Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 AM

668 posts, read 771,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Can anyone confirm the same for Anchor Down and Jets?
The Anchor Down went down. The signage has been removed.

Why do some restaurants in Cookeville close so soon after the grand opening?

Why do some restaurants and stores get consistent returning customers while others don't?

Is it because the owners don't understand the Cookeville market?

Is it because of bad management ... bad product/service?

Maybe it's because the average household income in Cookeville is only ~30K.

Maybe it's because the people of Cookeville understands value for money.

Cookevillians don't have money to burn, so they spend money more efficiently.

Any store or restaurant expanding to Cookeville thinking they can charge top dollar like they do in higher income areas might be making a mistake.

I'm kinda curious how well Publix will perform. They are known for higher prices but in high income areas the customers are probably willing to pay extra. Not sure if this will happen in Cookeville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM

13,372 posts, read 40,090,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
The Anchor Down went down. The signage has been removed.

Why do some restaurants in Cookeville close so soon after the grand opening?

Why do some restaurants and stores get consistent returning customers while others don't?

Is it because the owners don't understand the Cookeville market?

Is it because of bad management ... bad product/service?
In the case of Anchor Down, they got caught selling liquor to a minor in September and had their liquor license revoked. It's hard to recover from something like that.

As for Krispy Kreme, they did a good job at keeping that location a secret. There wasn't a single billboard either in town or along I-40 advertising its location. It was a boneheaded corporate decision to close down. I'm sure if they had let a franchisee take over, it probably could've made it. Krispy Kreme, now owned by a German conglomerate, has made some dumb decisions the last few years and has closed many of its locations.

In addition, even places like Nashville and Charleston are seeing a high number of restaurants suddenly close. If anything, Cookeville has largely been spared, since there have been more restaurants opening than restaurants closing.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...ng-up-but.html

Quote:
Maybe it's because the average household income in Cookeville is only ~30K.

Maybe it's because the people of Cookeville understands value for money.

Cookevillians don't have money to burn, so they spend money more efficiently.

Any store or restaurant expanding to Cookeville thinking they can charge top dollar like they do in higher income areas might be making a mistake.

I'm kinda curious how well Publix will perform. They are known for higher prices but in high income areas the customers are probably willing to pay extra. Not sure if this will happen in Cookeville.
Per capita income and household income figures work in many areas, but they're not very useful in college towns. There are 12,000 college students in Cookeville, a town of 34,000. That skews the income statistics way low and the poverty statistics way high.

Here are some other statistics to show that Cookeville is not as poor as some statistics seem to show:

Putnam County is the 18th largest county in population in the state but the 14th wealthiest by bank deposits. Per capita, Putnam County is the 5th wealthiest county in the state in bank deposits, just behind Davidson, Williamson, Shelby, and Sevier.

Typical of college towns, the average apartment rental in Cookeville ($641) is lower than the state average ($782). Yet, in spite of the low per capita income figures, the average home value in Cookeville ($156,900) is higher than the state average ($146,000).

In the last two years, over 1,300 homes in the Cookeville area sold for over $200,000, nearly half of those were over $300,000. Over 100 were for over a half million dollars, and 12 were for over $1 million.

Speaking of million-dollar homes, the Wall Street Journal last year named Cookeville one of the four towns in America where millionaires are moving to the fastest. From 2014-2015, there were 333 millionaires who moved to Cookeville, a 21.7 percent increase in one year.

There's no question that the region as a whole is poor, but Cookeville is attracting businesses and people with money like never before. It's nothing like Franklin (thank goodness) but it's one of the fastest growing areas in the state, particularly outside the Nashville area. I don't think there's any reason to be alarmed that a couple of restaurants have closed in the last few weeks. A lot more are in the pipeline. And Publix will do just fine.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,196 posts, read 5,710,709 times
Just my opinion, but I think that Publix will do just fine. Every time I have spoken to someone who has experienced Publix shopping, they are eagerly awaiting the opening. We talked with a couple at one of the university concerts who drive over from Crossville. They make regular trips over to the Knoxville area to shop at Publix, so coming to Cookeville will be easier.

Granted that not everyone will be going there, but they should get their fair share of the market as long as they operate as they usually do: Reasonable prices (not necessarily cheap), clean and bright stores, good variety of items with shelves kept stocked and excellent overall service.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,625,925 times
BOGOs! The weekly ad will blow everyone's mind here. Don't forget selection.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:10 AM

A 30K median household income is not necessarily a bad thing. When you compare that income to the cost of living it's not bad at all. Cookeville is probably attracting new people (including retiree's) because of the low cost of living, low crime and high quality of life. New businesses are probably attracted to Cookeville for the same reasons but lower operating costs include lower wages. It's all relative imo and self correcting to some degree. The value of goods and services is what another person is willing and able to pay for it.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
BOGOs! The weekly ad will blow everyone's mind here. Don't forget selection.
I think people will shop at Pubix for the good deals and specialty items but most people won't do the bulk of their grocery shopping at Publix. People are already doing this with Kroger and Food Lion. People will shop around for the best deals.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I think people will shop at Pubix for the good deals and specialty items but most people won't do the bulk of their grocery shopping at Publix. People are already doing this with Kroger and Food Lion. People will shop around for the best deals.
I shop Publix, Kroger, Aldi, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, IGA, Foodland and etc. all for the best deals. And yes, most people won't buy the bulk of their groceries at Publix, but some will...and some will discover the wonderful customer service that Kroger doesn't provide. Or the small things Publix does, like available hand baskets stocked at the entrance and throughout the store or keep their store stocked properly which Kroger Cookeville can't seem to do here. Most other Middle Tennessee Krogers are great, and most have this in common: Publix competition in their market.

We've all been hoping that Kroger will step up its game here when Publix comes to town....hopefully we'll get the best of both grocery worlds.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I shop Publix, Kroger, Aldi, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, IGA, Foodland and etc. all for the best deals. And yes, most people won't buy the bulk of their groceries at Publix, but some will...and some will discover the wonderful customer service that Kroger doesn't provide. Or the small things Publix does, like available hand baskets stocked at the entrance and throughout the store or keep their store stocked properly which Kroger Cookeville can't seem to do here. Most other Middle Tennessee Krogers are great, and most have this in common: Publix competition in their market.

We've all been hoping that Kroger will step up its game here when Publix comes to town....hopefully we'll get the best of both grocery worlds.
I noticed Kroger is doing some work to the deli section lately. I guess that means they don't plan to move to a larger building. My biggest issue with Kroger is the narrow aisles and lack of parking. I go early so I can park and maneuver.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I noticed Kroger is doing some work to the deli section lately. I guess that means they don't plan to move to a larger building. My biggest issue with Kroger is the narrow aisles and lack of parking. I go early so I can park and maneuver.
Once Publix became official, I had a conversation with the Real Estate Manager for the Kroger Nashville Division:

We have explored opportunities for new locations in Cookeville in the past, and while I am unable to comment on any specifics at this time, I can tell you that we will continue to monitor the Cookeville area for future growth opportunities. We also have plans to make a fairly significant investment in our existing Cookeville (store?) in the very near future. Hopefully the changes we make to the existing store will enhance (the) shopping experience.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM

118 posts, read 132,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Actually, two Filipino restaurants. Sort of. One is a Filipino market that has Filipino take-out, the other is an actual restaurant. The Filipino market has quite a few Asian foods that I miss (especially prawn chips and polverones) as well as some things I don't particularly miss, like yam and ube ice cream. The Filipino restaurant, A Taste of the Philippines, has a wonderful daily lunch buffet and even has halo-halo for dessert.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fil-am-asian-store-cookeville

https://www.yelp.com/biz/a-taste-of-...he+philippines
Oh. My. God! I have missed our food! I live in Fayetteville so there is no Filipino restaurant or store here, I am not sure about Huntsville either. Although I can cook Filipino food, I can only cook a few. I miss the snacks and halo-halo(I can't make that for myself).

I don't mean to go off topic but, how is the job market there? My husband and I plan on moving after he graduate from nursing school and I may also go back to school get my IT degree. We are considering Mt Juliet, Hendersonville, Gallatin and Cookeville. There are not a whole lot of jobs and stuff here in Fayetteville, plus, those cities I mentioned are a lot closer to my in-laws.

You're not a fan of yam and ube ice cream?! What even are you?! Just kidding.. Haha!

Last edited by iruvrice11; 03-09-2018 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville