Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM

445 posts, read 1,682,554 times

Advertisements

I found out the area in which we purchased is named as it is because a map from the 1800s called the area by that name. I would find it interesting to secure a map from that time frame and hang it in our home now and then our someday home in Tennessee.

I tried a google search but have no idea where to get such a map. Suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Wink Try one of these places, Robbied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbied View Post
I found out the area in which we purchased is named as it is because a map from the 1800s called the area by that name. I would find it interesting to secure a map from that time frame and hang it in our home now and then our someday home in Tennessee.

I tried a google search but have no idea where to get such a map. Suggestions are appreciated.
Sometimes, a town's Chamber of Commerce will have old maps and such available to newcomers. We bought some great ones here in N. GA of the county and in MI of the Great Lakes. They look very antiqued, but of course are replicas. We also got one some years ago in PA, which was a replica of the original Penn's grant in Buck's County, PA from King George. Very neat to have.

They do make very interesting art pieces when framed. They also serve to preserve happy memories from places long since gone from our current lives.

Check with the C of C and also local gift shops (hometown ones, not chains) and a nearby State Park with an information center. You might come up with a goodie.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:50 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
If you Google "History" Cumberland County you will find pages of information, with that information you may be able too find a original or a copy too hang on your wall.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:31 PM

Default good places to start, thank you

I will work on that this week. Thank you for your answers.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Arrow This may help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbied View Post
I will work on that this week. Thank you for your answers.
......... Cumberland County, Tennessee Genealogical Records Information

Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
I like this idea Robbied. I am going to have to search for a map. Am sure I can find some of the Smokies. It would go great on the wall with the photographs we took and had enlarged into poster size. You can take a new map and age it to look old with distress ink if you so desire.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM

Default I would love an original

but of course a new with antiquing will do. I have walnut distress ink here in my craft room.

I emailed the realtor who handles the area and she is going to see if the developer has an extra copy or can get the map copied for me and then I would distress it. I looked at all the sites and so far have not come up with anything that lists the name of the area.

Thank you for the ideas.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Look for White County. Parts of Cumberland County were in White County. Not sure when they split.
My Mother's family is from Crossville and I inherited some genealogical research she did. That's when I ran into the Cumberland/White County split.
There is a Crossville Historical Society that can probably help you out.
Here's the White County historical website
White County TN Genealogical-Historical Society (broken link)
Can't find a site for Cumberland County. None of my old links are working. Try the State Library.
TSLA - History and Genealogy
Southerners in general are very interested -- some say obsessed -- with genealogy. They want to know "who your people are."
Following up on the history of where you're buying could lead you down some very interesting paths.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Southerners in general are very interested -- some say obsessed -- with genealogy. They want to know "who your people are."
Following up on the history of where you're buying could lead you down some very interesting paths.
This is good to know. I have been working on my family's genealogy since I was 15, many eons ago. I've been doing some reading of the history of various areas online. Really interesting.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I like this idea Robbied. I am going to have to search for a map. Am sure I can find some of the Smokies. It would go great on the wall with the photographs we took and had enlarged into poster size. You can take a new map and age it to look old with distress ink if you so desire.
That is exactly what we have done with each place that we have lived in, AlisonL. It is quite easy to have a map enlarged if it is too small for your wall display, and then have it framed (Fortunately, my husband is pretty good with matting and framing).

Your can use distressing ink and I have even used a tea wash. You should apply this to a firmly anchored print, just like you were starching a sized out doily. (Am I giving away my age?)

They have always turned out great and is something to remind you of all the memories you created in that area with your children and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville