Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
From the rumor mill I heard Publix 2 years ago was looking at the Cookeville area.. but between Kroger's & Food City. Publix's would have to have a major PR campaign.
I don't know what Publix's strategy is in smaller towns, but the strategy in Nashville certainly wasn't 'test the waters'. They didn't build in under-served areas where there were no Krogers. They have gone toe-to-toe with them in a lot of places, and have built within a mile of an existing Kroger, if not across the street. Now there are about 25 Publix in the Nashville metro, with 2 more in Clarksville. Since Cookeville is in the Nashville TV market, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they located a store or two in Cookeville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 01:25 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Again heard this weekend that the Kroger Marketplace is planned for NE Cookeville near Hwy 111...the development is called Kroger Village(s)...the person telling me this couldn't confirm the story's reliability....however.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:20 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Again heard this weekend that the Kroger Marketplace is planned for NE Cookeville near Hwy 111...the development is called Kroger Village(s)...the person telling me this couldn't confirm the story's reliability....however.
That is just depressing. I'm sure a Kroger Marketplace would thwart a Publix coming to town anytime soon. And if Kroger opens a Marketplace I wonder what they'll do with the Kroger on Jefferson.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 AM

From what I gather....the Marketplace opening would be to keep Publix out of Cookeville while maintaining Kroger on Jefferson.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
From what I gather....the Marketplace opening would be to keep Publix out of Cookeville while maintaining Kroger on Jefferson.
That would probably keep Publix out, darn it. I keep dreaming that Food Lion will sell their Cookeville locations to Publix the way they did some of their Nashville locations. But that'll probably never happen.

I'm still curious what the "several hundred thousand square feet" of retail projects the Chamber is talking about that are coming to Cookeville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 AM

That 700 jobs facility....it is happening....and it is a super secret project....I helped to pitch one of three Middle Tennessee cities for this project without knowing who was receiving my spiel.

Obviously, it has to be some sort of distribution center to need 700 employees...we don't have 700 skilled employees in our area for a new facility coming to town. I spoke to those people in a presentation style meeting, and I still do not know exactly what the project is....

Old 05-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
That 700 jobs facility....it is happening....and it is a super secret project....I helped to pitch one of three Middle Tennessee cities for this project without knowing who was receiving my spiel.

Obviously, it has to be some sort of distribution center to need 700 employees...we don't have 700 skilled employees in our area for a new facility coming to town. I spoke to those people in a presentation style meeting, and I still do not know exactly what the project is....
That is awesome!! I wish you could tell us what the company is, but I suppose it doesn't really matter. Do you know if they have to wait for the Mine Lick Creek Road interchange on I-40 to be built? I sure hope not because that's still another couple of years away.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM

Okay...by way of deduction and conferencing with a friend of mine...we think I know what it is...but can't speculate here....I think an announcement will come soon....too many people know already, and speculation is running at an all-time high...I don't know...but I have a good idea of what this facility will be...I will say this, I believe that core samples are being taken now.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Okay...by way of deduction and conferencing with a friend of mine...we think I know what it is...but can't speculate here....I think an announcement will come soon....too many people know already, and speculation is running at an all-time high...I don't know...but I have a good idea of what this facility will be...I will say this, I believe that core samples are being taken now.
Then it's a well-kept secret! I haven't heard a peep about it from any of my connections. It's exciting that they're already doing core samples. I did hear that the city is having the annexation fast-tracked so that work can begin ASAP.

I hope that this facility will spur development on that part of town. In particular, I hope some good retail will move in at the old Norwalk plant. They're almost finished demolishing the old plant, so whatever goes there will have a nice, level site with all the utilities, ready for development.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-17-2014, 10:21 AM

The problem with the Norwalk site is that the concrete which covers a quite a bit of the acreage is 8" thick. But driving by there yesterday....there remains only a small portion of the old indoor lumber mill. That is prime location for some sort of retail....they got those acres for a steal...I believe the land was in foreclosure....or had been foreclosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville