Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:35 AM

212 posts, read 922,919 times

Advertisements

I am looking for assistance to get an idea of the cost of utilities in the Cookeville area. I understand that garage pickup is included within the city limits. True? Further questions:
1. Are sewer charges part of the water bill or property taxes?
2. What is the charge for each kWh used for electricity?
3. What is the charge for each Therms used for gas?
I'm sure this information would prove to be beneficial to all who are calculating their monthy expenses if they were to live in the area.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
http://www.cookeville-tn.org/

Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM

17 posts, read 80,670 times
I justed noticed that the paper bill I receive isn't broken out exactly like the account history you can view online...hmmm....anyway....

Electric avg is about $0.085/KWH

Sewer
10 units = $8.50, 20 units = $11.50, 30 units = $11.76

Water
10 units = $7.13, 20 units = $7.13, 30 units, $11.76
(paper bill lists $6.50 for 10 units, and $.64 in taxes)

Water Storage
10 units = $.11, 20 units = $.22, 30 units = $.33
(paper bill lists $.10 for 10 units)

I haven't used gas in several months, so there may have been a rate increase but it was about $1.65/unit. There is a $5.00 base fee if you have service, but use no units.

The city does provide trash pickup, leaf pickup. There isn't a line item for this on the utility bill, so it may be rolled into property taxes some way.

Oh and there is talk of a new 'solid waste fee' to be added to utility bills instead of raising property taxes.......

Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arblair79 View Post
I justed noticed that the paper bill I receive isn't broken out exactly like the account history you can view online...hmmm....anyway....

Electric avg is about $0.085/KWH

Sewer
10 units = $8.50, 20 units = $11.50, 30 units = $11.76

Water

Water Storage
10 units = $.11, 20 units = $.22, 30 units = $.33
(paper bill lists $.10 for 10 units)

I haven't used gas in several months, so there may have been a rate increase but it was about $1.65/unit. There is a $5.00 base fee if you have service, but use no units.

The city does provide trash pickup, leaf pickup. There isn't a line item for this on the utility bill, so it may be rolled into property taxes some way.

Oh and there is talk of a new 'solid waste fee' to be added to utility bills instead of raising property taxes.......
Thank you Arblair...I'm not sure that I understand what "water storage" is? Would that be equivilant to what my bill states which is "water delivery?"
It seems that many people complain about their water bills in the southeast so I was trying to get a handle on how much a monthly bill would be for the average size family. Thank you again for your assistance

Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll View Post
Thank you Arblair...I'm not sure that I understand what "water storage" is? Would that be equivilant to what my bill states which is "water delivery?"
It seems that many people complain about their water bills in the southeast so I was trying to get a handle on how much a monthly bill would be for the average size family. Thank you again for your assistance
The water storage fee is what the Corps of Engineers is charging Cookeville and other cities who get their water from COE lakes. A couple of years ago the COE realized there was a line in their contract with Cookeville that allows the COE to charge Cookeville for using Center Hill Lake. It's a weird scheme, but essentially they can charge Cookeville for merely having a water pump at the lake, whether the city uses it or not. And since the COE didn't charge the city for the last 30+ years, they're making the city pay the COE pay it now and pay for the last 30+ years.

It would be similar to a city who hooks you up to their sewer service but doesn't charge you for it for 30 years. Then all of a sudden they realize you should've been charged for the last 30 years and then they bill you for the last 30 years.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The water storage fee is what the Corps of Engineers is charging Cookeville and other cities who get their water from COE lakes. A couple of years ago the COE realized there was a line in their contract with Cookeville that allows the COE to charge Cookeville for using Center Hill Lake. It's a weird scheme, but essentially they can charge Cookeville for merely having a water pump at the lake, whether the city uses it or not. And since the COE didn't charge the city for the last 30+ years, they're making the city pay the COE pay it now and pay for the last 30+ years.

It would be similar to a city who hooks you up to their sewer service but doesn't charge you for it for 30 years. Then all of a sudden they realize you should've been charged for the last 30 years and then they bill you for the last 30 years.
Thanks JMT...that explains it..Although I am aware that you don't live in the area, do you have any idea of what an average family would pay for water on a monthly basis? I know you have acquaintances there I am always somewhat surprised at how much water cost in some states

Old 12-22-2007, 09:40 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll View Post
Thanks JMT...that explains it..Although I am aware that you don't live in the area, do you have any idea of what an average family would pay for water on a monthly basis? I know you have acquaintances there I am always somewhat surprised at how much water cost in some states
It looks like arblair79 covered that, but you might want to call the Cookeville Water Department and ask them what the average is:
931-520-5227

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:39 PM

17 posts, read 80,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arblair79 View Post
Water
Knew something looked funny about that.....it should be
Water.....
10 units = $7.13, 20 units = $7.13, 30 units = $8.93

As far as what water would be for an 'average' family....I have no idea. It's just me... and I do about 3 small loads of laundry a week, and hand wash a sink full of dishes about twice a week, 15 min avg shower. No watering the lawn, no washing the car, etc. And a lot of times I think they don't even come and read the meter....they just 'estimate'...

Old 12-27-2007, 04:05 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

Greedy people.......funny how they don't reimburse people when they make mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville