Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM

122 posts, read 263,861 times

Advertisements

OK. As mentioned in a previous post, the last time I was in Cookeville was in 2004. What has changed since then; what is new? I don't believe there was a Sam's Club then and some new restaurants have been built. Just trying to get a feel of just how much Cookeville has grown in the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:47 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
OK. As mentioned in a previous post, the last time I was in Cookeville was in 2004. What has changed since then; what is new? I don't believe there was a Sam's Club then and some new restaurants have been built. Just trying to get a feel of just how much Cookeville has grown in the last 10 years.
I don't think the 2nd Walmart was there back then, either. It's technically not in Cookeville (Algood) but I still count it. Tons of new restaurants since 2004: Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, Cheddar's, Buffalo Wild Wings, some fast food joints, and some wonderful places downtown. Lots of new banks, too. Oh, and there's liquor sales now in Cookeville so there are some liquor stores around town. A couple of additional car dealerships on Interstate Drive. The mall is no longer empty; part of it is a flea market (what used to be Peebles) and the rest of it is now full of locally owned stores and restaurants (no chains). Most of the stores that used to be in the mall (Peebles--now called Goody's, GNC, some others) are now off West Jackson across the street from the Sears/Belk mall. The old mall is actually pretty nice now even though JCPenney still won't open their doors that lead into the mall (jerks). Lots of large new homes on the eastern side of town, other new subdivisions all over the place, a ton of new apartments near Tech. A new K-8 school south of the interstate and an expanded K-8 school in Algood.

But one thing that will hopefully never change: Ralph's doughnuts! It's still in the same location downtown, and they're still making the best doughnuts on the planet.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I don't think the 2nd Walmart was there back then, either. It's technically not in Cookeville (Algood) but I still count it. Tons of new restaurants since 2004: Olive Garden, Ruby Tuesday, Cheddar's, Buffalo Wild Wings, some fast food joints, and some wonderful places downtown. Lots of new banks, too. Oh, and there's liquor sales now in Cookeville so there are some liquor stores around town. A couple of additional car dealerships on Interstate Drive. The mall is no longer empty; part of it is a flea market (what used to be Peebles) and the rest of it is now full of locally owned stores and restaurants (no chains). Most of the stores that used to be in the mall (Peebles--now called Goody's, GNC, some others) are now off West Jackson across the street from the Sears/Belk mall. The old mall is actually pretty nice now even though JCPenney still won't open their doors that lead into the mall (jerks). Lots of large new homes on the eastern side of town, other new subdivisions all over the place, a ton of new apartments near Tech. A new K-8 school south of the interstate and an expanded K-8 school in Algood.

But one thing that will hopefully never change: Ralph's doughnuts! It's still in the same location downtown, and they're still making the best doughnuts on the planet.
I've read a lot about Ralph's doughnuts. I will definitely have to try it out next down down. Thanks for the run-down. Can't wait to pay a visit. Of course, what attracts me the most is the natural beauty that is everywhere and the people. Even though Cookeville and the upper Cumberland area are farther south than where I currently live in MO, it is considerably cooler in the summer. Summers can be a real beast here in St. Louis.

What about a Home Depot?
What about Costco?
Who are major employers in the area?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I've read a lot about Ralph's doughnuts. I will definitely have to try it out next down down. Thanks for the run-down. Can't wait to pay a visit. Of course, what attracts me the most is the natural beauty that is everywhere and the people. Even though Cookeville and the upper Cumberland area are farther south than where I currently live in MO, it is considerably cooler in the summer. Summers can be a real beast here in St. Louis.

What about a Home Depot?
What about Costco?
Who are major employers in the area?
No Home Depot which is surprising. There's already a Sam's Club so I doubt Costco will come to town. The largest employers in town are the university (2,400), the hospital (1,600), and the school system (1,200). There's not nearly as much manufacturing around there as there used to be. The largest manufacturing plant is Cummins (600) followed by Oreck vacuum cleaners (400). Averitt Express employs about 700 at its Cookeville HQ. There are about 2,000 government workers in Cookeville (federal, state, county, and city) not including TTU, the schools, and the hospital (which is owned by the city). There are another 1,000 or so at area banks. SunTrust Bank and Oreck also have call centers in Cookeville.

I think about 20 years ago Cookeville would've been considered a very blue collar industrial town, but it's become much more white collar since then.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-13-2013, 04:24 PM

JMT, you're just full of intimate knowledge. Thanks again. You mean there is no Home Depot with a population of 30,000??? That does seem a little strange. I would suspect that Home Depot will eventually put down roots in Cookeville. Anyway, there is Lowes.

What are the chances of my wife finding a job in Cookeville. She has been in the accounting/book keeping/payroll/taxes, etc. field for several years now. She is excellent at what she does and will be getting her EA very soon. Any knowledge about this?

I'm currently a mortgage loan officer. It may be tough for me to stay in this field moving to a new area, especially a small town when compared to St. Louis metro. I figure most loan officers in the Cookeville area already have the referral partners all wrapped up. I would have to establish myself all over again, and in this industry, can be very hard to do. It takes a year or two to really get established good.

Anyway, all I can do is dream and hope at this point.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
JMT, you're just full of intimate knowledge. Thanks again. You mean there is no Home Depot with a population of 30,000??? That does seem a little strange. I would suspect that Home Depot will eventually put down roots in Cookeville. Anyway, there is Lowes.

What are the chances of my wife finding a job in Cookeville. She has been in the accounting/book keeping/payroll/taxes, etc. field for several years now. She is excellent at what she does and will be getting her EA very soon. Any knowledge about this?

I'm currently a mortgage loan officer. It may be tough for me to stay in this field moving to a new area, especially a small town when compared to St. Louis metro. I figure most loan officers in the Cookeville area already have the referral partners all wrapped up. I would have to establish myself all over again, and in this industry, can be very hard to do. It takes a year or two to really get established good.

Anyway, all I can do is dream and hope at this point.
Therein lies the rub. The unemployment rate for TN is still fairly high (8.5%) and Putnam County's rate is just slightly below that, 8.4%. It's quite the Catch-22 situation: you can't get a job until you move there, but you can't move there until you get a job. Your wife could maybe get something at the hospital (which seems to always be hiring). She could try working with a headhunter, too. Keep in mind that with all those college students in town, wages tend to be lower.

And you're probably right that breaking into the mortgage business in Cookeville will be tough. However, homes are still selling there fairly briskly; as a personal anecdote, a realtor friend of mine in Cookeville has personally fielded a surge of queries from out of town people wanting to buy a home in the Cookeville area in the last couple of months; she sold 7 homes just last month. So who knows, you might actually have an easier chance at getting a job than your wife! I know that the mortgage lender I used to buy my home in Putnam County said that they've been getting a lot busier these last couple of months, too.

A lot of people move to the area, particularly western Putnam County, and commute to Nashville for jobs.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Therein lies the rub. The unemployment rate for TN is still fairly high (8.5%) and Putnam County's rate is just slightly below that, 8.4%. It's quite the Catch-22 situation: you can't get a job until you move there, but you can't move there until you get a job. Your wife could maybe get something at the hospital (which seems to always be hiring). She could try working with a headhunter, too. Keep in mind that with all those college students in town, wages tend to be lower.

And you're probably right that breaking into the mortgage business in Cookeville will be tough. However, homes are still selling there fairly briskly; as a personal anecdote, a realtor friend of mine in Cookeville has personally fielded a surge of queries from out of town people wanting to buy a home in the Cookeville area in the last couple of months; she sold 7 homes just last month. So who knows, you might actually have an easier chance at getting a job than your wife! I know that the mortgage lender I used to buy my home in Putnam County said that they've been getting a lot busier these last couple of months, too.

A lot of people move to the area, particularly western Putnam County, and commute to Nashville for jobs.
Well, we still have a ways to go before moving. A lot of things have to be in order first, like everyone else who wants to move to the area. Again, appreciate your perspective on things. I will continue to follow this forum very closely and am certain will have more questions and observations to come. Hope we outsiders don't wear you out too much. But, I get the feeling you enjoy talking about your beloved Cookeville.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 PM

311 posts, read 467,341 times
Traffic in town has gotten awful in the last 9 yrs. Also a lot more apartment buildings have been constructed. I've been here since Nov 2004 and those are the things that have changed a lot.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower54 View Post
Traffic in town has gotten awful in the last 9 yrs. Also a lot more apartment buildings have been constructed. I've been here since Nov 2004 and those are the things that have changed a lot.
I certainly don't care for the traffic (who does??). But, I'm sure the rest of Cookeville and surrounding area by far makes up for it. Try taking on St. Louis rush hour traffic. Not fun at all!!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,594 times
If you are coming from St Louis, you won't even think this is traffic. Willow Av is very poorly constructed and the intersection with Jackson is a compete cluster****. Other than that, the major traffic problem here is the poor drivers. worst I've ever seen. Bad driving habits make traffic worse. Too bad that drivers education is barely a thought here and you have bad drivers teaching their kids and grandkids and making more bad drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville