Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,591 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to TN soon but job hunting for the moment. I am finding Cookeville to be my #1 pick. My big question is jobs... I am in the health care field, insurance billing mostly, however I have not finished my degree. Despite my years of experience I am concerned this will prevent me from landing a good paying job. I'm a single parent of 1 and need something that pays good.
For example, Currently in Indiana I am making $30k/yr, which is decent for where I live and honestly quite high for not having a degree. My rent on a 3 bedroom nice house is $700/mo. My daughter also goes to a private Christian school. My main question is... Am I being realistic moving to the Cookeville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I am not from the Cookeville area, but spent some time there several years ago when a lot of my friends were going to school at TN Tech and have played chess there over the years. Cookeville is a small town primarily sustained by TN Tech these days.

Health care is one of the few fields in TN that has a good labor market, so you might find something. However, with Cookeville having such a large school in such a small town, there are likely going to be many degree holders competing for the same jobs as you. Once you get outside of the "big four" (Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Memphis) in TN, pay goes down and unemployment goes up. I live in the Tri-Cities, and even though it's a bigger area than Cookeville, there are few jobs available here, and most people are likely working for $10/hr or less. I wouldn't expect Cookeville to be much different.

I didn't see many homes on the local Craigslist that large that I'd consider "nice" in that price range. If you were willing to downsize, you should be able to find something well under $700. As far as private schools, I'm not sure.

TN generally has a bad job market and the smaller towns are much more difficult to find jobs in than larger cities. You must secure a job before you arrive.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,190,652 times
Default Salary comparison by city

The following two websites might be helpful in comparing salaries in different cities, nationwide.

Salary Search | Indeed.com

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,591 times
Thank you!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 AM

262 posts, read 522,747 times
Check out this local rental company

Falcon Realty of Cookeville, TN ~ Apartments and Rentals

Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM

193 posts, read 512,195 times
I moved to Cookeville two years ago and I can't speak for the health care salaries but administrative/office salaries are horrendous. I am currently making what I made 25 years ago in Chicago!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:42 PM

869 posts, read 1,785,685 times
Healthcare salaries are better than the average, but overall, salaries here overall are bad. People consider $12/hr a high paying job.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:39 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
I moved to Cookeville two years ago and I can't speak for the health care salaries but administrative/office salaries are horrendous. I am currently making what I made 25 years ago in Chicago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
Healthcare salaries are better than the average, but overall, salaries here overall are bad. People consider $12/hr a high paying job.
And this is why no one wanted to move here for eons and why the cost of living has been low. Then retirees and developers got a whiff of the low property taxes and land prices and began buy up. Soon everyone else jumped on the bandwagon but those who didn't have that nest egg and had to actually find employment found it wasn't so cheap to live here on the crap wages.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM

193 posts, read 512,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And this is why no one wanted to move here for eons and why the cost of living has been low. Then retirees and developers got a whiff of the low property taxes and land prices and began buy up. Soon everyone else jumped on the bandwagon but those who didn't have that nest egg and had to actually find employment found it wasn't so cheap to live here on the crap wages.
So true.....my husband is retired and my salary is very low, even with over 30 years of experience. It is extremely difficult and stressful to make ends meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville