Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Eatery's Closing Surprises Employees

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. - Employees at a Cookeville restaurant found out that the business closed when they reported to work Friday.

Employees are worried they might never get paid for the work they did.

Apparently the owner didn't warn their employees this was coming. The owners said they had no choice.

NewsChannel 5.com Nashville, Tennessee - Eatery's Closing Surprises Employees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
With a name like "Toot's" it deserves to close.

;-)

Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
The restaurant owners, who live in Kentucky, blame the state's smoking ban saying it caused a 20% drop in sales. I don't believe that for a minute. I mean, I don't doubt that it caused a 20% drop in sales, but any good restaurant owner would know how to make up the difference without suddenly locking the doors and not telling the employees about it.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 AM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The restaurant owners, who live in Kentucky, blame the state's smoking ban saying it caused a 20% drop in sales. I don't believe that for a minute. I mean, I don't doubt that it caused a 20% drop in sales, but any good restaurant owner would know how to make up the difference without suddenly locking the doors and not telling the employees about it.
Yeah,I think there's more to the story than that.
I didn't get by there after the ban but before that every time I went in there (4-5 times) it was pretty full.
There are lots of other restaurants with(real) bars that the new law would seemingly be of more detriment to.

Now,there's a good spot for the Hooter's right there.Just move right in!

firepower

Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 13,673 times
there is A LOT more to the story than that... 20% drop in sales due to the smoking ban- yeah right. This restaruant was in trouble long before the smoking ban took effect. I feel terrible about the way the employees were treated and not paid. One would think the Franchising company would step in and atleast pay the employees who were owed money- hopefully they would care more about these people (especially at Christmas time) than to worry about their bottom line... but I seriously doubt that would happen! For shame, For shame!

Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
I have heard that the food and service here was marginal and I don't recall ever seeing the parking lot full. Has anyone eaten here?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:19 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
There is no excuse for treating the employees in such a manner. With that in mind, I am not surprised of the closing.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:59 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Thumbs down Sneaky, sneaky.

I don't know too much about the law, but it seems that a civil suit would be in order for the employees to get their pay. You know that the vendors for the restaurant are going to be suing for the money owed them.

Unfortunately, all the owners of Toots have to do is file for bankrupcy or even just Chapter 11 and get off the hook for a lot of their bills. It seems pretty dishonest to take an "out" like this. The owners didn't wake up that morning and say, "Hey, we can't pay our bills, let's close shop." They have seen the course they finally took for a long time.

I would demand to have my personnel file turned over to me instantly. The Holcombs are in a desparate situation and have complete access to all of their former employees personal information. That would worry me.

Let's hope that they at least settle with their employees before the holidays. I'm sure we wish all of those poor folks the best and hope they find jobs very quickly.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 13,673 times
again the Franchising company has responsibility here towards the employees. But I hear the guy who runs that is an idiot and basically let the Holcombs sink without support. i doubt the food in cookeville is any good, I have gotten sick off a few burgers from the M'boro location and that is supposed to be the original store, you know if they can't get it right the other stores won't either.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
Here is some history about Toot's at the link below,

Toot's Restaurant - About Us (http://www.toots.com/about/ - broken link)

Some info from the local paper.

Toots suddenly closes its doors.

COOKEVILLE -- Employees and customers of Toot's in Cookeville visited the restaurant Friday only to find an empty parking lot and a note announcing the location's closing.

Moderator cut: do not post copyrighted material

Welcome to the Herald-Citizen Web Page!!

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2007 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville