Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 AM

869 posts, read 1,794,473 times

Advertisements

Jimmy John's just opened last Tuesday. They do have great sandwiches. Not the best location, they're going to have to advertise to let people know they're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 AM

11 posts, read 21,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Jimmy John's just opened last Tuesday. They do have great sandwiches. Not the best location, they're going to have to advertise to let people know they're there.
WHERE is it?? I live here and I know nothing of it!

Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM

869 posts, read 1,794,473 times
Jackson Plaza, on the east facing side, 2 doors north of Bellacino's.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,623,495 times
Had a slim from ol' JJ's Sunday for lunch. Glad Jimmy John's is here.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 PM

13,370 posts, read 40,071,909 times
I stopped by there tonight for a BLT and asked them why they haven't advertised. They said they're doing a soft opening now just to train employees but will start advertising soon. But even without any formal advertising, they've been pretty busy. I'll definitely be going back there again. I love JJ! I wish I lived closer to Cookeville so they could deliver to my house.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Another one that's slipped through under the radar: a new Pizza Hut in Baxter. It's just east of the crossroads in a very nondescript building. I had to drive by it twice to make sure it really was a Pizza Hut. I'm not a big fan of Pizza Hut but this is still pretty cool, at least for the people in Western Putnam County.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 AM

122 posts, read 265,040 times
It looks the family and I will be making the much anticipated trip to Cookeville the first week in August. My Son will be touring TN Tech to possibly attend next year. We are looking at staying a few days and wanted to get some input on a fish house to eat at. It's called Cookeville Boat Dock. Is this a good place to go for fish? I haven't had any good southern catfish in a long time, so looking for a good fish house to eat at. Also, we plan on eating at Crawdaddy's also. Any other really good recommendations while we are there that we just can't pass up? Mainly for lunch and dinner?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
It looks the family and I will be making the much anticipated trip to Cookeville the first week in August. My Son will be touring TN Tech to possibly attend next year. We are looking at staying a few days and wanted to get some input on a fish house to eat at. It's called Cookeville Boat Dock. Is this a good place to go for fish? I haven't had any good southern catfish in a long time, so looking for a good fish house to eat at. Also, we plan on eating at Crawdaddy's also. Any other really good recommendations while we are there that we just can't pass up? Mainly for lunch and dinner?
Oh my goodness, I love the boat dock! It's nothing fancy at all. But the catfish is awesome. Homemade pies, too. I haven't been there yet since they've opened up for the season but I hope to go there this weekend. If so I'll write up a report. But the last time I was there, it was sooo good. Beautiful scenery, too.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 PM

122 posts, read 265,040 times
If you go there JMT, be sure to give that report. Growing up in MS, I grew up on good southern fried catfish. Can't hardly find it here in central MO. Any other can't miss places to eat while visiting??? Can't wait for that report!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
If you go there JMT, be sure to give that report. Growing up in MS, I grew up on good southern fried catfish. Can't hardly find it here in central MO. Any other can't miss places to eat while visiting??? Can't wait for that report!
I've got to go to Knoxville this weekend so I'll have to wait for the Boat Dock catfish report.

As far as other restaurants in Cookeville, you're already headed to Crawdaddy's which is a great idea. If you want some local BBQ I'm going to also recommend Bobby Q's which is on Broad St. about a half block east of the courthouse downtown. Be sure to order their banana pudding.

If your son ends up going to Tech (and I hope he does) he'll probably become acquainted with Spankie's which is right across the street from campus, and World Foods which is downtown but is also popular with the college crowd. Dipsy Doodle is located a couple of miles west of town on Hwy 70 (Spring Street) and is famous for its breakfasts and its meat-and-three lunch specials.

I don't know how fancy you want to get, but the Bull and Thistle is a popular place for those who are looking for something a little out of the ordinary. It's an honest to goodness Irish gastro pub located on the downtown square in little Gainesboro which is about a beautiful 20 minute drive from Cookeville.

Anyway, here's a rundown of some of the local places that you might want to try (in alphabetical order):
  • Back Room Bistro - organic burgers, salads, and homemade desserts in a really cool old building.
  • Bobby Q's - mentioned above.
  • Bull and Thistle - gastro pub located in quaint downtown Gainesboro.
  • Char - steak lounge on the courthouse square downtown.
  • Cooke House - "social dining" and supposedly good cocktails (I don't drink so I wouldn't know).
  • Cookeville Boat Dock - awesome hand-breaded catfish located on (not next to) scenic Center Hill Lake.
  • Crawdaddy's - New Orleans inspired food.
  • Cream City Ice Cream and Coffee House - really good ice cream and other desserts, right across the street from the depot museum downtown.
  • Dipsy Doodle - famous for its burgers and meat-and-three lunch specials, but I go there for their breakfasts.
  • Father Tom's Pub - good pub grub with a large beer selection.
  • Get Fresh! Caf√© - organic, seasonal dishes with an outdoor patio.
  • Mauricio's - really good Italian food in an old Victorian cottage.
  • Ralph's Donuts - Best. Doughnuts. Ever. Famous for their butter twists. My dad is a sucker for their cinnamon cake doughnuts while my mom goes for their old-fashions (buttermilk) doughnuts.
  • Seven Senses Food and Cheer - Gourmet burgers and other American foods in a really cool old building.
  • Spankies - started out as a cheap place for college kids to get sandwiches, pizza, and spuds back in the 70s but is now a pretty nice casual restaurant with live music.
  • West Side Deli - traditional deli fare in a "New York-style experience."

OK I think that's a good place to start! I tried to limit the restaurants to those downtown/near the university (other than the boat dock, Dipsy Doodle and the Bull and Thistle).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-03-2014 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville