bring my insurance with me when I retired, but when we began to look for doctors, and dentists here, we ran into several snags with our PPO provider, and the physicians networks here. I would suggest, before you make the move to talk with your insurance people, and the physicians, here, and get some solid information about who, or who isn't on your network. I wish we had done it. I don't know your situation, but we brought our insurance from Texas, and when we show our ID card, the providers here give us a funny look, and say they never heard of that insurance company. Our saving grace was that my insurance uses a big name insurance Co. as a PPO provider to process the claims. When the physicians see that, they are ok with it. Otherwise, come, and enjoy this beautiful state!
Hi,we are looking online now for properties there in Cumberland Cove and was wondering if you could answer some questions for me..We are looking at 4+ acrea lots..Are all the areas good ones?? How close are the lakes there as my husband cant find them on maps..? Has the city water been brought thru yet?? What about shopping?? grocery stores close by,retail? Whatever advice you can give us before we head out there would be much appreciated..We plan to move out in 3 yrs and have the house built for move in ready..We want seclusion as we do have dogs and would like privacy..Thankyou very much in advance..Pat

Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
I can now see the "light at the end of the tunnel." My retirement in Cumberland Cove near Monterey, TN could be as little as 2 years away. I'm so excited that I could scream!!! I'd probably be better off waiting 3 more years before I retire, but knowing that I can do it in 2 years and still live comfortably makes this prospect very appealing. I am sick and tired of living in California with its extremely high taxes, high overall cost of living, and a political climate that does not appeal to me. I was born and raised in the south and I very much want to return to an area in which life is slower paced, people are friendly, and moral and ethical values are important. I'm already looking into the various options that I can choose from to move our belongings to Tennessee. I've also spent some time planning the route we will take for the drive from California to Tennessee. My wife and I already have a home plan picked out for our lot in Cumberland Cove, but I think it may be a little more house than we will need, so I'm continuing to look at other plans. I also need to start looking for home building contractors and get referrals from them. Some may think I'm a bit premature in doing these things, but I'm so excited that I can't help myself. I've been on this forum off and on since 2007 talking about retirement in Tennessee, so I just want to let everyone know that my dream of retirement in Tennessee is fast approaching. I can't wait!!!
Can I ask what road you bought on?? We are coming up to look at the area and plan also to live there hopefully in 3 yrs..How close are the lakes as I have a big fisherman that is super excited to start his retirement..also are there things like condo's or apartment going in there? RV park for people to come and set up camp as that would be a BIG no for us..Thanks and any info would be greatly appreciated..Pat/Jeff

Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Thankyou so much for the great information..I do see a lot of folks retiring in 3-4 yrs so we will all be newbe's..LOL...Do you know how much it would cost for the water lines to be hooked up?? Pat/Jeff

Old 12-29-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Hi,we are looking online now for properties there in Cumberland Cove and was wondering if you could answer some questions for me..We are looking at 4+ acrea lots..Are all the areas good ones?? How close are the lakes there as my husband cant find them on maps..? Has the city water been brought thru yet?? What about shopping?? grocery stores close by,retail? Whatever advice you can give us before we head out there would be much appreciated..We plan to move out in 3 yrs and have the house built for move in ready..We want seclusion as we do have dogs and would like privacy..Thankyou very much in advance..Pat
Cumberland Cove has 2 and 4 acre lots. The 4 acre lots tend to be on the Putnam County side of the Cove. I believe anywhere you buy in Cumberland Cove, you will be in a good area. There are many lakes both inside and outside of state parks in the area, but since I don't live there yet, I can't tell you specifically where they are located. You might try looking at the area using googlemaps.com. Water and natural gas lines have been installed in Cumberland Cove, so you will have city water and gas. Cumberland Cove has a Monterey, TN address, but you won't find many large stores in Monterey. However, you will find many stores and restaurants and all the services you will ever need in Cookeville. There is also a hospital in Cookeville. If you buy a 4 acre lot in Cumberland Cove, you will have the privacy you are looking for.

I highly recommend that you visit Cumberland Cove to see what it is like for yourself. Attend one of the many events sponsored by the Cumberland Cove POA. You should also drive around the surrounding area and talk to people. Check out the cities of Monterey, Cookeville and Crossville. Visit some of the state parks in the area. Check out the Cumberland Cove POA website at the link below. You should also visit the Cumberland Cove POA office.

http://www.cumberlandcovepoa.com/index.html

Last edited by jguillot; 12-29-2013 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 12-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Can I ask what road you bought on?? We are coming up to look at the area and plan also to live there hopefully in 3 yrs..How close are the lakes as I have a big fisherman that is super excited to start his retirement..also are there things like condo's or apartment going in there? RV park for people to come and set up camp as that would be a BIG no for us..Thanks and any info would be greatly appreciated..Pat/Jeff
We purchased a 4 acre lot at Sawmill Road. It is near the west end on Sawmill Road, near Cliff Park Road. Cumberland Cove has light restrictions that do not allow condos, apartments, or mobile homes. All homes built must be a minimum of 1,500 square feet of living space. RV parks are also prohibited in Cumberland Cove.

Last edited by JMT; 12-29-2013 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: I don't think you should be giving out your address. Who knows who reads these things.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Thankyou so much for the great information..I do see a lot of folks retiring in 3-4 yrs so we will all be newbe's..LOL...Do you know how much it would cost for the water lines to be hooked up?? Pat/Jeff
The information you are looking for is available at the link below.

http://www.cumberlandcovepoa.com/PDFS/WaterAnswers.pdf

You should take a look at the sites at the links below.

Cumberland Cove Property Owners Association - Building Rules and Forms

Cumberland Cove Property Owners Association Web Site

I hope this helps. You can send me a private message if you would like specific questions answered.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM

36,518 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Dale Hollow is about 40 miles
Center Hill about 40 miles
And you have Cordell Hull, Percy Priest, Old Hickory, Norris. You can google these.
Also fishing is allowed in the city lakes that are used for drinking water as well as private lakes that can be fished with permission and a fee. I believe that they sell leases for Monterey Lake hunting and fishing which would be just a few miles from the cove.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:39 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Look at the property tax rate for Putman & Cumberland County. And then pull up Google Earth and look at the terrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville