Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:39 PM

17 posts, read 22,776 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retired. I enjoy riding a 18-speed bike for exercise. How bicycle friendly is the Cookeville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toprudder View Post
My wife and I are retired. I enjoy riding a 18-speed bike for exercise. How bicycle friendly is the Cookeville area?
Being a college town, there are quite a few people who ride bikes around town, or at least around the university area. There aren't many dedicated bike lanes, though, and the terrain can get rather hilly. I used to go riding around town every Saturday with some friends; we'd pick a new section of town to explore on our bikes. Even though we never had the convenience of bike lanes, we never had any problems. Drivers around these parts are pretty courteous.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-07-2014, 09:09 AM

122 posts, read 263,538 times
Hey JMT,

Do you know anything about that bike trail from Cookeville to Monterey? How is it coming along? Is it still on track? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time; just wondering if it fell through. Seems that would be an awesome bike ride when or if done.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
Hey JMT,

Do you know anything about that bike trail from Cookeville to Monterey? How is it coming along? Is it still on track? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time; just wondering if it fell through. Seems that would be an awesome bike ride when or if done.
They haven't abandoned it yet, but progress is SLOW. For now it looks like they're concentrating on completing the trail between downtown Cookeville and downtown Algood. Monterey has a short 1-mile trail that goes from one end of town to the other. How they're going to connect the Monterey section to the Algood section remains a mystery. They keep insisting that it's still on track (pun not intended), but I don't know. Parts of the trail between Algood and Monterey are going to require an awful lot of major engineering projects. I wish they'd go ahead and get it done. I agree that it will be an awesome bike ride. At least going downhill from Monterey to Cookeville. I don't think I want to ride the 19 miles uphill.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM

122 posts, read 263,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
They haven't abandoned it yet, but progress is SLOW. For now it looks like they're concentrating on completing the trail between downtown Cookeville and downtown Algood. Monterey has a short 1-mile trail that goes from one end of town to the other. How they're going to connect the Monterey section to the Algood section remains a mystery. They keep insisting that it's still on track (pun not intended), but I don't know. Parts of the trail between Algood and Monterey are going to require an awful lot of major engineering projects. I wish they'd go ahead and get it done. I agree that it will be an awesome bike ride. At least going downhill from Monterey to Cookeville. I don't think I want to ride the 19 miles uphill.
Well, it still seems like it is ways off before completion. Yeah, going uphill for 19 miles would be quite the challenge. I want to do the VA Creeper Trail. I have heard great things about it.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj5773 View Post
Well, it still seems like it is ways off before completion. Yeah, going uphill for 19 miles would be quite the challenge. I want to do the VA Creeper Trail. I have heard great things about it.
I love the Virginia Creeper trail. The big difference between that one and what they're building in Putnam County is that the Virginia Creeper replaced an abandoned railroad line, whereas the Putnam County trail will be alongside an existing railroad line. The Virginia Creeper has created quite a few jobs in that area and is wildly popular. The trail deposits bikers right in the middle of the quaint little town of Damascus which has all kinds of shops and cafés set up for weary bikers. I could see that very easily in both Monterey and Cookeville at either end of the Putnam County trail.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 AM

181 posts, read 692,249 times
I grew up in the Damascus area in the '50's and the town was nothing. Now with a population of less than 1000 there are 7 bicycle rental shops making shuttle runs from Damascus to White Top Station every hour, on the hour, during the warmer months. There are no hard numbers but 150,000 to 200,000 are the numbers used for yearly visitors to the area. I'm sure that number includes their Trail Days Festival each May.

It's worth the 4 hour trip from Cookeville to bike the Va. Creeper Trail.......all 17 miles from White Top to Damascus is down hill. If you are really hard core you can tackle the entire 34 mile trail from White Top Station to Abingdon, Va.

Here is a link to, I think, the best web site about the Trail. The Virginia Creeper Trail

Old 06-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info. We would be moving from Memphis, which was not bike friendly for many of the past years, but within the last 5 or so has developed many bike trails that have dedicated lanes at the edge of the roadway. Some others along the banks of the Wolf River, and another from Shelby Farms along an abandoned railroad right-of-way all the way to the University of Memphis area. Plans now are to connect it to downtown and even across the Harahan Railroad bridge across the Mississippi River into Arkansas. When we move, I will miss that.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 PM

181 posts, read 692,249 times
Our son lives in Memphis and is a bike fanatic.........well since his trip over the handle bars..........he is now more into photographing bike races. He loves riding at Shelby Farms.

You will find a good place to ride in this area is between Cookeville and Livingston on TN 111. Huge wide shoulders = safe biking.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:20 AM

Thanks again. I hope he was not hurt, and that he will continue to ride his bicycle; it is a great exercise and you can enjoy the scenery while doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville