Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:54 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,129,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I've heard you can get sick if you move into a place that had it in there. Darned if I know what it smells like, though.

I wonder why we don't hear about these explosions or fires. I've seen arrests reported, but nothing else. Maybe it doesn't happen very often?
I've seen several reports of meth lab fires.

You were probably watching the Martha Stewart Show at the time . . .

;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Wise guy!

Maybe the meth heads around here paid attention in science class!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:59 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,140,533 times
Quote:
I've heard you can get sick if you move into a place that had it in there. Darned if I know what it smells like, though.

I wonder why we don't hear about these explosions or fires. I've seen arrests reported, but nothing else. Maybe it doesn't happen very often?
I think part of this is due to how media likes to sensationalize things. Watching one CBS report back in 2003 about Crossville, you would have thought they were selling the stuff at every gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I've seen several reports of meth lab fires.

You were probably watching the Martha Stewart Show at the time . . .

;-)
Martha wasn't in the joint THAT long was she?

Old 11-25-2007, 05:09 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,129,415 times
Quote:
Wise guy!
Who? Little ol' me?

Quote:
Maybe the meth heads around here paid attention in science class!
Yeah, those meth heads look like they were straight A students.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:33 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,705,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
Good morning. My sister works at a bank and one of her customers just moved back to CA from TN after having lived in Cookeville and Franklin. She informed my sis that Cookeville has the highest number of meth labs in the state. Don't know where she got her info, but I tend to be skeptical. I'm looking for some logical rebuttals to this argument as I really want to move my family to TN and Cookeville has, so far, ranked top of the list. TIA for all your help.
I wouldn't put much credence into that. As everyone else here has said, there's meth everywhere, unfortunately. There are some very remote, very rural areas around Cookeville that likely have more meth labs than you'd see in a big city. However, Southeast Tennessee (around Chattanooga) seems to have a bigger reputation for meth labs.

You can check out Tennessee Meth Offenders List that the state keeps:
Tennessee Meth Offender Registry Database

This list shows that Putnam County (Cookeville) has 10 registered meth offenders.

Here are some other counties that have a reputation for having a problem with met labs and their number of registered meth offenders:
Anderson (Oak Ridge): 17
Bradley (Cleveland): 50
Coffee (Tullahoma): 22
Cumberland (Crossville): 16
Marion (Jasper): 22
McMinn (Athens): 31
Monroe (Sweetwater): 30
Warren (McMinnville): 45

Now, whether those high numbers indicates that there are more meth labs in those counties or merely better law enforcement is up for debate. I tend to believe that where there's smoke, there's fire, so a higher concentration of meth arrests probably means that there are more meth labs.

I don't mean to suggest that there's NO meth problem in Cookeville. But I would hardly call it "meth capitol of Tennessee."

Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM

275 posts, read 1,121,616 times
I have just moved here from Gulfport, MS.
I can say that the meth problem here is less than the big city's.
You can't get away from it...
all you can do is keep your kids informed to the dangers about it.
just my $.02
-henry

Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 AM

323 posts, read 739,552 times
idk, I have enough land around me. My kids aren't in school and have no drug problems. Actually drugs anger them so I guess I did a good job raising them.

The only Meth I ever hear about is on the news. I know of 2 guys busted in Jackson County in the last few years. One was caught before it blew up. The other was caught BECAUSE it blew up. That wa along time ago tho.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 AM

421 posts, read 1,684,171 times
Yeah,the meth problem in Putnam has been GREATLY reduced!

The first city in the state & the 3rd in the country to put restructions on cold medicines containing ephredrine & pseudoephedrine.
It did used to make me kinda mad to have to go to the pharmacy counter & show my I.D.(and they write your info down!) just to get some Sudafed.

But I got used to it & it sure looks like it worked! Along with real aggressive enforcement & prosecution.

Meth lab busts are few & far between in Putnam now.At least you don't see them in the Herald...And believe me,they would be front page news.They always used to be!

firepower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville