Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 PM

290 posts, read 760,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
I used to live in Wilmington - right by Bourbonnais prior to moving to Virginia. Still hoping and praying to move to Cookeville soon.
What a small world! I live in Kankakee (Limestone) and work at a dental office in Bourbonnais! My husband and I ride our motorcycles a lot on 113 and in and around Wilmington. About the only place to ride around this area for a quick ride! How did you end up in Virginia and how long have you been there? When do you think you'll get to Cookeville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM

869 posts, read 1,772,477 times
I spent three months there in 1982/3, staying in downtown Kankakee and managing the Wendy's on 50. Then, in the last few years, my son's baseball team played in a few state tournaments at a really run down complex out in the cornfields. Stayed at the hotels by the mall.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
I spent three months there in 1982/3, staying in downtown Kankakee and managing the Wendy's on 50. Then, in the last few years, my son's baseball team played in a few state tournaments at a really run down complex out in the cornfields. Stayed at the hotels by the mall.
Well I'll be darned! So I guess you know why I want to get out of here! Cornfields is right! Surrounded by cornfields. LOL! Where was that run down complex?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM

North of town. The last time we played there was in 2007, but I remember going past a newer Kohl's, turning left and going out of town a bit. I think a former major leaguer built it, could it been real nice, but it feel into bad shape. Last time we played there the scoreboards had been repossessed.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
North of town. The last time we played there was in 2007, but I remember going past a newer Kohl's, turning left and going out of town a bit. I think a former major leaguer built it, could it been real nice, but it feel into bad shape. Last time we played there the scoreboards had been repossessed.
hmm..I don't know where that would be out there. I can't think of any sports complex old or broken down. But I have no kids in sports (all grown up) so I don't keep tabs on that stuff.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:53 PM

193 posts, read 510,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLuce View Post
What a small world! I live in Kankakee (Limestone) and work at a dental office in Bourbonnais! My husband and I ride our motorcycles a lot on 113 and in and around Wilmington. About the only place to ride around this area for a quick ride! How did you end up in Virginia and how long have you been there? When do you think you'll get to Cookeville?
It definitely is a small world! My husband retired from UPS and wanted to live on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We bought a house right off the BRP and have been here for about 2-1/2 years. While it is peaceful it is also lonely and there is nothing to do in Floyd. Being from the Chicago area, we miss access to a big city and think Cookeville might be the right place. Out in the country but also close to Nashville.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,460 times
My family and I are looking for a change. We live in Northern KY right now and are planning on moving to TN. MY parents contracted a job in Cookeville and really seemed to like it. I am a nurse and with my husband we have 3 children 9, 7, and 3. Any reccomendations on Nursing jobs, schools, or the opportunity to open up a small store/restaurant in the area???

Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,765,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey1221 View Post
My family and I are looking for a change. We live in Northern KY right now and are planning on moving to TN. MY parents contracted a job in Cookeville and really seemed to like it. I am a nurse and with my husband we have 3 children 9, 7, and 3. Any reccomendations on Nursing jobs, schools, or the opportunity to open up a small store/restaurant in the area???
The hospital in Cookeville is large (1800 employees) and is a great place to work. There are a couple hundred doctors in town, too, with lots of clinics and offices. Keep in mind that the nursing school at the local university churns out lots of graduates every year who are also looking for jobs, but generally if you are patient you have a good chance of getting a nursing job in the area.

As far as schools, stick to Putnam County (Cookeville, Algood, Baxter, and Monterey). But coming from Kentucky, you may find some of the more rural counties in the area (White and Overton, especially) to have good schools, too.

There are tons of restaurants in Cookeville, and the competition is fierce. The big chain restaurants seem to thrive, and some of the locally-owned places do great, too. What kind of small store or restaurant are you interested in?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Dex

13 posts, read 82,653 times
Default Particulars About Cookeville and Tennessee

Like many others on here, we are Illinoisans (New Lenox, east of Joliet) who are sick of the weather, corruption, and cost of living up here. Through several sources we've become attracted to Cookeville and have done a bunch of homework on the area.

Only a few questions remain:

1) What part of Cookeville has modestly prices homes yet is safe in which to live?

2) Overall, what types of taxation does Tennessee levy on citizens compared to the boatload of them here in the embarrassing Land of Blagojevich?

Thank you!

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:42 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 AM

Answers:

1) Pretty much everywhere. The area near TTU is student loaded and not the greatest, but not as bad as the bad areas of Joliet by any means.

2) Biggest tax to affect you here is sales tax. 9.5% on just about everything, including things that aren't taxed in Il, like Dry Cleaning. Property Taxes are about 30% of what you pay in Il and only state income tax is on investment and interest income, non on earned income. Citiy services lack compared what you are used to, no curbside recycling or regular yard waste pick up, but utility costs also are lower and all provided by the city if you are in city limits. Do not have to deal with 3-4 different providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville