U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

68 posts, read 29,701 times

Advertisements

Here is a screenshot of the proposed trail expansions from the April 1 Cookeville City Council meeting. Sorry for the low resolution.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

27,312 posts, read 24,516,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcat123 View Post
Here is a screenshot of the proposed trail expansions from the April 1 Cookeville City Council meeting. Sorry for the low resolution.
Thanks.
Looks like they have their work cut out for them. If anyone has Google earth you get a better feel of the next phase from Alood to Monterey. As I understand they will be building the trail along the existing railroad right of way, most of which is through the trees. You can follow it up to Parragon road on Google earth.

Old Today, 07:33 AM

12,611 posts, read 35,213,274 times
Quote:
Thank you for posting that. The Algood-Parragon Road extension, at just under 4 miles, will almost double the length of the trail. I agree with 2mares, though, that the section between there and Monterey is going to be difficult and expensive to build. It'll also be absolutely beautiful, but I imagine it'll be years before it's completed.

Still, it'll be nice to be able to bike from Cane Creek Park all the way through downtown Cookeville and then through Algood up onto Brotherton Mountain. Here's a Google Streetview of where the RR tracks meet up with Brotherton Mountain Road at Parragon Road. I suppose part of the plan will be to build a small parking lot and other facilities (restrooms, maps, etc.) somewhere around there. If this will be used in the same way as the Virginia Creeper Trail in SW Virginia, most people will start here at the higher elevation and ride down the mountain.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1945...!7i3328!8i1664

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old Today, 09:22 AM

68 posts, read 29,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Thank you for posting that. The Algood-Parragon Road extension, at just under 4 miles, will almost double the length of the trail. I agree with 2mares, though, that the section between there and Monterey is going to be difficult and expensive to build. It'll also be absolutely beautiful, but I imagine it'll be years before it's completed.

Still, it'll be nice to be able to bike from Cane Creek Park all the way through downtown Cookeville and then through Algood up onto Brotherton Mountain. Here's a Google Streetview of where the RR tracks meet up with Brotherton Mountain Road at Parragon Road. I suppose part of the plan will be to build a small parking lot and other facilities (restrooms, maps, etc.) somewhere around there. If this will be used in the same way as the Virginia Creeper Trail in SW Virginia, most people will start here at the higher elevation and ride down the mountain.

Even more reason to expect more development on Algood/Brotherton Mountain in the years to come.

Old Today, 09:29 AM

12,611 posts, read 35,213,274 times
Quote:
Even more reason to expect more development on Algood/Brotherton Mountain in the years to come.
As well as businesses in downtown Algood and Cookeville that cater to the cyclists, similar to how downtown Damascus, Virginia has become.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old Today, 11:37 AM

27,312 posts, read 24,516,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

I will personally be happy when the Algood-Parragon Road section is completed just so it will get cyclists off the road.

I was eyeballing the land mass on either side of the railroad where I could see on my drive in this morning. I dont know what the right of way is on either side of the railroad but in many places its going to be a real challenge. I'm very curious to see how they will deal with crazy George's bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville